Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAA pre-CIP 3-class 777-200 / 772 Best Economy Seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LAA Non-refitted 777-223ER / 772 Best Economy Seating

As of July 23, 2017, there are no aircraft remaining in this configuration.

NOTE: The reconfigured / CIP 772 with new seating in Business and Economy (10 across instead of 9 across), deleted First and added Main Cabin Extra (9 across), is now flying. All 47 772s will eventually be reconfigured, so be sure which configuration you are flying, until all 772s are reconfigured and this thread becomes obsolete and is archived.

Boeing 777-223ER – 777 / 772 (47 total in fleet) There is no separate Main Cabin Extra on this aircraft (AA sells exit row seats as MCE).

Best coach seats on the aircraft appear to be 31AB, 31HJ

Bulkhead rows 20 and 30 have extended leg room; people sometimes try to cross between aisles using the space. These rows may have bassinet use although, officially, Row 20 is the only row that is to be used for bassinets.

Row 20's center section appears to have more legroom than Row 30's center section and 20AB and 20HJ have less legroom than Row 20's center section.

There is power, in the form of car cigar lighter (but slightly higher than 12VDC) charger-type power. Not available at every seat, but about one per row.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LAA pre-CIP 3-class 777-200 / 772 Best Economy Seats (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I'm currently in 30G.

Should I switch to 20G?
I think I'd make that switch - no galley and lav noise and traffic at row 20.

Interesting AA is now selling those as MCE ; they must be training us to accept nine across as something special in the air with those bulkhead seats.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
I just logged in to check seat assignments for two upcoming 772 3-class legs and noticed that Rows 20 and 30 are now sold as Main Cabin Extra.

I'm guessing the primary implication of this is that Golds can no longer get seat assignments ahead of time in these rows for free?
This changed sometime in the last two weeks.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think I'd make that switch - no galley and lav noise and traffic at row 20.

Interesting AA is now selling those as MCE ; they must be training us to accept nine across as something special in the air with those bulkhead seats.
+1 and Row 20's center section has more legroom than Row 30's center section.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze; HHonors Diamond; Amex Platinum
Couple travelling on AA 777 - which would be best for space/legroom:

31A/B/H/J or 20H/J?

MAN-FF
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by MAN-FF
Couple travelling on AA 777 - which would be best for space/legroom:

31A/B/H/J or 20H/J?

MAN-FF
That would be 31. No contest.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Regarding 31A/J having no window --- how far away is the window on the exit door? Would I be able to lean forward to take a look at the outside?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Debonaire
Regarding 31A/J having no window --- how far away is the window on the exit door? Would I be able to lean forward to take a look at the outside?
No. That'd be a "stand up, if the seatbelt light is off" thing -- several feet forward.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm flying on AA #81 from LHR-DFW in August. Flying with my son, so the exit row seats of 31 A&B or 31 H&J are not an option. We're currently in 21 H&J, but other than being near the front of the economy cabin, best I can tell, those seats don't offer any legroom.

Extra legroom for myself is my top priority; my son is young enough that pitch is not yet an issue for him. With that in mind, which of the following should I take: 20 C&D, 20 F&G, 41 C&D, or 41 F&G? Between the row 20, middle section, bulkhead aisle seats and the row 41 middle, going from five-across to four-across aisle seats, which offer better pitch? I'm not a fan of hard bulkheads that don't allow me to stretch out my legs, but from a search of this thread, it sounds like this may not be an issue for 20C or 20G.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I'm flying on AA #81 from LHR-DFW in August. Flying with my son, so the exit row seats of 31 A&B or 31 H&J are not an option. We're currently in 21 H&J, but other than being near the front of the economy cabin, best I can tell, those seats don't offer any legroom.

Extra legroom for myself is my top priority; my son is young enough that pitch is not yet an issue for him. With that in mind, which of the following should I take: 20 C&D, 20 F&G, 41 C&D, or 41 F&G? Between the row 20, middle section, bulkhead aisle seats and the row 41 middle, going from five-across to four-across aisle seats, which offer better pitch? I'm not a fan of hard bulkheads that don't allow me to stretch out my legs, but from a search of this thread, it sounds like this may not be an issue for 20C or 20G.
Take 20C (or 20G) for yourself and 20D (or 20F) for your son. Without a doubt, these have substantially more space than Row 41's center section. I was in 20G recently and it was amazing. Almost no one tries to use this middle section to cross between the two aisles except FAs and you can put your carry-on down and use it to rest your feet. Anyone under 6'1" should not be able to touch the bulkhead even if they are trying.

Have a great flight! Honestly, I see no reason to use miles to UG to J on Europe day flights if you are in the middle section of Row 20. The other seats in the center often go empty as well if there are no babies on the flight.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:57 am

777-200 center bulkhead row 20 or 30?

Travelling with 2 young children dfw/Lhr on 777. Unfortunately no MCE seats on this flight which I usually prefer. Which bulkhead row (centre section) has more space in front of it/legroom- row 20 or 30? Looking at 20cde or 30cde. Does anyone know if bassinets can be put on both locations? We don't need one but would like to AVOID being put in front of one if possible which would defeat the purpose of the extra space in front of the seats! Thanks in advance for any information!
Old May 10, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'd say that row 30 probably has the edge on space, but, you will also suffer a lot more with people using your space to cross over from one side to the other as row 30 is right by the toilets.

Both rows are bassinet rows but you don't see them used very often.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've done the row 20 bulkhead with kids and there is a ton of space, wouldn't hesitate to do so again.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We've merged your query into the existing thread (with extensive knowledge of this aircraft and a summary in the wiki).

Note:

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
I just logged in to check seat assignments for two upcoming 772 3-class legs and noticed that Rows 20 and 30 are now sold as Main Cabin Extra.

I'm guessing the primary implication of this is that Golds can no longer get seat assignments ahead of time in these rows for free?
/Moderator
Old May 10, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Txlon
Travelling with 2 young children dfw/Lhr on 777. Unfortunately no MCE seats on this flight which I usually prefer. Which bulkhead row (centre section) has more space in front of it/legroom- row 20 or 30? Looking at 20cde or 30cde. Does anyone know if bassinets can be put on both locations? We don't need one but would like to AVOID being put in front of one if possible which would defeat the purpose of the extra space in front of the seats! Thanks in advance for any information!
I have some conflicting information that says Row 30 is no longer a bassinet location.

Originally Posted by Mark_T
I'd say that row 30 probably has the edge on space, but, you will also suffer a lot more with people using your space to cross over from one side to the other as row 30 is right by the toilets.

Both rows are bassinet rows but you don't see them used very often.
According to JonNYC, who I and many others consider an extremely reliable source, Row 30 is no longer a bassinet location. Only Row 20 is as per this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23985205-post8.html

That being said, AA is not known for having much consistency when it comes to bassinets so as the bassinets were previously available in Row 30, a FA may still end up installing them there. The last 777-200 FA I spoke to said each plane is loaded with one bassinet and it is offered on a first-come, first-served basis at the gate (not check-in counter).

Furthermore, the above poster is correct that at least anecdotally, AA has very few lap infants compared to other international, long-haul carriers. This may be due to (a) one being unable to price lap infant tickets online, (b) AA's pricing desk being a complete cluster when it comes to lap infant pricing including rude agents who will hang up on you after you ask them to list the taxes they are adding to a lap infant ticket, (c) otherwise generally poor in offering any information on bassinets unlike foreign airlines and even United who publishes bassinet locations on its own seat maps, and (d) no bassinets on 757s unlike other airlines which offer them (see UA).

Originally Posted by acrollet
I've done the row 20 bulkhead with kids and there is a ton of space, wouldn't hesitate to do so again.
Agreed. Row 20's center definitively has more space than Row 30's. I sat in Row 20's center section recently and compared it visually (though not with measuring tape) and I feel very confident saying Row 20 beats Row 30 in all regards except if you end up being disturbed by a lap infant:

1. More legroom
2. Less crossover traffic
3. Not right by the restroom so no reason for anyone to congregate near you
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:19 pm

Couldn't find the post-merger equivalent of this so posting here.

Flying to NRT from LAX. Partner would like a view out the window. Will Row 20 provide that for her? Next best bet would be Row 31 but I know that is a get out of your seat and walk forward a bit followed by Row 40.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.