Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Impact of Y & B Fares on EXP and 500-mile Sticker Upgrade Priority (eSummary email)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of Y & B Fares on EXP and 500-mile Sticker Upgrade Priority (eSummary email)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others

In particular, the email sends me to a page (http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSu..._Mktg_Page.htm) that includes this interesting phrase "Within each elite level, Full-Fare Economy Class tickets booked in Y or B are confirmed first, then all other fares, in the order in which the upgrade request was received"

EXP 1 books a year out in a non-Y, non-B class, EXP 2 books a Y ticket yesterday. According to this, EXP 2 gets the first upgrade, then EXP 1.

At least all EXPs are upgraded before the first Plat in Y/B, but this does change things a bit.

Anytime I get a message "clarifying" or helping me with some benefit, I have learned to look for changed rules or downgrades hidden within.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This confirms the news we heard last year that Y/B had priority over other fare classes. Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
it still puts those exp who book that last minute Y fare in a bind but it is what it is
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
No, this helps those EXPs that book last minute Y or B. They now will jump over the rest of the EXP queue. Combine that with the trend to later and later clearing of upgrades, and it gives huge advantage to last second full economy EXP buyers.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earlier this month I looked for some mention of the Y/B priority in the EXP membership guide, but it was again omitted. If higher fares are granted priority, why on earth would AA not make this fact well-known?

I agree with the OP that this will help last-minute Y/B EXPs. Won't do much for late-buying Plats and Golds (since cheap-fare EXPs will be ahead of them).
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by eightmillionmiler
No, this helps those EXPs that book last minute Y or B. They now will jump over the rest of the EXP queue. Combine that with the trend to later and later clearing of upgrades, and it gives huge advantage to last second full economy EXP buyers.
It would matter if matter unless they booked less than 100 hours in advance and EXPs have already received upgrades. I have no issue with the Y/B priority. I doubt there are many (any?) EXPs flying to SJU next weekend on Y/B fares. That said, I see 18 open seats left on my LAX-DFW 763, and 8 on my 757 to SJU. I am am fairly sure on the 763, and I am hopeful on the other flight.
I am not sure of one part of the priority listing. I thought connecting pax had upgrade priority, but I don't know if this is in advance or only with the airport list. I burned SWU for the return nonstop SJU-LAX... Thanks to the 125K bonus, I have 4 extra
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Last minute buyers already have the option of Y-UP fares which are often cheaper than Y/B and would also jump over the EXP queue.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
at least 3 times in the past when i was traveling more and ithink before yup's, but definitely prior to me getting exp a few times when one could make it on eqm's, the ga has informed me that there was a full fare ahead of me on the ug list....because i usually buy in advance, i assumed that the full fare trumped plt....
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Does this explain why X inventory is held back on so many flights, because they suspect last minute full-fare bookings will occur? Perhaps they should just lower the window threshold because frankly its meaningless as of the past months
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by demkr
Does this explain why X inventory is held back on so many flights, because they suspect last minute full-fare bookings will occur? Perhaps they should just lower the window threshold because frankly its meaningless as of the past months
Why is it important to you that the start of the upgrade window gets moved later? If upgrades consistently come at T-4, for example, what difference does it make to you if the window opens at T4, T-100 or even T-400?

On the other hand, T-100 is not meaningless to me since more than half of my flights have been upgraded at T-100 in the last few months. Still, if it makes you feel better that the window wasn't open before your upgrade comes through, I guess my loss of benefit (and the many others who have reported that they are still getting upgrades at T-100) is of no consequence.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I am not sure of one part of the priority listing. I thought connecting pax had upgrade priority, but I don't know if this is in advance or only with the airport list.
The few times (maybe 2-3) I had to wait last minute for an upgrade and I was connecting, I have asked the agent to check if I was listed as a Through passenger. Each time, I was not. So, they manually keyed in my through status and marked me as a through, which automatically bumped me to the top of the list. So, I doubt connecting pax have upgrade priority automatically, which I believe is indicated by a "T" at the end (e.g. UPG1T for EXP).

I am not sure if this "through" designation is what it is supposed to be for connecting pax.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Folks, this is NOTHING. I repeat NOTHING new. Don't get all caught up in euphoria and think you've had an epiphany.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
....and it gives huge advantage to last second full economy EXP buyers.
TBH, isn't that how it should be? Take care of those that fly the most and more importantly (for AA) pay the most. And I'm saying this as an EXP that never buys full fare. I cannot in good conscience see anything wrong with this, even if it were a new rule.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by beerup
Last minute buyers already have the option of Y-UP fares which are often cheaper than Y/B and would also jump over the EXP queue.
Not really. The P inventory is generally the first 'first class' inventory to sell out. I rarely see a flight at other than P0 within 2-3 days before departure. K-ups are fairly flexible and book into P, true Y-ups are much more expensive (usually double) and book into A. A full F fare may be double again and most employers are generally going to pay for an arguably 'coach' fare anyway, so you're left with a full Y to comply with company policy.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Folks, this is NOTHING. I repeat NOTHING new. Don't get all caught up in euphoria and think you've had an epiphany.
Ditto. I got the email and didn't think anything of it. AA has for the past year at least (according to an EXP agent) been clearing full fare tickets before discounted regardless of their date stamp.

As long as I get my upgrade I'm happy. I only missed one segment last year, and have cleared all this year (I missed one short haul by choice as I stood by for an earlier flight).

I'd like to have it at T-100, but I recognize AA is a business and would like to fill as many of the F/J seats with higher fares.

Could this perhaps have been sent out because the EXP desk has been getting many calls inquiring about the status of wait listed SWU or sticker upgrades that have not cleared at T-100?

Also, have any GLD/PLTs received a similar email explaining their respective upgrade privileges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.