"Bonus" Elite-Qualifying Q points awarded?

Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Question "Bonus" EQP - how often?

Perhaps it's because I'm highlighting them on my spreadsheet, but it seems like the number of segments for which I received "bonus" EQP (more than the proper number for my booking code) this year is fairly high. So far, I've received such a bonus on 4 of the 30 segments which have posted this year -- more than 10%.

One thing which seems to cause this fairly often is a flight change processed by a TA or AAngel. Presumably they're changing the ticket to Y (or the cheapest class available) when the original fare class isn't available on the flight to which I'm changing.

Does this match others' experiences?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:06 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=EQPs+Pattern
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
"Bonus" Elite-Qualifying Q points awarded?

Even though i had used 2 eVIPs to upgrade to J, I was very much aware I was only entitled to .5 EQPs on this intl S fare (and this was exactly what I got on the outbound LAX-LHR segment), you can imagine my happiness when I got the 1.5 EQPs on the return leg. Hit the lottery again. Platinum challenge done. Yippee, Yahoo! Oh Joy is Life!

I have no idea why I got it one direction and not the other. BP was printed at FC AA desk. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe, wish I could figure it out as I would try to work the magic again.

Thanks to everyone on this board who helped me complete this, my second, challenge.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Uh, second challenge? eVIPs? OK... but seriously, I'd not count those miles / EQM until they "stuck" for a while. I might be wrong, but I'm a bit on the conservative side of that kind of thing - AA giveth, etc.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:33 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679325

same topic this morning.

JDiver, the points will not be taken back.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Uh, second challenge? eVIPs? OK... but seriously, I'd not count those miles / EQM until they "stuck" for a while. I might be wrong, but I'm a bit on the conservative side of that kind of thing - AA giveth, etc.
just finished gold challenge so this was my second, Jdiver.
Also, got a buddy to front the eVIPs. Sorry, should have went into more detail.

AA taketh away? Possibly. Hope not. They would demote me back to Gold then too huh? Maybe the celebration was premature. Nevermind.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:53 pm

I'm no eggspert on having EQM/EQP rescinded, I'm just conservative about these things, as I mentioned. I don't know how log you have before the 3 months are up, but keep that eye on the meter.

Maybe AAce is right - this is one thing I've no experience with; the times I've received extra miles and the like have been, iirc, when I was upgraded and the terms and conditions were not reflective of AA's filters, which gave me the miles as if I had booked into a higher fare class.

Welcome to Platinum spurg - you have the rest of this calendar year, including the flights you have made since Jan 1, to requalify for the next status year (March 1 2008 - Feb 28, 2009, or of course to qualify for EXP.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:56 pm

N.B. I have merged the two current threads dealing with this topic.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to Platinum spurg - you have the rest of this calendar year, including the flights you have made since Jan 1, to requalify for the next status year (March 1 2008 - Feb 28, 2009, or of course to qualify for EXP.
thank you, i am thrilled. OT, But, I'm confused:
So I have from Jan 1, 2007 to Dec 31st 2007 (or Feb 28 2008) to requalify?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by spurg
You qualify in a calendar year for the following program year (plus the time from your qualification date until it begins). Calendar years run January through December, so you must qualify by December 31. (Flights are credited by departure date, not arrival date.) Program years run March through February.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:03 am

Just to clarify the "Bonus", occured in 2 out of 3 segments where I upgraded using an instrument (stickers or eVIPs). It never occured on non-upgraded segments. YMMV.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:13 am

Thrilled, eh? Uh, huh, steady on now, it can go to your head; next thing you know, you'll join those who want red carpets, velvet ropes and trumpets on boarding.

But yes, you qualify in a calendar year for what remains of that calendar year and the following status year when not on a challenge. E.g. for Platinum, fly 50k EQM or EQP or the required segments in C/Y 2007 for Mar 1 2008 - Feb 28 2009 status year.

The Challenge works differently; your Challenge status will end Feb 29, 2008 because you flew it early in the year. Fly it in (basically) the second half, it would have persisted through 28 Feb 2009. Ergo, you have C/Y 2007 to earn the EQM / EQP / fly the segments you will need for the 2008-09 status year.

The sticky has much more detail...

Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Just to clarify the "Bonus", occured in 2 out of 3 segments where I upgraded using an instrument (stickers or eVIPs). It never occured on non-upgraded segments. YMMV.
My most recent flights posted as such:

PHL-DFW 1.5x EQP (Fare: O)
DFW-HNL 1.0x EQP (Fare: X from O)

As you can see, I received double and triple the amount of EQPs I should have... I'm curious to see how the return flights post (HNL-DFW Fare "O" and DFW-PHL Fare "X" from "O")

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.