Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Hope this promotion is still on when I'm back in NYC in 3 weeks time
Pay for it on my BA amex and get the BA miles, pay in $ with the current exchange rate, and get lots of lovely AA miles too. Cant see a downside- apart from what to do with all the cheese
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:17 pm

I did go to a Super Target this p.m. and they had neither the fondue nor the cheese wheel. Jeez....I am thinking only certain parts of the country may have this. While we were at Super Target my wife called my daughter to ask her if any of the stores in her area had the cheese and was trying to explain why it had to be this kind of cheese. I asked my wife to keep her voice down while trying to explain the thought process while on the cell phone.....other people might think we are crazy
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Can anyone shed any light on whether this will work with UK based accounts too? I think £400 for a transatlantic J ticket sounds a good deal
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:57 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by Fraser
Can anyone shed any light on whether this will work with UK based accounts too? I think £400 for a transatlantic J ticket sounds a good deal
A fellow lurker from the BA board.... great minds think alike eh Fraser
Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
No reason why it won't according to the (visible) t&c but your fuel bill for your weekly shop might be a bit high.
Must admit I found myself wondering where the nearest supermarket in Vegas on my next UK to US jaunt is in relation to my hotel.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Lv2Trvl
We did leave a few wheels on the shelf (they did not have the fondue) - so if anyone is in the area ...
And here I was thinking that I'd never see them in this part of the country. Guess I'm going to Albertsons on my lunch today.

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by duchy
No reason why it won't according to the (visible) t&c but your fuel bill for your weekly shop might be a bit high.
Must admit I found myself wondering where the nearest supermarket in Vegas on my next UK to US jaunt is in relation to my hotel.
I was thinking more along the lines of hassle free tickets for my UK based parents. I could buy the fondue using one of my UK billed credit cards and I could get the miles to their account.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I've never seen this stuff. I'm thinking maybe it's not available in Okla. Does anyone know?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:07 pm

After eating £400 of cheese, I think you won't fit into Y anyway.

I plan to donate any cheese I get, since several charities want extra food at Thanksgiving here in the US.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExtraInRedShirt
Found a couple of items on Amazon (1 cheese wheel $3.59, 1 Fondue $7.99).
I presume the cheese wheel at $3.59 would earn the 500 miles too?

This could be really interesting if it works out. Anyone been to a Costco yet? My wife is a member of our local one, I'll pop in this weekend.

I went into a Food Lion on my way home from work and they said they have no fondue, neither did our upmarket supermarket (Ukrops) then again I asked about fondue and not cheese wheels...

Originally Posted by rrgg
After eating £400 of cheese, I think you won't fit into Y anyway.

I plan to donate any cheese I get, since several charities want extra food at Thanksgiving here in the US.
I've done this kind of bulk buying things before in the UK with coffee, biscuits and frozen beef and always found a good home for them. Whether it be the swans on the local canal, the homeless shelter or the dog belonging to one of the customers at the bank I worked summers at. The latter case was quite funny because you could see the Jack Russell gaining weight each week
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:17 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Washington DC suburbs:

Macgruder's - they sell Emmi products but nothing with the AA promo
Giant Foods - nothing
Food Lion - nothing

I'll pass a Harris Teeter on my way home and check there.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:28 pm

I presume the cheese wheel at $3.59 would earn the 500 miles too?
Well, there is no way to tell, though, if that cheese has the AA promotion on it.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by rrgg
Aw, that sounds really nice. If I find any of these at my local Kroger I will do this as well. ^
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by chamonix
Aw, that sounds really nice. If I find any of these at my local Kroger I will do this as well. ^
I plan on getting the charity to help me, a la "Pudding Guy"

Now, I just have to hope that Albertson's puts this stuff on their 10 for $10 sale
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I plan on getting the charity to help me, a la "Pudding Guy"

Now, I just have to hope that Albertson's puts this stuff on their 10 for $10 sale
One would only hope, given that my Albertsons had plenty of the wheels - albeit at $5 apiece.

With the packaging the way that it is on the wheels (that is, the code on the inside), I'm thinking that enlisting the food bank may well be the way to go. I don't know whether they'd be as willing to accept opened food product (even though the cheese inside is, itself, sealed).

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.