Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club & oneworld Airline Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

GRU São Paulo Guarulhos International Airport
Admirals Club and other lounges contracted by oneworld partner airlines

Link to GRU airport information on aa.com
Link to GRU website (English)
Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool
Link to GRU Admirals Club page on aa.com

GRU T-3 Admirals Club
Access: Accessible to those qualifying passengers departing on AA marketed and operated flight.
Amenities:
  • USB and AC power at seats (need plug adapter to use AC)
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Business Center
  • PCs with Internet access
  • Self-service hot and cold food, variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
  • Children's Room
  • Flat screen televisions
  • Two shower suites with amenities
  • Telephones
Link to photos by Mestre das Milhas (Brasil).
Link to article with extensive photos

LATAM VIP lounge
Access: Eligible passengers departing on British Airways or Iberia flights
Hours: For current hours and further information, please see here.
Amenities:
"Notes: LATAM Airlines Group's first joint VIP lounge, offering abundant natural light and an unparalleled view of the airport. In addition to an entertainment room with individual tablets, video games and wi-fi connection throughout, the lounge is separated into various sections, each with its own ambiance. All seating is equipped with power sockets and USB ports, thus enabling customers to remain connected at all times. For those who prefer to relax, the lounge offers exclusive shower rooms and bathing products with scents of tropical Brazilian fruits. The buffet of hot and cold dishes is nearly 30 meters long and offers a wide selection of culinary options. Customers can also choose from a wide variety of premium beverages or relax with a draft beer at the bar."

Executive Lounge GRU Airport Operated by a third party.
Access: Eligible passengers departing on Qatar Airways flights
Opening hours: Daily: 07:00-02:30
Amenities:
  • Free Wifi
  • Food and Beverages
  • Showers
  • Wheelchair access
  • Television

Older and obsolete posts regarding the old GRU AA lounge facility have been archived; they can be read at: ARCHIVE: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club (consolidated)

Special Information: U.S. Citizens: You must obtain your Brazilian visa in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to your place of residence in the United States. Visas cannot be obtained at the airport, and immigration authorities will refuse entry into Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa. (This is waived for a time period about the Olympic Games.)

For visas, you may use a visa service in the city with the Brazilian Consulate serving your geographical area. To submit documents and interview for a visa, you can only use the Brazilian Consulate with jurisdiction serving the area where you live. Each Consulate may have different requirements and time frames for securing your visa; check the requirements of the Consulate having jurisdiction over where you live. You will not be allowed to apply at any other Consulate than the one with jurisdiction.

List of Brazilian Consulates in the U.S.A. with links to their sites. Note, some may not work.
Print Wikipost

Guide: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club & oneworld Airline Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:28 pm

About the hassle of transferring from GRU to CGH.

This past two months I have been doing this GRU-CGH route many times.
If you buy a LATAM ticket from CGH to SDU, you will be entitled to use the free shuttle bus that departs from T2.
It may take from 45 minutos to one hour and 30 minutes. It really depends on the traffic and the amount of people that is going to transfer, but from my experience these buses are usually packed during late morning and afternoon.

If Rio is your destination, I would also choose SDU. The same way I would choose CGH if São Paulo was the place you wanted to be. Think like LCY and LHR. The same applies to these airports.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by pb9997
Given the options you point out I would definitely choose a flight towards SDU as you are already inside Rio and get the chance of a magnificent view when approaching for landing, instead of GIG which sits in Ilha do Governador, highly inconvenient if you ask me from many perspectives.
GIG lies within the Rio city limits. Arriving at SDU can be more convenient, because its a small and fully domestic airport, but a connection, especially at GRU, is very much a hassle that is worse than any traffic when crossing the city.

Originally Posted by daftboy
I'm travelling to Brazil next February, around Carnival. We arrive on BA from London at 6am, and need to connect to Rio for which I will buy a separate ticket. I am BA Gold/OW Emerald (and can prob get a *A Gold status match through TK if needed).
You should definitely change that flight to the nonstop to Rio, since it arrives late in the evening, when there's no traffic towards downtown.

As domestics these all leave from T2 I understand. If we went with LATAM would we be able to check in at T2 and then transit airside to T3 to use the LATAM lounge and then get back to T2? If we went with Avianca or Gol would any lounge otherwise be accessible in T2 (paid or via status, assuming I had any)?
Once you arrive at GRU, you're not allowed to use any of the facilities destined for international departures. You have to go through immigration and clear customs right away. The only airside lounge in the domestic part belongs to Bradesco, which allows entrance to AMEX Platinum card holders, but does not sell access.

Paying for access of a domestic lounge is only possible at GIG:
https://www.plaza-network.com/locati...neiro&lang=en#
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by C010T3
GIG lies within the Rio city limits. Arriving at SDU can be more convenient, because its a small and fully domestic airport, but a connection, especially at GRU, is very much a hassle that is worse than any traffic when crossing the city.
Thank you for all of this helpful advice C010T3 (and indeed the other posters) - just to check, you are saying above that I should stick with GRU rather than transfer to CGH on the bus? Or is it easier to go to CGH (given the wider range to options to RIO)?

Understood no lounge available at GRU, and the plusses/minuses re arriving at SDU vs GIG. This is an award booking and no availability to GRU at present so I am stuck with GRU for now.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by geoshina
About the hassle of transferring from GRU to CGH.

This past two months I have been doing this GRU-CGH route many times.
If you buy a LATAM ticket from CGH to SDU, you will be entitled to use the free shuttle bus that departs from T2.
It may take from 45 minutos to one hour and 30 minutes. It really depends on the traffic and the amount of people that is going to transfer, but from my experience these buses are usually packed during late morning and afternoon.

If Rio is your destination, I would also choose SDU. The same way I would choose CGH if São Paulo was the place you wanted to be. Think like LCY and LHR. The same applies to these airports.
It (GRU-CGH) can take even longer than one hour and 30 if the 23 May Highway is super backed up with the period of traffic lights after the Marginal Tiete exit (or worse if you take the Dutra). My son lives in Aclimacao off the 23 May and sometimes it takes at least an hour and a half to just get there. This is a driving transfer to avoid.

Flying into GIG or SDU depends on where you want to be. If it is the business district, Botafogo or Copa/Leblon/Ipanema then SDU is the way to go. If it is Barra da Tijuca (western zone of Rio), I recommend GIG.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:54 pm

You should definitely change that flight to the nonstop to Rio, since it arrives late in the evening, when there's no traffic towards downtown.

Once you arrive at GRU, you're not allowed to use any of the facilities destined for international departures. You have to go through immigration and clear customs right away. The only airside lounge in the domestic part belongs to Bradesco, which allows entrance to AMEX Platinum card holders, but does not sell access.

Paying for access of a domestic lounge is only possible at GIG:
https://www.plaza-network.com/locati...neiro&lang=en#
If your choices are flying to GRU and then continuing on to SDU (with a terminal change) or GRU and then shuttling to CGH, hands down, see if you can find a flight from GRU to SDU. Changing terminals at GRU is cake compared with a drive in some of the worst traffic in the western hemisphere (Sao Paulo).
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:45 pm

Thank you for all of this helpful advice C010T3 (and indeed the other posters) - just to check, you are saying above that I should stick with GRU rather than transfer to CGH on the bus? Or is it easier to go to CGH (given the wider range to options to RIO)?

Understood no lounge available at GRU, and the plusses/minuses re arriving at SDU vs GIG. This is an award booking and no availability to GRU at present so I am stuck with GRU for now.
I understand. That Gol flight to SDU seems convenient enough compared to the others. You should go for it. I did not mean that connecting at GRU is bigger hassle than changing airports. I only meant that arriving directly at GIG is much more convenient than the GRU-SDU connection. There are some members that argue that GRU-SDU is more convenient, which is absurd.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:04 am

I understand. That Gol flight to SDU seems convenient enough compared to the others. You should go for it. I did not mean that connecting at GRU is bigger hassle than changing airports. I only meant that arriving directly at GIG is much more convenient than the GRU-SDU connection. There are some members that argue that GRU-SDU is more convenient, which is absurd.
GIG or SDU choice is all about where you need to be in Rio. SDU is super close to downtown, Copa and beaches. GIG is better if you are heading to west side (Barra da Tijuca for example).
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:37 am
HMO

If OP is able to change the ticket to a direct flight, I agree with you.
But if OP already have the GRU ticket (and cannot change it), then is better to purchase a GRU-SDU ticket than a GRU-GIG ticket.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
I assume OP first time in Rio shall be either in Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon hotels, where the major chains have their main properties for tourists, thus SDU is closer than the far away, huge and sterile GIG.

Once the LHR-GRU is secured, and because there is a very convenient flight GRU-SDU available, SDU seems to be the very best and smartest option as OP shall have the chance of the beautiful views upon arriving in SDU either Cristo Redentor, Sugar Loaf, or whatever route the descending flight may take. With the added convenience of avoiding traffic jams in the morning both in Rio or SP.

If OP is budget conscious then cabbing from SDU, is so much more affordable than GIG...
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:25 am

If OP is budget conscious then cabbing from SDU, is so much more affordable than GIG...
That is only true if he stays in (or close) the neighbourhoods you mentioned. Though if he is really conscious, he must know that bussing to GIG costs the same as to SDU.

Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon hotels, where the major chains have their main properties for tourists
That is no longer true.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
That is no longer true.
Instead of snapping at whom thinks differently, tries to help and assist FTers, please care to elaborate your negatives.

In my experience, first time tourists to Rio prefer to stay at the main beaches Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon, considering being in Leblon also the Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort. Barra and west area are considered far away either for day activities, the main tourist attractions or night life.

If you view it differently, please educate us all in a collaborative way.

Thank you.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:18 pm

Instead of snapping at whom thinks differently, tries to help and assist FTers, please care to elaborate your negatives.

In my experience, first time tourists to Rio prefer to stay at the main beaches Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon, considering being in Leblon also the Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort. Barra and west area are considered far away either for day activities, the main tourist attractions or night life.

If you view it differently, please educate us all in a collaborative way.

Thank you.
You're the one doing the snapping. I quoted one very specific part of what you wrote. You should read more carefully.

I commented on something which is not a matter of thought or reflection. It's either a fact or it isn't.
What are the major chains that currently exist? Let's list them:
Marriott
Hilton
Starwood
IHG
Hyatt
Choice Hotels
Wyndham
Best Western
Meliá
Accor

There might be others, but I cannot recall any other that can be considered major that is also present in Rio.
For purposes of this analysis, let's consider Vidigal part of Leblon, since that's how Starwood tricks its guests.
The concept of "main" is rather subjective, it could be the either the largest property, the property carrying the flagship brand of the chain or even the most luxurious property of the chain. When all these concepts don't coincide, I'll list more than one property.
Here's the list of the locations of the properties:

Marriott - Jacarepaguá (largest), Copacabana (most luxurious)
Hilton - Jacarepaguá
Starwood - Leblon
IHG - Santo Cristo
Hyatt - Barra da Tijuca
Choice Hotels - Jacarepaguá
Wyndham - Recreio
Best Western - Copacabana
Meliá - São Conrado
Accor - Copacabana
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Por favor, gente!

Returning to the issue of connections to SDU, don't forget that there is also the option of Azul. It's rather less convenient, being tucked away in the grim Terminal 4, but we tend to forget about them as they don't show in Expertflyer etc. They have GRU-CGH departures at 825, 1210, 1310, 1750, and 1950 (at least on the random February day I looked at).

Unless you have the AmEx, you definitely won't find a lounge for a domestic connection. There's Red Lobster landside in Terminal 2 which makes for a reasonably pleasant place to wait, but not at that time in the morning. If it were me, I would consider either of these two options:

1. Book at day room at the GRU Marriott and an afternoon/evening flight to Rio. That way, you need worry neither about lounge nor misconnections, but can check your bags and then head off to bed for a few hours.

2. If it were me, I would take the opportunity to stay a night or two in São Paulo, the ugly duckling of these two cities but one that I adore. Although to be honest, you would love a stopover the most after returning from carnaval in Rio.

Either way, make sure you get a window seat on the right-hand side on your flight to CGH.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Por favor, gente!

1. Book at day room at the GRU Marriott and an afternoon/evening flight to Rio. That way, you need worry neither about lounge nor misconnections, but can check your bags and then head off to bed for a few hours.
If you wanna go cheap, you can always opt for a Slaviero Fast Sleep at T2 Arrivals, where you can rest and take a shower while waiting for the next flight to Rio.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:18 am

You're the one doing the snapping. I quoted one very specific part of what you wrote. You should read more carefully.

I commented on something which is not a matter of thought or reflection. It's either a fact or it isn't.
What are the major chains that currently exist? Let's list them:
Marriott
Hilton
Starwood
IHG
Hyatt
Choice Hotels
Wyndham
Best Western
Meliá
Accor

There might be others, but I cannot recall any other that can be considered major that is also present in Rio.
For purposes of this analysis, let's consider Vidigal part of Leblon, since that's how Starwood tricks its guests.
The concept of "main" is rather subjective, it could be the either the largest property, the property carrying the flagship brand of the chain or even the most luxurious property of the chain. When all these concepts don't coincide, I'll list more than one property.
Here's the list of the locations of the properties:

Marriott - Jacarepaguá (largest), Copacabana (most luxurious)
Hilton - Jacarepaguá
Starwood - Leblon
IHG - Santo Cristo
Hyatt - Barra da Tijuca
Choice Hotels - Jacarepaguá
Wyndham - Recreio
Best Western - Copacabana
Meliá - São Conrado
Accor - Copacabana
Don't forget Novotel in Jacarepagua - across the street from Hilton. Stayed there for a few days and not bad. Also, I believe the Ramada on the beach (used to be a Sheraton) in Barra da Tijuca. The Hyatt is limited service - saw it a year and a half ago when under construction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.