Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW / Dallas Fort Worth BA "Executive Club" Contract Lounge (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW / Dallas Fort Worth BA "Executive Club" Contract Lounge (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
As an EXP

I got in there once, with difficulty, and really not worth the effort--more a matter of principle than anything else. I got the third degree when I got off the elevator, guy had to check the rules. Finally rec'd a glass of wine, nothing of note to eat. If you are up for a challenge, go for it. Must get these guys trained to let us in.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
I got in this month departing for SJO on AA in Y. The first agent who checks BPs for the several different lounges tried redirecting me to the AC but I argued my OW level allows ANY OW lounge access and she let me pass to the
BA clubroom where the real fight began.

BA clearly wants to reserve their lounge for their own premium pax and eligible others flying BA. There were 3 BA Executive Club Gold Card (OW Emerald level) pax off the inbound BA flight from London in ClubWorld, now connecting to AA domestic Y and even they were having trouble. I've read BA's benefits for their Executive Club Gold Level Elites and it is BA Lounge access REGARDLESS of carrier flown-ANY flight taken on ANY carrier and they are entitled to lounge access.

The lounge attendent called the station manager as I was quite insistent on my eligibility to enter the lounge. The station manager made an "exception" and admitted all 4 of us AA departing pax and warned not to expect to be admitted again if departing on AA. She was very polite but clearly under firm orders.

They try to use the excuse that the lounge "is" or "will be" full with all their departing London bound pax and they need to have space to accomodate their own pax. Since we all could see the lounge was fairly empty and the BA flight was departing in just over an hour it was obvious the lounge was not going to be overflowing and the agent confirmed BA's flight to be booked lightly.

It is the same policy as implimented by the Miami Terrace Lounge where the interior of the lounge is not visible from the gate keepers desk. They will first deny an AA EXP or PLT flying AA on an int'l intinerary is eligible to enter, then if you argue or present written rules, they switch to the reason that the lounge is full so they have the right to refuse you.

While there are a few snack items and an on demand machine for a variety of coffees, the open bar liquor is provided by servers and not self-pour and the seating not really more comfortable than in the AC. The DFW club is not furnished the same as other of the Terrace "cookie cutter" locations with the standard deck type chairs for relaxing by a fountain in the "tranquillity" area. Overall, BA does not offer an appreciably better lounge than the AC and it is not worth the hassle of arguing with the agent for admittance.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
No problems for me, and it's never crowded when I'm there. You can tell admitting "our kind" is not something they do often, i.e. lots of "up and down" card analysis, murmurs back and forth, fake smiles. Oh well, I get my revenge by tearing up the bar.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by Abidjan
No problems for me, and it's never crowded when I'm there. You can tell admitting "our kind" is not something they do often, i.e. lots of "up and down" card analysis, murmurs back and forth, fake smiles. Oh well, I get my revenge by tearing up the bar.
Do you mean to say they admit you when you are OW eligible and flying AA without trying to get you to go to the AC instead? I neglected to mention one other condition they tried to offer as part of "their special admit policy"- they give preference to AA's premium departing pax but Y pax on AA should report to the AC for lounge use if entitled under OW rules (if Emerald or Sapphire level elite).

As nice as it was to have a metal fork and knife available to use to eat my tea sandwich, definitely not interested in another battle with the gate keeper to receive my OW benefits of BA lounge admission-too much hassle.

Amazing how Cathay welcomes eligible OW customers even if they are flying OW carriers other than Cathay (in other words, they follow the OW rules) and BA stonewalls us to use AA's lounge in DFW and MIA-maybe other cities as well.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:48 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Never had a problem as QF Gold or now Platinum, even on domestic tickets. You might be able to thumb through the guest book and see my name there...

I like this lounge because it's quieter and the snacks are marginally better. The booze isn't nearly as good but it doesn't require a drink chit and no tipping is necessary or expected.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:58 am

Morning - yes, it's always before an AA international flight. They always remind me I have the AC at my disposal. A quick smile, and a "aw shucks it's much nicer in your club," and I'm on way into the club. As Spiff suggests, it's a nice place to hang.

Originally Posted by pgppetch
Do you mean to say they admit you when you are OW eligible and flying AA without trying to get you to go to the AC instead?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Tried it one time, and got the "capacity may be an issue" speech from the initial checker. He checked inside, and they let us in. Actually, probably shouldn't have. Due to late flights, it was very crowded. Considerably inferior, IMO, to the "D' AC, so we went over there. Y'ain't missin' much.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by brp
Considerably inferior, IMO, to the "D' AC, so we went over there. Y'ain't missin' much.

Cheers.
In complete agreement with you.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pgppetch
...It is the same policy as implimented by the Miami Terrace Lounge where the interior of the lounge is not visible from the gate keepers desk. They will first deny an AA EXP or PLT flying AA on an int'l intinerary is eligible to enter, then if you argue or present written rules, they switch to the reason that the lounge is full so they have the right to refuse you...
I have never, as variously AA EXP and PLT, had the slightest difficulty using the BA lounge at MIA. (I've never tried at DFW.) I'm usually asked why, which is not an unreasonable question. I that "I always go to the AC, and wanted different scenery for a change." The agent then takes down my AA number and lets me in with - believe it or not, based on some reports here - a smile.

I suspect it might be different if the place really was packed to the gills, but I have yet to encounter that situation. Perhaps my AA/LAN Chile flights to South America haven't coincided with peak BA lounge usage hours.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:47 pm

That makes two of us - I too have been lucky, I guess.
Originally Posted by Efrem
I have never, as variously AA EXP and PLT, had the slightest difficulty using the BA lounge at MIA.

As for the BA lounge, yes the D AC wins for space/view, no question. But it sure is nice to have a quiet place, the drink/food spread at your disposal, and a nice selection of reading material. ^
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I also never had any issues with BA anywhere. Oh wait, once in MIA, but I told them I am going inside to wait for her station manager to come and discuss the situation with me. He never came and I enjoyed the lounge.

The DFW contract witch thinks she is the Queen's first cousin, and acts accordingly, but I always got in. I think it opens at 12:30PM and it is often much quieter than the D AC and you get unlimited drinks without the pesky chits...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
The premier AC in the USA is in terminal D. Why bother with BA? Use the AC you pay for and enjoy it.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Count me amongst those who "breached security" and penetrated the BA inner sanctum. I did have to fend off some interference at both the initial screening at the desk in the corridor, and then again at the very threshold to the "inner sanctum" itself. And after all that effort..... the lounge is small and disappointing. As others have said, this is the rare case where the AA lounge option is clearly superior.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Did two MRs to LGW via DFW, on AA metal in coach, late Feb & early Mar and had no problem getting into the BA lounge with my Plat card.

I went to the D Term AA AC first, and while the view is nicer, it was crowded and the snacks are nearly as good.

The BA lounge is much nicer for coziness, reading material, and the staff were very nice to me and even a bit chatty when I was still there once after the lounge cleared out when the BA passengers left for their flight. They had no problem with my staying there by myself up to closing (30 minutes later), and several times offered to get me another beer.

Steve
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA53
The premier AC in the USA is in terminal D. Why bother with BA? Use the AC you pay for and enjoy it.
And both ACs in MIA ( even the old resurrected E club ) are better than the dingy dump BA uses as club currently in MIA.

mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.