Wiki Posts
Search

Building the right carry on setup for next week

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Building the right carry on setup for next week

I missed out on all the fun this past week and am flying out on Monday morning I've read the AA.com carry on guidelines and am trying to put together a carry on that I can actually carry on. In the end it all comes down to toiletries, and I've come up with the following:

1) Shampoo / Conditioner - don't need it, I can get it for free at the hotel
2) Hair gel - don't need it (short hair)
3) Shaving cream - Is this ok if in a sealed container? If not then I may go for the old fashioned shaving soap
4) Toothpaste - Has anyone found the old fashioned tooth powder, or any equivalent?
5) Deodorant - don't need it Ok, actually I do. Is "speed stick" considered a gel? I would think it is more of a solid.

If I can't get the shaving cream / toothpaste then I'll probably just spend an extra $8 per stay to buy them at the gift shop.

A smart hotel chain would put out an advertisement that includes toothpaste/deodorant/shaving cream.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
If you have to buy deodorant and toothpaste on each trip, Walgreens and equivalent stores all have the "trial size" or "travel size" sections of these and other grooming necessities.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Just now

got an email from Omni hotels. They are putting together a really nice collections of items for travelers. Smart folk at Omni Hotels! It is all no charge for guests.

www.omnihotels.com http://www.omnihotels.com/AboutOmniH...ssRelease.aspx

This was sent to me, so it is women's products. I'm sure they have a men's products list also containing all the needed items.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Aug 12, 2006 at 11:38 am Reason: add info
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I still am planning to follow my existing rules:

Don't check bags unless you have absolutely no other option!

Don't check ANYTHING irreplacable, valuable, or that you cannot afford to do without for 2-3 days. Always assume that your bags will be delayed!

My only complication is a prescription cream that I must use every day. I took it out of its box that had the pharmacy label on it before my trip. I'm thinking that rather than carrying it on and risking losing it (or a lot of time being interrogated by the TSA), I'll just check it and call in a refill to the pharmacy in advance, so I can pick up the refill the day the same day I arrive, assuming that my checked bag might not make it.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I missed out on all the fun this past week and am flying out on Monday morning I've read the AA.com carry on guidelines and am trying to put together a carry on that I can actually carry on. In the end it all comes down to toiletries, and I've come up with the following:

1) Shampoo / Conditioner - don't need it, I can get it for free at the hotel
2) Hair gel - don't need it (short hair)
3) Shaving cream - Is this ok if in a sealed container? If not then I may go for the old fashioned shaving soap
4) Toothpaste - Has anyone found the old fashioned tooth powder, or any equivalent?
5) Deodorant - don't need it Ok, actually I do. Is "speed stick" considered a gel? I would think it is more of a solid.

If I can't get the shaving cream / toothpaste then I'll probably just spend an extra $8 per stay to buy them at the gift shop.

A smart hotel chain would put out an advertisement that includes toothpaste/deodorant/shaving cream.
I used google local to find a drugstore/supermarket/Target/wal-mart near the airport, then I will go spend the $10 on everything I need. Before I return, I will just toss the stuff.

It's worth $10 not to have to check bags
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:05 pm

I would agree, except as a female, I don't think thats possibe. even if I skip on the soap,tootpaste, etc, I think most make up i.e foundation is not allowed.
face mositutizer and make up remover, is not as easily obtainable. I also tend to fo to multiple cities in one week, so would ahve to be able to hit a drug store in every city I travel to.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Roselinda
I would agree, except as a female, I don't think thats possibe. even if I skip on the soap,tootpaste, etc, I think most make up i.e foundation is not allowed.
face mositutizer and make up remover, is not as easily obtainable. I also tend to fo to multiple cities in one week, so would ahve to be able to hit a drug store in every city I travel to.
Correct - it is only possible for us low maintenance men.

My SO is already planning to have to check bags for the foreseeable future
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
and this is AA specific how???
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:49 pm

this is the complete list from TSA.GOV

Make Up and Personal Items

Body creams and lotions
Bubble baths
Bubble bath balls (gels)
Eye drops / gels
Gel caps
Gel deodorants
Hair detangler
Hair sprays / aerosol bottles
Hair styling gels
Hand sanitizers
Lip gels (Carmex in tubes, etc)
Lip glosses/liquids (solid lip glosses and blushes are allowed)
Liquid foundations
Liquid medications (non-essential)
Liquid Soaps
Make up removers / facial cleansers
Mascaras
Mosquito sprays
Mouthwashes
Nail polishes, such as those shown here, are now prohibited from the security checkpoint and in your carry-on baggage. Nail polish and removers
Neosporin like cremes
Ointments
Perfumes / colognes
Saline Solutions
Shampoos and conditioners
Shaving creams and gels
Toothpastes
Topical creams
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
and this is AA specific how???
Because it references the guidelines posted on AA.com

If you have any other questions about content, please post these on the "nitpick" forum.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
Because it references the guidelines posted on AA.com

If you have any other questions about content, please post these on the "nitpick" forum.

huh???

I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, these new TSA regulations apply to ALL airlines, not just AA.....

and it's already discussed in the TravelBuzz and Security forums...

and once again? how is this AA specific???

Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
huh???

I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, these new TSA regulations apply to ALL airlines, not just AA.....

and it's already discussed in the TravelBuzz and Security forums...

and once again? how is this AA specific???

If you have something to ad, then please do so.

If you are a moderator, and you feel it to be necessary, then close and move the topic.

If you are not a moderator, and you have nothing to ad, then I suggest you refrain from reading this most maddening and irritating thread, so as not to disrupt your mood any further.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I have to agree this isn't AA specific. I'd move it but since there are already a lot of threads open on FT (including one on Women Travelers that applies more specifically to the challenges women are experiencing with cosmetics) - I'm going to close it instead.

Please go to TravelBuzz, Travel Safety/Security, etc. to join one of the specific threads discussing this there.

- techgirl
AA co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.