STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Awal
Just a thought but I believe the nonrefundable tickets can be canceled and you will still have one year to use the funds for future flights. Then you can rebook with the prepaid card. Maybe someone with more experience can comment.
My guess is that they'd catch this one. Only one way to find out and it will cost $10,000.

If the objective is to sell lots of these, (and otherwise why would they offer it ?), I'd think all they would have to do is make the status (and the eVIPs) good for a longer period. Even May would do it for many (yes I know about the extension and the eVIPs are not included in the extension).
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:23 pm

Programs: Platinum AAdvantage, Gold HiltonHHonors, SPG, USAir, Delta Skymiles, A+ Rewards
Do Prepaid Travel Cards Earn You Credit Card Points?

My credit card gives me a special benefit if I purchase airline tickets with it. They recognize the flight purchase transactions which show as flight departure and destination on my credit card statement. If I buy this prepaid travel card, my credit company will most probably consider the purchase as a regular merchandise purchase versus a flight purchase. I think the idea is great but for me this won't work for that exact reason...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=tokatya]My credit card gives me a special benefit if I purchase airline tickets with it. They recognize the flight purchase transactions which show as flight departure and destination on my credit card statement. If I buy this prepaid travel card, my credit company will most probably consider the purchase as a regular merchandise purchase versus a flight purchase. I think the idea is great but for me this won't work for that exact reason...[/QUOTE

Youve raised a great point in my opinion. My AX card provides travel accident insurance. I will contact them.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by workandski
If they would make the status and the funds good for a slightly longer period I would grab this. I easily spend $10,000 a year on travel but will probably never make EXP or earn an evip in the normal course. Except for one foreign vacation a year, most of my trips are short notice, high fare, domestic flights where someone else reimburses me for the fare and I use stickers to upgrade if I can. One example: I flew LAX to Des Moines last Sunday and returned on Monday. The coach fare was around $1300. I easily do a dozen trips like that in a year. I would probably squeeze in another international vacation (or two) if I had some evips to get started with and I MIGHT be able to earn EXP the honest way if I did that. The timing on this offer is bad because I am not going to be able to travel for ten weeks this fall.
Unlike many of us, this card sounds excellent for your use. And from an AA marketing perspective, you would probably squeeze in a few more LAX-<..>-DSM trips because you've already paid for them. In other words, increase usage of the product because its in effect laying around (on the plastic) just waiting to be used. Like buying a larger size of whatever, people often use what they have laying around, not what they need.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
I wonder if there would be more success by marketing to companies instead of individuals?

Certainly some companies spend more than $10k on specific people. Lets say AA approaches Company xyz and says your Employee 123 spent $15k last year but never made it beyond PLT, here's an offer to prepay $10k and give them good benefits to start. Employee wins and AA wins. I'm not so sure about company winning and with Sarbanes-Oxley, this card would be another thing to keep track of when the funds are actually used versus held as an asset.

I just don't see who the target audience is for this. I'm thinking companies but how many are going to want to park funds into AA. Travel arrangements are often on the lowest price, not investing in certain airlines. If enough people buy these cards (or gift cards for that matter) AA could slightly increase prices knowing that a certain percentage of people are going to fly AA just to use the cards they have value on.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would think the worst negative impact is on RTW ticket sales.

When you can spend the $10k for EXP status and pick your travel, the running around for RTW fares will lose incentive.

But this is a tempest in a teapot, because I doubt AA will sell enough of these cards to make a noticeable impact on mileage-EXP's.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:45 pm

Is AA canabilizing rev by forgoing $300 co pay & 25K miles upgrades???

1-do other think it should have been FOUR evips as this is a prorated explat status?

2-I would have to figure that if purchasers actually requalify for ExPlatthat evips would roll over with them.

seven months is an awful short self life on VIPS.

What effect do our expert FT's think that this short term glut of VIPS will have on those desiring miles and cash upgrades?

back in the good old days upgrade were 25,000 miles.
then 25,000 miles AND $300-.
Now 25,00 miles and $300 AND you can't get it.

I would have to think that this is a PR- goodwill nightmare for AA.

If someone spends 10K and actually takes AA metal international filghts and does not clear, I can see an angry customer. I would have to figure that AA would "extend" evips one year even if the purchaser of the card did not requalify for ExPlat.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:53 pm

good luck to NON explats trying to clear on E vips!

What effect do our expert FT's think that this short term glut of VIPS will have on those desiring miles and cash upgrades?

Hey cash is king.

So say a corporate road warrior( not a mileage runner) spends $40,000+ flying and earning ExPlat status, now his elderly parents or teenage daughter has a snowball's chance in hell of using their son's (or dad's) EVIP
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
As I've thought about this today, the extension clause makes this more palatable. Committing to $10K by Feb could be tight. But really, it's 10K by May, for the fee. If I have $2K unspent by Feb, it costs me 5% = $100 to extend that. And if the offer were a simple $100 to buy EXP for the next 7 months, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writetorich
Come on Chicken Little -- glut???
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:40 pm

Just a thought but I believe the nonrefundable tickets can be canceled and you will still have one year to use the funds for future flights. Then you can rebook with the prepaid card. Maybe someone with more experience can comment.
pay with this card, and the normal one-year rule would not apply. Not Valid After 2/28/07 would show in the ticket terms, surely...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
Having read this entire thread, I do feel there wil be some dilution to the EXP program. But hey, I would rather have the dilution if it means AA will be profitable.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:48 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
No, the rules say that if you buy a refundable ticket and cancel it, the money will be refunded back to the card. If it is beyond the expiration date of the card, you just lose the money:

"If you use the Card to make a refundable purchase, any refund (less any applicable fees and charges) will be credited to the Account only. Your ability to obtain a refund depends on the fare rules that apply to the ticket(s) or other products or services you purchase. Please allow a minimum of 12 weeks for receipt of credit. Refunds will not be credited to your Account after it expires on February 28, 2007, unless you purchase an extension, as described below."
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:28 am
dc3

already answered? - can i use this to buy AS tix?

i looked for the answer but couldn't find it...can I use this to buy AS tix?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by christep
So could I buy this as a OneWorldExplorer ticket (AONE3) on AA stock using this card?

ORD-DEL(AA292)//HKG-JFK(AA6090)-ORD(AA4133)

(I know it's a valid AONE3 routing - the question is does it meet the terms as being an AA product)
There should be some sort of a fine for such wanton misuse of an AONE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.