FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/578068-transportation-e-paper-voucher-vouchers-mco-faq-master-thread.html)

mmgm Jan 7, 2016 5:20 pm

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

I had 2 one way international tickets which I canceled to apply to a new round trip flight less the change fee of course. After they were canceled the agent told me I could only apply one to the new ticket. Because I had multiple flights before the expiration date and could not manage another one I requested a voucher less the change fee. The EXP agent spoke to her manager who agreed to the request. It was forwarded to refunds who , 2weeks later , said no.
Any suggestions?

bakster21 Jan 12, 2016 7:15 pm

Question (haven't found this on the thread so far):

I just used a voucher to purchase a trip to China coming up on 3/3 - was told to mail. In order to secure a visa, though, I must provide proof of the ticket. Is there anything I can do to expedite the process? (for example, write "please expedite-China" under the return address) Not sure if I can visit an airport ticketing counter now or not...

RogerD408 Jan 13, 2016 7:28 am

Originally Posted by bakster21 (Post 26008948)
Question (haven't found this on the thread so far):

I just used a voucher to purchase a trip to China coming up on 3/3 - was told to mail. In order to secure a visa, though, I must provide proof of the ticket. Is there anything I can do to expedite the process? (for example, write "please expedite-China" under the return address) Not sure if I can visit an airport ticketing counter now or not...

I'd suggest taking the voucher to an airport and ask the TA to process it for your. Unfortunately I've found way too many that won't do them or don't know how to do them than I've found willing/able to do them. There is phone help available for the TA as well as online documentation, but many won't bother to go to that step and some that do say they know how to process them don't do it right (not backing off taxes for DV types).

But if you need the ticket issued, that's the quickest way to get it done. Once you mail it, you go in the queue. Though they do file your request by date, I'm not sure they just go by date on the envelope before even opening or if you could list your travel date as 2-3 weeks out but actually be six months away.

arlflyer Jan 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 25718520)
It might not be too late... Contact AA and ask them about the situation. Given they have always "refunded" the taxes over-paid to another voucher, maybe they can do this retroactively? Wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe if they end up having to do so much re-work they will find a way to get their TAs properly trained.

Originally Posted by 21A (Post 25721358)
The department you want is Refunds:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/reservations/...&title=refunds
When I called in this very situation they understood the request and were quite helpful. Might be worth a shot.

Just wanted to bump this up and thank you guys. After I had flown the flight in question (purchased with a transportation voucher and including taxes/fees which should have been exempted) I filled in the online form requesting a refund of the incorrectly-collected taxes. I did not expect to hear anything but was shocked when I received a new voucher in the mail for the amount in question. ^

bakster21 Jan 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 26011180)
I'd suggest taking the voucher to an airport and ask the TA to process it for your. Unfortunately I've found way too many that won't do them or don't know how to do them than I've found willing/able to do them. There is phone help available for the TA as well as online documentation, but many won't bother to go to that step and some that do say they know how to process them don't do it right (not backing off taxes for DV types).

But if you need the ticket issued, that's the quickest way to get it done. Once you mail it, you go in the queue. Though they do file your request by date, I'm not sure they just go by date on the envelope before even opening or if you could list your travel date as 2-3 weeks out but actually be six months away.

I appreciate the assist - will be at PHL this weekend and will see if I can get a TA to assist me before departure. Will report back update.

brahms77 Jan 21, 2016 3:42 pm

I quickly search the thread, but didn't have time to read the entire replies... so sorry if this is a repetitive question.

I have a $1000 + 2 x $104 AA travel vouchers that were 1) issued as VDB and 2) fare difference refund. I am hoping to buy a DONE4 ex-JNB soon and was hoping to get this issued as an AA ticket. Can I use these vouchers to apply them to this DONE4 ticket? If so, how can I do this?

bakster21 Jan 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Quick update to my last post #381:

Arrived early to PHL and a great agent willing to work with me. She admitted that she hadn't processed many of these vouchers yet (pmUS) but I had the time to wait and said take your time. She worked on it and ended up calling a supervisor (pmAA) to help with one part but was successful! Printed out my residual voucher as well as the ticket confirmation.

Much better IMO then putting it in the mail...

RogerD408 Jan 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by bakster21 (Post 26064979)
Quick update to my last post #381:

Arrived early to PHL and a great agent willing to work with me. She admitted that she hadn't processed many of these vouchers yet (pmUS) but I had the time to wait and said take your time. She worked on it and ended up calling a supervisor (pmAA) to help with one part but was successful! Printed out my residual voucher as well as the ticket confirmation.

Much better IMO then putting it in the mail...

Yes, immediate ticketing is nice. However, correct processing is more important. I've been told instructions are online for all agents, but many either can't find them or won't look.

Was your voucher a DV? Did they back off the taxes on the new ticket?

Paros_fan Jan 23, 2016 3:45 am

I've just tried to book using my voucher on JNB - CPT return in Dec 2016. Voucher expires June 2016.
Spoke to 2 different agents and want to be sure before booking with the agent that said yes as it impacts another flight.
Do I just need to book before the expiry date of the voucher and travel anytime, or book and fly the outbound before the expiry?

RogerD408 Jan 23, 2016 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Paros_fan (Post 26066292)
I've just tried to book using my voucher on JNB - CPT return in Dec 2016. Voucher expires June 2016.
Spoke to 2 different agents and want to be sure before booking with the agent that said yes as it impacts another flight.
Do I just need to book before the expiry date of the voucher and travel anytime, or book and fly the outbound before the expiry?

As stated in the Wiki above, you must encumber the voucher before it expires. I read that as have the voucher applied, so mailing it in may not work if they don't get to your ticket until after it expires (although there is good reason to expect them to waive that at long as it is post-marked before hand). I would suggest making your way to an AA TA (airport or ticket office) and get the ticket issued immediately.

Also, be aware, any refund of the new ticket should be to the same form of payment and the new voucher would have the same expiration date as the original. So don't expect to get another year to use the funds.

Paros_fan Jan 23, 2016 10:23 am

So thats what I thought and read but got different info. Just phoned and apparently it has to be an AA flight number and unfortunately if pricing up on AA.com, it only brings back BA flight numbers.
So the voucher can't be used JNB - CPT or even LHR - ATH :(

bakster21 Jan 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 26065018)
Yes, immediate ticketing is nice. However, correct processing is more important. I've been told instructions are online for all agents, but many either can't find them or won't look.

Was your voucher a DV? Did they back off the taxes on the new ticket?

It was a voucher I received during during an international oversold situation - since I was flying alone with no bags, I took it up. :) I believe they still included taxes , as I used it for an international itinerary I put on hold. I'll go back and check the receipt though just to be sure.

Fitch Feb 8, 2016 9:20 am

Using AA voucher to upgrade AS-operated service

I am due to fly MIA-LAX on AA 2572, which is operated by AS.

I booked and paid for Coach and was perfectly happy with this.

However, due to (long boring story omitted) I am now the proud holder of an AA Transportation Voucher to the value of GBP 129.00 (I am based in the UK).

I believe that it might be possible to buy an Airport Upgrade to First Class shortly before my flight, subject of course to availability...

So, a few questions arise:

Does anyone know if the voucher would be valid for this purpose ?
Do you think it would matter that it's denominated in British Pounds ?
Would I able to do this online or would I need to go to the AA (or AS ?) desk at MIA ?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

jordyn Feb 8, 2016 9:49 am

No, you can only do the <24 hour upgrades on AS with payment directly to AS, and they won't take an AA voucher.

Fitch Feb 8, 2016 12:41 pm

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

My flight is not for a couple of weeks.

Also, I am travelling on an 001- ticket under an AA flight number. To quote the wiki at the top of this thread:

"Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American EagleŽ are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

Hence the question :D