Search

"On Request" at aa.com after purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
"On Request" at aa.com after purchase

Greetings,

I just booked a Qantas Australian domestic ticket on aa.com as I wanted to use Discover Card for the booking and it doesn't seem qantas.com will let me use it on their Australian site. I am a US citizen currently in Australia.

I haven't received an e-ticket receipt yet at the specified email address and when I check the PNR on aa.com is shows "on request".

Since I have a QF FF account, I got the QF PNR and had my FF # attached to it and I can now view it in "my bookings" at Qantas.com where it shows "confirmed".

I thought tix were confirmed at time of purchase, especially e-tix? Or is there some type of issue between AA and QF with the communication between their systems?

Thanks,

SDF_Traveler
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I haven't received an e-ticket receipt yet at the specified email address and when I check the PNR on aa.com is shows "on request".
Some of my AA itineraries have taken up to 7-8 hours to "ticket", and when vouchers are involved they could take days or weeks. How long has it been since you booked the ticket?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
it is not unusual, when booking tks on other airlines, to see this.....the res must be confirmed by the other a/l....it has happened to me on la, but iirc, it didn't take long to get it confirmed....code shares, w/ aa flight #, don't require the confirm, i think....
Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:23 am
Original Poster

It's been a good 4-5 hours.

On www.qantas.com it shows:

Class: Economy (S)
Flight Duration: 3h 20m
Check-in: Latest check-in is 30 minutes before departure
But at aa.com where I purchased the ticket it states:

Carrier/Qantas Airways
QF 648 PER MEL Economy/S Flight Details/View Seats/unassigned

1 Adult: 223.10 USD + 7.40 USD = 230.50 USD
During the purchase, I selected e-ticket and gave it the email address to deliver the receipt to. It gave me a choice of email or via facsimile.

The reservation is for travel in about 48~ hours; so if it's in a queue for processing, I would suspect it would be a priority.

Just curious as I've never seen it say "On Request" like this when booking at aa.com.

SDF_Traveler
Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:00 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Just curious as I've never seen it say "On Request" like this when booking at aa.com.
I've -always- seen it say "On Request" like this when booking other carriers on AA.com. You might have to call AA and ask 'em to go ahead and ticket the rez right now, instead of waiting for it to get to the head of the queue. I'm still fairly certain they'll get it ticketed in time for your flight.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I've -always- seen it say "On Request" like this when booking other carriers on AA.com. You might have to call AA and ask 'em to go ahead and ticket the rez right now, instead of waiting for it to get to the head of the queue. I'm still fairly certain they'll get it ticketed in time for your flight.
Thanks for the responses - I was just going to say I'd give it until tomorrow morning, but as murphy's law would have it, the ticket confirmation just landed in my inbox Thanks all!

Cheers!

SDF_Traveler
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:26 am

So about 3 hours until ticketing, or was it longer?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by tom911
So about 3 hours until ticketing, or was it longer?
OT..... Congratulations, Tom, on reaching 10K posts. Thanks for your contributions. ^
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OT2 - ditto, tom911, and thanks! :-:
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I've had "On Request" show for a couple days, on an all-electronic itinerary that included a segment on DL. I also had an itinerary a few months ago that had a segment on BA and a segment on LX... I think that one was "On Request" for a week or maybe even two, but it required paper tickets.

If a ticket is "On Request," AA hasn't charged your credit card yet... so if you're getting ready to leave for the airport and it's still showing as "On Request," definitely give AA a call. They take an unfavorable view of you attempting to fly on an unpurchased ticket . (I've never run into that when booking on AA.com, but I have run into it with last-minute ticket purchases through my corporate travel agent.)

And congrats, tom911!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:08 pm

Been a very rewarding 6 years here on FT, that's for sure Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyer23
I've had "On Request" show for a couple days, on an all-electronic itinerary that included a segment on DL. I also had an itinerary a few months ago that had a segment on BA and a segment on LX... I think that one was "On Request" for a week or maybe even two, but it required paper tickets.

If a ticket is "On Request," AA hasn't charged your credit card yet... so if you're getting ready to leave for the airport and it's still showing as "On Request," definitely give AA a call. They take an unfavorable view of you attempting to fly on an unpurchased ticket . (I've never run into that when booking on AA.com, but I have run into it with last-minute ticket purchases through my corporate travel agent.)

And congrats, tom911!
Congrats, Tom911 and thank you for your help as well as the others here in the spirit of FlyerTalk!

Thankfully it went through as I was making my last post, I have an e-ticket number and everything. Now that I think about it, when I've had mixed aa / qf itins in the past, they've always been done through a TA who has done the ticketing, which perhaps explains why I've never seen the "on-request".

Wouldn't be pretty getting to the airport and finding out I'm trying to fly on an unpaid ticket! I encountered this once on a last minute purchase on another airline website. Ticket was still in queue for ticketing when I arrived at the airport.

Interestingly, it looks like I saved about $40 AUD purchasing through aa.com vs qantas.com - The only reason I tried aa.com in the first place was to use a Discover Card. I'll have to compare aa.com and qantas.com in the future when booking domestic Australian tix.

There were still taxes attached, not sure what the breakdown is, but I'm thinking perhaps Australian GST was not charged and something else (perhaps an airport access fee or different fuel surcharge?). At any rate, I am not complaining -- plus I don't have to pay any currency conversion fees as it billed in USD.

Anyways, will be at the airport this time tomorrow relaxing in the Perth QC getting ready to board an A332 to MEL.

Thanks all!

Steve (SDF_Traveler)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.