Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adults sit in exit row when traveling w. kids?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:57 pm

Makes sense to me. If your kid is a row back and you crash, you might try to help your kid first instead of opening the door.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
Well, one of them is 15, the other is not. As I understand it, the 15 year old and the other child could travel by themselves, no problem. Why AA should then care where the parent happens to sit is beyond me.

BTW, I was trying to put them in the non-exit row one row back, not far away. The flights are very full.
Since the thread title and the original post both reference adults, I assume that there are two adults (possibly mother and father) on this flight with the two children. If there are two seats in the exit row and two seats one row back, why not put one adult in the exit row with the older child, and the other adult in the row behind with the smaller child?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
New Preboard Rules

On a recent SWA flight, we were told ANYONE preboarding a flight cannot sit in exit rows. This includes everyone in the preboard party. For example, if you are helping an elderly parent on the flight via preboard, the child cannot sit in the exit row. This, we were told, is a new FAA rule.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:09 pm

The purpose of the FAR is exactly what several people have stated. It is because if a parent is seated in the exit row and their kids are not, in an emergency the parent would immediately turn to help their kids and not perform the functions that an emergency exit row occupant would be required to perform. The FAR is rather vague, which is why AA goes one step further to clarify that a small child includes anyone that is 15 or under.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The purpose of the FAR is exactly what several people have stated. It is because if a parent is seated in the exit row and their kids are not, in an emergency the parent would immediately turn to help their kids and not perform the functions that an emergency exit row occupant would be required to perform. The FAR is rather vague, which is why AA goes one step further to clarify that a small child includes anyone that is 15 or under.
Wouldn't performing the functions be the best way to help the kids?

In any case I was wrong about one thing. I thought the WN policy regarding UMs was age 13. Actually WN permits children to fly alone at age 12.

Regarding the exit row, WN doesn't make up new rules as say it is due to the government. The WN info on exit row seating matches the FAR, indicating "have a condition or responsibilities, such as caring for small children, that might prevent them from performing the applicable functions "
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Well, the applicable FAR is 14CFR121.585:
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...cfr121.585.htm

No, the FAR doesn't specify the age of the young child that would disqualify the passenger from the exit row, but most airlines and FAs interpret it as age 15 (as in, if you have a kid on the airplane that is not exit row qualified).
I think most children between 12 and 14 are capable of handling at least a nonstop flight with no assitance.

Children can travel alone at these ages
It is interesting to note that WN has no service charge for UM service

WN 12
AS 13
UA 12
DL 15 (but 12 for Song, go figure)
CO 15
NW 15
AA 15
HP 15
US 15
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:42 am

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
The AA UM age used to be 12, but that is going back more than 10 years
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:25 am

This certainly seems like one of those times where the rules have a sensible intent, but their translation into easy-to-enforce black-and-white conditions doesn't necessarily support that intent.

For example, many 14 year olds are in need of considerably less assistance than many (older or easily flustered or in poor health) adults. Obviously, it's easier to draw a sharp line at one's 15th birthday than to require a medical certificate for each passenger. (Note that I'm not disagreeing with the policy, just pointing out that it's a blunt instrument attempting to make a fine distinction.)

I actually think that the statement that anyone who requires preboarding shouldn't sit in an exit row makes perfect sense: You can't have it both ways. Either you're fit and capable or you're in need of some special concessions. The trick here is that it's the whole party that has to go one way or the other, which for a party of three makes sense but for a party of sixteen may not. Again, blunt instrument, but policies work better when they're easier to enforce.

Just out of curiousity, would two parents travelling in the exit row with fifteen-year-old triplets seated twelve rows back really be a better scenario than another pair of parents sitting in the exit row directly in front of their seventeen and twelve year old seasoned travelers?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I think most children between 12 and 14 are capable of handling at least a nonstop flight with no assitance.

Children can travel alone at these ages
It is interesting to note that WN has no service charge for UM service

WN 12
AS 13
UA 12
DL 15 (but 12 for Song, go figure)
CO 15
NW 15
AA 15
HP 15
US 15
Southwest and US Airways will only take UC's on direct flights--no changes allowed. All airlines prohibit UC's from flying on the last scheduled flight -- but Northwest and Delta interpet this to no red eye's and AA/UA allow red eyes as long as they are on the start of the trip and not on the last transfer point.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by gemac
Since the thread title and the original post both reference adults, I assume that there are two adults (possibly mother and father) on this flight with the two children. If there are two seats in the exit row and two seats one row back, why not put one adult in the exit row with the older child, and the other adult in the row behind with the smaller child?
Yes, that was the situation. Your suggested solution makes sense to you and me, but not to AA.com, nor to some AA telephone and ticket agents.

On AA.com, if one pax on the PNR is a child, it won't allow anyone in the PNR to be assigned an exit row seat. Even if there is another adult on the PNR who is seated in a non-exit row seat with the child. Same thing a rather snippy Ticket counter Agent at PDX told me (boy, the TA's at PDX have gone downhill the past few years). As others have noted, this goes considerably beyond the requirements in the FAR.

The GA's didn't care as long as there was an adult to take care of the child. But I'd rather not have to get there 3-4 hours ahead of the filght just to make sure we got seats (the uncleared standby list was 18-pax long on one flight, on an MD-80!).

My take away from this is to list all pax as adults on a reservation, especially when the flights are already very full. It turns out we all had exit row seats on the first flight, due to a phone agent who thought there were all adults, assigned the seats, and then didn't undue her mistake. Of course, it was real easy at the gate to switch exit row seats with other pax. We knew we would have to switch, but at least we knew would make it on the plane since we had assigned seats. Since non-elites can't access the exit row, there are usually some available.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I kind of wonder what parent would want to stick their 2 kids in a row on their own while the parents had exit seats in case something did happen (like a emergency needed an exit) or in case there was a funny uncle on board in the row with the kids. Seems pretty selfish. Unless you can get the 2 kids in the row right in front of the exit row, or behind. Rules or not, who'd abandon their kids for their comfort?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RachelG
There is certainly no rule that you can't sit in an exit row if you have a child on the flight. The problem is that you won't be able to prebook if if you are on the same PNR (as noted above). In fact, I have had a GA ask me if I would be willing to split up from my kids and sit in the exit row on 2 occasions. Of course, I said fine, but my kids were seasoned travellers and knew if there was any misbehavior, they would be dead meat.
I was told there is such a rule and when we checked in at BOS for our flight to MIA last week, we were moved by the ticket agent out of exit row 18AC (for myself and my wife) and 19AC for my kids (10 & 12) to the last row of the plane. I was NOT a happy camper, but was told that this was a FAA regulation. Later, on the phone, I was told by a supervisor it was an AA policy (AA interpretation of an ambiguous FAA guideline).

Many AA emplyees at the airport had now idea about this supposed rule. The people at the AC told me that the ticket agent "must have wanted those seats for her friends) and the supervisor working the gate had never heard of such a rule.

I am still uncertain about the whole thing.

Last edited by nologic; Apr 5, 2006 at 2:58 pm
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
(i) A condition or responsibilities, such as caring for small children, that might prevent the person from performing one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section; or
The keyword in the FAA regulations is "might". The FAA doesn;t say that you can't sit in an exit row if you are tarvelling with kids...AA seems to have interpreted the FAA regulations this way and adopted their own guidelines.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, folks, let's do some soul searching here.

Lady JDiver and I are in the exit row. Our two kiddies are behind us. There is an incident, where we are required to follow instructions, operate the emergency exit hatch and assist other passengers. We will, I promise you, totally ignore our kids' plight so we can do what we are supposed to, and imply we will do by accepting exit row seating.

BULL APPLES! Nobody has that much sang froid, and if they do, they certainly should not be parents. (Well there might be exceptional parents, and kids for that matter, but though we all regard ourselves so, it's usually wishful thinking.)
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:13 pm

Is there a rule about mother-in-laws sitting in the row behind you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.