Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-JFK Redeye: EXP left in the back while F was empty

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LAX-JFK Redeye: EXP left in the back while F was empty

My EXP colleage has just returned from a redeye LAX-JFK. She was stuck in coach while apparently first went out with lots of empty seats (she said she knew because she had to put her carryon in the overhead up there).

I realize there's no requirement for AA to do anything, but why would they leave an EXP simmering in the back of the bus when they could have easily op-upped a J fare pax to F to make space for her in J? I would have expected AA to treat its most loyal flyers better than that, particularly when it's no skin off their back...
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Seriously? AA should op-up a J passenger so that a Y passenger can get a free upgrade to J?

That's being just a little bit unreasonable.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Seriously? AA should op-up a J passenger so that a Y passenger can get a free upgrade to J?

Not just any Y passenger. An EXP.
And if they want to retain her business, yes they should. I don't think it's unreasonable at all, it hardly costs them anything (particularly on Redeye -- what food do they serve?), and it makes TWO passengers happy. (Or up to four, if she was in a middle seat in back and you now count the 2 pax on the aisles who would then have an empty seat between them )
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not just any Y passenger. An EXP.
And if they want to retain her business, yes they should. I don't think it's unreasonable at all, it hardly costs them anything (particularly on Redeye -- what food do they serve?), and it makes TWO passengers happy. (Or up to four, if she was in a middle seat in back and you now count the 2 pax on the aisles who would then have an empty seat between them )
Why not just mvoe her to F? It would make her happy.

There's a limit to reasonable expectations and this goes well beyond it.

Also, think about it from the F pax's perspective. Why should someone from J get there for free when there was no operational reason for it? If I were an F pax, I'd be pissed, especially if I would otherwise have the seat next to me empty.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I don't think the OP's premise is reasonable. It's like PresRDC says below. IMO, EXPs are not imbued with some kind of royal privilege. If she had really really wanted a better seat, she would have purchased it, or otherwise managed her flights and choices as many of us here on FT do. Sorry, my heart is not bleeding, and the crew had a hundred and more other souls to worry about than a simmering EXP.

Cheers.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 20, 2006 at 8:56 am Reason: fix what I said so it says what I meant (say what?)
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC

^ ^

Yeah, and I am still waiting on my request to be carried through airports in a sedan chair.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Was she listed for a requested upgrade? Did she check with and request from TA or GA? I don't think cabin crew have any ability to upgrade anyone, unless there's an exceptional reason for it. If she did all these things, she's entitled to some form of apology and maybe some miles compo.
But this was a three-class plane. She was in Y and J was full. EXPs are entitled to a SPACE AVAILABLE one-class upgrade. There was not any space available.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:50 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I flew JFK-LAX yesterday, as an EXP, checking in 24 hours prior, activated myself on the airport list 3 hours prior, and still sat in coach. I have done that on all of my flights, except 1 this year (since January 1). Am I irritated that as an EXP I can't seem to get an upgrade to J? Yes. Do I think that I should get F? No (but it would be nice). I really don't think it is "fare" that someone like me - who doesn't pay for an F seat, should sit with those who do, or at least follow the normal rules in getting in those seats.

Last edited by jeffreyt; Jan 20, 2006 at 8:54 am
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
They don't owe you jack, stop whining. AA doesn't have J and F cabins so they can reward people who pay $400 for their tickets, even if they buy a lot of them.

AA builds those cabins so they can charge a lot of money for the right to sit in them. As a side part of this, they decide to maximize their use a little by slipping comps as favors to good customers. But don't forget why F exists -- it's not to reward frequent Y flyers. It's to charge people with money a lot of it to sit in nice accomodations.

They don't owe it to you, unless you buy it, and if I were them I wouldn't give it away. Why on earth would anyone pay thousands for F if they didn't have to. If the cabin was really empty and you're EXP you could have spent miles to get into it, or money, etc. You didn't, you paid coach and got what you paid for. Whatever, ya know...
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm with PresRDC. When I opened the thread, I assumed the complaint was about an EXP getting left in the back with empty first class seats on a two-class plane. Now that would be unacceptable. But to complain because AA did not vacate a seat in an already full business class cabin to free up a seat for a space-available EXP upgrade is definitely over the top. Your colleague has highly unreasonable expectations, ijgordon.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flailey
They don't owe you jack, stop whining. AA doesn't have J and F cabins so they can reward people who pay $400 for their tickets, even if they buy a lot of them.

AA builds those cabins so they can charge a lot of money for the right to sit in them. As a side part of this, they decide to maximize their use a little by slipping comps as favors to good customers. But don't forget why F exists -- it's not to reward frequent Y flyers. It's to charge people with money a lot of it to sit in nice accomodations.

They don't owe it to you, unless you buy it, and if I were them I wouldn't give it away. Why on earth would anyone pay thousands for F if they didn't have to. If the cabin was really empty and you're EXP you could have spent miles to get into it, or money, etc. You didn't, you paid coach and got what you paid for. Whatever, ya know...
Totally agree, but the OP is being even more unreasonable here. There was a J cabin and it was full. He wanted AA to upgrade a J pax to F for no other reason than to accomidate an EXP upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
If the OP's friend was clever, and really wanted a J seat, she could have told the GA she'd like to burn an eVIP to upgrade a J pax to F, assuming she was number one on the upgrade list, thereby getting her J seat.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
American Airlines does not do any upgrading to the F cabin on 3 class transcon flights. You either:

1. Pay for it
2. Burn miles for a F class award

That's it, period the end.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
If the OP's friend was clever, and really wanted a J seat, she could have told the GA she'd like to burn an eVIP to upgrade a J pax to F, assuming she was number one on the upgrade list, thereby getting her J seat.
I'm sorry...but how is it clever to waste an eVIP for an upgrade to J on a transcon redeye? Seems like a worse thing to do that expecting AA to roll people forward to accommodate.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:30 am
Suspended

If the colleague wanted an upgrade, there was a simple solution: buy a J cabin ticket and enjoy the complimentary upgrade to F.

This is an example of the entitlement-devaluation mentality brought on by unlimited free upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.