Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help in interpreting fare codes for this multi-leg trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Please help in interpreting fare codes for this multi-leg trip

Wonder if any of the experts on this board can assist me.
I've found the routing below for $580 plus taxes. Seems like a pretty good deal for 15,000+ miles. Don't understand the codes, however, and have two questions. First, will I receive AA base miles (that count towards elite status) for all legs of this routing. Second, can I use eVIPs to upgrade segments of this trip (especially LAX-LHR and LHR-BOS). Many thanks!

City Pair Fare Basis
LGA to MIA NA7TN
MIA to LAX QA14QTN
LAX to LHR SLW7E3B
LHR to BOS SLX7E3B
BOS to LGA SLX7E3B
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dander
First, will I receive AA base miles (that count towards elite status) for all legs of this routing.
Is there something that prevents you from stopping at aa.com long enough to answer this question for yourself?

P.S. A sticky has to be better than seeing the same question multiple times each day.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you UpgradeMe for your helpful response, so sorry to have bothered you.
If the aa.com website was easier to navigate and find answers then I would not have posted this. Wonder if any other more helpful FT members can help me.
Thank you.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Try here

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:22 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
I 'think' the reason people may be a bit fearfull of 'committing' to a Yes/No comment here is that AA seems to change the details of the fare codes at times. (just ask one of the recent posters about the 'O' fares on sale to Japan!)

In general I and O and Q fares (depending on location) are not upgrade-capable, and sometimes do not earn miles. This is the recent learning we have. Unfortunately UpgradeMe is correct that you have to READ the fare basis details and then cross-compare this to the AAdvantage rules. Sometimes one line thrown in a the bottom of a 'restriction' can jinx the entire process.

The Points are based on the fare also as follows:

Fare Purchased Booking Class Points Per Qualifying Mile Flown
First Class A, F, P 1.50
Business Class D, I, J 1.50
Full Fare Economy Class B, Y 1.50
Discount Economy Class H, K, M, L, W, V 1.00
Deep Discount G, Q**, N, O**, S 0.50

** Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible.

What would be FAR more helpfull would be the dates you are looking at so someone with ExpertFlyer access could get you more details. Also a call the EXP desk will confirm/deny the details.

These are all classed as deep-discount fares .. the Q fare would be earning because it is domestic ...the rest are not currently listed as subject to 'exclusions'.

RE the eVIP question the issue is more availability there. ExpertFlyer can show these buckets to give you a better opinion.

What I do is HOLD an itinerary while having checked ExpertFlyer. Then I call AA and say ... 'Can I use eVIP on AAnnn which is showing C3 ...' and then buy the ticket then.

I tried checking without knowing your dates and came up with $892 after Thanksgiving .. which actually did a MIA-LAS-LAX then LAX-BOS-LHR trip .. and those fares 'appear' to be earning miles fully (points would be 50% as deep discount tho).
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Is there something that prevents you from stopping at aa.com long enough to answer this question for yourself?
This seems a valid question to me. Does the inclusion of one domestic “Q” segment on a transatlantic journey make the whole ticket turn “Q” or just that leg? I would like to think it would not and that the itinerary would earn mileage… but hey… since I have never flown one like that… how should I really know? That stupid little chart everyone always points to does not give an absolute answer to this. It seems a good question to ask an FTer that might actually have flown one like this. So… what is the correct answer?
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
[QUOTE=schriste]
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
QUOTE]

This seems a valid question to me. Does the inclusion of one domestic “Q” segment on a transatlantic journey make the whole ticket turn “Q” or just that leg? I would like to think it would not and that the itinerary would earn mileage… but hey… since I have never flown one like that… how should I really know? That stupid little chart everyone always points to does not give an absolute answer to this. It seems a good question to ask an FTer that might actually have flown one like this. So… what is the correct answer?
It's the fare code for each segment that counts, not the first one in the group. I've had N fare followed by W fare and the points posted appropriately.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=andrzej]
Originally Posted by schriste

It's the fare code for each segment that counts, not the first one in the group. I've had N fare followed by W fare and the points posted appropriately.
Thanks dander for copping the flack for me. I was about to ask this question myself.
I don't think aa.com is clear when is comes to multi segment tickets and points earning power. The booking conditions revert to the lowest common denominator for the whole trip so one could assume the same applied for EQP earned.

I certainly hope the above is true as it makes the difference between PLT and EXP for my next trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.