Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying your way into 1MM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Buying your way into 1MM

FT,

I tried to do a search, but the search function appears to friscalambalanated. Anyway, I am at 998,400 lifetime miles, but I do not intend to credit miles to AA for the rest of the year (going for the AA EXP and CX Diamond bifecta). Still, I would like the nice luggage tags. If I bought 2,000 miles, would those 2,000 miles be added to the lifetime miles total, or is it only flown, bonuses, and CC miles that count here?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:26 am

All miles, including purchased, should count for lifetime miles total
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:31 am

dupe.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
All miles, including non-flying partner bonuses (hotels, rental cars, flowers, etc.) count toward 1MM/2MM status.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:02 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
dupe.
You didn't have to call him a dupe.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
You didn't have to call him a dupe.
Probably a typo...trying to call him a dope .

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Pickles
(going for the AA EXP and CX Diamond bifecta)
^ That's a lot of quality flying. Far more impressive than my AA EXP and US Chairman's Preferred bifecta.

Last edited by Blumie; Sep 21, 2005 at 8:22 am Reason: It's amazing what you can type when your fingers don't listen to your head
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:44 am
TR35R

I don't think Mr.Pickles is making this story up.....

Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
What's your hurry?

Unless there's something magic about having 1MM by Dec. 31, why the rush? You'll get the same status and the same card if you finish in January.

There are regular rumo(u)rs about AA taking lifetime status away or making it harder to earn in the future. So far they've all been false. Given how much money AA makes selling miles to its partners, and how this perk makes them more attractive, I don't think you have to worry - at least not for longer than it will take you to get 1,600 AA miles in the normal course of events.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
I'm at 1,858,246 and will add to thier incentive by purchasing ~30k miles on Jan1st (already did 40k this year) to make Lifetime Platinum before any chance of those nasty rumors becoming true this coming Spring.

So add that to thier benefit...~2.5 cents per mile

Ok - many will call me silly (or worse) for throwing money around like that but it would be just my luck for the rumors to come true this year and potentially see lifetime double miles and lounge access on international trips slip away from my grasp...

Originally Posted by Efrem
...There are regular rumo(u)rs about AA taking lifetime status away or making it harder to earn in the future. So far they've all been false. Given how much money AA makes selling miles to its partners, and how this perk makes them more attractive, I don't think you have to worry - at least not for longer than it will take you to get 1,600 AA miles in the normal course of events.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:20 am
Suspended

One thing worth considering, IMHO.

There's absolutely no doubt-- no a shred of it-- from what I know, that AAdvantage was very actively considering the limitation on future life-status (presumable to BIS miles only, bringing over current totals as-is (last part speculative.)) No doubt whatsoever. I assume it still will happen at some point, for sure, personally.

Why they didn't do it at that time was, from what I can see, was simply lack of funds to make the nesc. programming changes (like the e-VIPs accounting set-up and many other things.)

FWIW.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
So join AA-Idine and get the miles

A few dinners and wine....you're on your way!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
A few dinners and wine....you're on your way!
Not enough decent participating restaurants to make this worthwhile, at least in the Cambridge/Boston area, IMHO. I'd rather buy the miles and eat at East Coast Grill (and elswhere where I actually want to go) than have to limit myself to the idine options.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Many sources for miles

There are so many choices to get AA miles - buying at $0.025 is just one of them. Even if you credit flight miles to CX how about others such as car rentals, hotels, office supplies, etc. Look at the various boards here and you'll see too many choices. 2000 miles is not that hard to get. You can even add a small segment run to your flt plans and get that kind of miles.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by JonNYC
One thing worth considering, IMHO.

There's absolutely no doubt-- no a shred of it-- from what I know, that AAdvantage was very actively considering the limitation on future life-status (presumable to BIS miles only, bringing over current totals as-is (last part speculative.)) No doubt whatsoever. I assume it still will happen at some point, for sure, personally.

Why they didn't do it at that time was, from what I can see, was simply lack of funds to make the nesc. programming changes (like the e-VIPs accounting set-up and many other things.)

FWIW.
This is the reason I'm considering buying "insurance", just in case. Also, for the 4 eVIPS I'd get additionally (which may be the first to be cut, since it is not "official"), given that I have a foreign address (many of them, actually).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.