How to get a Gate Pass?

Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by kalia960
Using a refundable ticket to enter, when you have no intention of using that ticket, is quite possibly in violation of some obscure or perhaps secret clause in the Patriot Act. You really are breaching security. It's easy to do, and you are very unlikely to be caught, but these days when you can get eight bullets in the head at point-blank range for jumping a turnstile, I wouldn't do it.
Unless you're planning on confessing, there is zero chance of getting caught.

Don't let the TSA tell you when you can or cannot go airside. If you want to go airside and pass the security screening, then go right ahead.

If you submit to the "security" at the checkpoint, then you're not breaching anything.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It is really quite simple: If you have a ticket and current boarding pass, you are entitled to pass through security to airside the day of travel, unless you are carrying "hazardous substances."

Originally Posted by Daringdoo
Wow! Such an array of opinions on this subject! I wish there was something in writing that would make it clear who is/isn't entitled to a gate pass (I know, I know.... "If wishes were horses....") Is anybody out there privy to such info??

DD
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by tgw
A little less than a year ago, I drove a friend of mine to the airport and helped her get all checked-in and everything. It was her first time EVER to fly and it was an international trip. I helped her re-confirm her flight ahead of time, and went to the check-in counter with her. We mentioned to the agent that it was her first time on an airplane, simply making conversation, with no intention of getting a gate pass. However, she issued me one without me even asking and said "Here's a gate pass for you, if you want to see her off." Very friendly. I don't think it should be a problem, especially since you are with someone with special needs. I was only with a nervous friend and they definately helped me out. Just go for the gate pass. If the agent won't help you, there's always a superior who can help.
My experience was the exact opposite. My mother-in-law does not speak English, and was flying out. My wife requested a gate pass to help her get settled & seen off at the plane. She was refused - "She can't miss it, just tell her what gate it is".

So, as others have said, YMMV. The only safe bet is the refundable ticket.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Did you book a visit 24 hours before, as we are requested to? I ask because it has usually been much easier than that, for me.

BTW, if you were flying Tabua Class, FJ has an arrangement with a TBIT airside lounge, such as they are, iirc.
No, I hadn't. Fairly new to the AC, and didn't read that in the "rule" book. I'm sure it would have been much easier.

Not in Tabua Class. Had fun anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bula! Fiji is nice. I hope you made it to Chef's (near Jack's Handicrafts) in Nadi... definitely a world-class restaurant! (and only restaurant the entire staff gathered to sing "Isa Lei" to us as we finished dinner and were about to depart for the USA.) BTW, FJ generally sells Tabua Class counter upgrades at LAX and NAN (for duture reference.)

Yes, the AC requests we contact them 24 hours ahead, then it is generally quite easy for us to access airside. Definitely make sit much more hassle-free.

From Admit Policies:

"Non-traveling members must have a declared business purpose to gain access to Admirals Club lounges or Executive Center locations that are beyond security. A business purpose is defined as a business meeting at either an Admirals Club lounge or Executive Center facility. For complete information, visit:

Admirals Club TSA Security Revisions"

Take care, travel well and with ease.

Originally Posted by TelevisionTdTina
No, I hadn't. Fairly new to the AC, and didn't read that in the "rule" book. I'm sure it would have been much easier.

Not in Tabua Class. Had fun anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
It is really quite simple: If you have a ticket and current boarding pass, you are entitled to pass through security to airside the day of travel, unless you are carrying "hazardous substances."

Yes, I understand your point but what I'm saying is surely there must be some guidelines in place (in writing) so that it is unnecessary to go through this bogus means of accessing 'airside.' It just seems like such a waste of time for everyone to have to play these games.

Please don't misunderstand me - I asked the question, and I appreciate everyone's input. I just find it disappointing that the airlines and TSA can't find a better way for this.

DD
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Yes, I understand your point but what I'm saying is surely there must be some guidelines in place (in writing) so that it is unnecessary to go through this bogus means of accessing 'airside.' It just seems like such a waste of time for everyone to have to play these games.

Please don't misunderstand me - I asked the question, and I appreciate everyone's input. I just find it disappointing that the airlines and TSA can't find a better way for this.

DD
This is the TSA we're talking about. There is no logic, there is no rationality. There's a handful of evil little jackasses in charge of this agency who seem to answer to no one.

Buy your gate pass, er fully refundable ticket and be done with it.

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away..."

-Buffalo Springfield, For What It's Worth
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
This is the TSA we're talking about. There is no logic, there is no rationality. There's a handful of evil little jackasses in charge of this agency who seem to answer to no one.
Touche!

DD
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Smile Follow-up

Just to let you all know how things turned out...

Absolutely no problem! I just couldn't bring myself to buy the fully refundable tkt (I make no judgement on those who have or would, I just couldn't do it), so I arrived at the self check-in and asked the agent if/how I could take my Aunt - who was parked in a wheelchair - through to the gate. She simply printed out the pass. There was no need for stories or explanations. I just wish it could be so easy for everyone.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and input.

DD
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Just to let you all know how things turned out...

Absolutely no problem! I just couldn't bring myself to buy the fully refundable tkt (I make no judgement on those who have or would, I just couldn't do it), so I arrived at the self check-in and asked the agent if/how I could take my Aunt - who was parked in a wheelchair - through to the gate. She simply printed out the pass. There was no need for stories or explanations. I just wish it could be so easy for everyone.
I'm glad it worked out for you.

A couple of weeks ago, I was flying out of LGA a little after a friend arrived at LGA. I bought her a refundable ticket so that she could join me at the AC and we could spend some time before I had to board my flight. As soon as she got there, I went to the computers, cancelled her reservation, and initiated the refund.

One lesson I learned: I bought her a one-way ticket, which I suspect promted the SSSSS she got on her boarding pass. It wasn't a big deal, but I think next time I would by a round-trip ticket to try to avoid the secondary screening.

I wonder if they ever put SSSSS on a gate pass!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:48 am

ADA compliance

I think I read in the original OP that she "might" need a wheelchair. That's your ticket. Call the desk and arrange for special assistance, a wheelchair. Not to worry as most persons actually walk onto the plane but need assiatance due to the long distances. They have a special department that will call back and ask for more specifics. They are very flexable and have arranged a similar assistance previously and want to avoid any liability.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:48 pm

Programs: 1MM, AA Plat, IC Gold Ambassador, HHonors, etc.
Had to pick up my mother in law at LGA today. Got to the airport a bit early and wished that I had called ahead for a gate pass to get into the D concourse Admirals Club. Went down to security, showed my Club card and my ID and was waved right through. No gate pass!!!!

Enjoyed a couple of cups of coffee, then went down to the gate to meet her flight. Not too bad [other than the fact that my mother in law is here for a week]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.