Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:06 am

Part 4: Travel Wholly Within (or Between) Regions Other Than North America

(1) These awards do not allow a connection via North America and, therefore, do not include travel on American Airlines.

(2) Passenger must travel the most direct routing.

(3) Passenger has 6 hours to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within 6 hours, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. Any connection of more than 24 hours is always considered a stopover.

I've read it all and my head hurts!

"Any connection of more than 24 hours is always considered a stopover". Does this mean that a stopover is allowed for example on a trip BOG-GRU? And is an open-jaw allowed eg BOG-EZE(stop)-GRU(destination)-UIO
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
It's important to have the rules in front of you when you call AA. I got this AAgent that insisted that I only had 6 hours to connect on an internation flight that arrived at 11pm. Of course, there were no connecting flights before 5am so she insisted that it would be a stopover if I took the 7am connecting flight.

So I pulled up the rules on here, called AA back and got a smart AAgent that didn't have to be schooled.

How frustrating.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azmojo
It's important to have the rules in front of you when you call AA. I got this AAgent that insisted that I only had 6 hours to connect on an internation flight that arrived at 11pm. Of course, there were no connecting flights before 5am so she insisted that it would be a stopover if I took the 7am connecting flight.

So I pulled up the rules on here, called AA back and got a smart AAgent that didn't have to be schooled.
^^ Makes ya' grateful that there's a place called flyertalk..
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:43 pm

Programs: hardly any
Award ticket: what stopovers permitted?

If I redeem my AA miles for travel between JFK and Japan/China, and want to book on JAL, what stopovers am I permitted to make? Hawaii (going or coming)? Tokyo (going or coming)? I would like to visit Tokyo, Osaka (for Kyoto), and Beijing.

I am somewhat confused as to what is permitted, and would appreciate any clarifications those of you on the board might be able to provide.

Thanks very much.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Part 4: Travel Wholly Within (or Between) Regions Other Than North America

(1) These awards do not allow a connection via North America and, therefore, do not include travel on American Airlines.

(2) Passenger must travel the most direct routing.

(3) Passenger has 6 hours to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within 6 hours, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. Any connection of more than 24 hours is always considered a stopover.

I've read it all and my head hurts!

"Any connection of more than 24 hours is always considered a stopover". Does this mean that a stopover is allowed for example on a trip BOG-GRU? And is an open-jaw allowed eg BOG-EZE(stop)-GRU(destination)-UIO

No stopover is allowed on the BOG-GRU ( no stopovers allowed within/between regions). Unless if the connecting flight SCL-GRU is beyond the 6 hours (as the rules state), then you would force a stopover and stay up to 24 hours.

Yes, an open jaw is allowed. That itinarery BOG-EZE-GRU-UIO is ok !
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by JohnWM
If I redeem my AA miles for travel between JFK and Japan/China, and want to book on JAL, what stopovers am I permitted to make? Hawaii (going or coming)? Tokyo (going or coming)? I would like to visit Tokyo, Osaka (for Kyoto), and Beijing.

I am somewhat confused as to what is permitted, and would appreciate any clarifications those of you on the board might be able to provide.

Thanks very much.
Let's see..

You can do Hawaii either in the inbound or outbound.

I don't have access to schedules, but if you have KIX as your destination instead of NRT (coming from Hawaii), it's quite probable that you can have a forced stopover in NRT enroute to KIX if you use the 6/24 rule. If not, you will be force to choose 2 destinations out of NRT, KIX and PEK. Not all 3 !

Check it out !

Last edited by eperaltaotero; Aug 29, 2005 at 2:13 am
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: hardly any
Thanks!

Thanks very much, eperaltaotero! I wasn't quite sure how the stopover rule works. Actually, I would save Hawaii for the final stop on the homeward segment.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Ok,

I'm still a little confused (but am getting there) If i wanted to book award travel could i do

ORD-MIA-LIM(stopover)-EZE then GRU-MIA-ORD?

stopover in LIM (on the direct LP MIA-EZE flight)
and have the open jaw (EZE & GRU)?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Ok,

I'm still a little confused (but am getting there) If i wanted to book award travel could i do

ORD-MIA-LIM(stopover)-EZE then GRU-MIA-ORD?

stopover in LIM (on the direct LP MIA-EZE flight)
and have the open jaw (EZE & GRU)?
Yes, you can do that itinarery, but it would require 2 awards. LIM is SA Zone 1, while EZE/GRU are in SA Zone 2. Even if you tried to transit MIA-LIM (without doing a stopover) you'd be charged for 2 awards. So, in this case you must do MIA-EZE or MIA-SCL-EZE, or any route that allows you to travel thru SA Region 2.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eperaltaotero
Yes, you can do that itinarery, but it would require 2 awards. LIM is SA Zone 1, while EZE/GRU are in SA Zone 2. Even if you tried to transit MIA-LIM (without doing a stopover) you'd be charged for 2 awards. So, in this case you must do MIA-EZE or MIA-SCL-EZE, or any route that allows you to travel thru SA Region 2.
Or, possibly one could force it into a OW award dragging BA's flight into it.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Or, possibly one could force it into a OW award dragging BA's flight into it.
That's another option ! @:-)
Old Sep 3, 2005, 12:13 pm

so

ORD-MIA-SCL(stopover)-EZE then GRU-MIA-ORD?

Would be only 1 award? Since only going between NA and SA Zone 2?
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mateo4321
so

ORD-MIA-SCL(stopover)-EZE then GRU-MIA-ORD?

Would be only 1 award? Since only going between NA and SA Zone 2?
Yes, one award !
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:26 am

woo hoo!

thanks for helping me learn
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum - HH Gold - Marriott Gold - SPG Gold
Domestic F Award

I've read the entire thread and appreciate all the information, but I'm still confused about whether the following would be possible as a single F reward:

RDU-ORD-JAX-DFW-SAN-DFW-RDU

This is craziness is so I can meet up with my father in JAX for a trip to SAN with him. I want to surprise him with roundtrip F for him JAX-DFW-SAN-DFW-JAX.

Is this doable? Worst case scenario is I meet him in DFW.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.