Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Helsinki Vantaa - Arrival Lounge options for AA (Staying airside?)

Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck

I am an AA EXP arriving on AA130 from ORD into HEL at 8:30 AM traveling in business class on an SWU upgrade.

I'd not expect any kind of complimentary lounge access via Oneworld, because I do not have an ongoing flight, however I do have Priority Pass Select and I think that will give me access to the Finnair lounge as long as I can reach it. Can anyone tell me if I can stay airside upon arrival with this flight and reach this lounge? I think it's implied in what I've read online but not really sure. Hoping to take a shower and do a bit of catchup when I arrive.

Mods, this query is tightly coupled to arriving on an AA flight so I figured this forum would be as good as any. Also considered posting it here as well: finnair-new-long-haul-lounge-hel
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:46 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Finnair lounge complex is located before passport control and you can access it after exiting the arriving AA flight. After your shower exit the lounge then continue the regular arrival process.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:29 pm

Has anyone used this lounge on arrival on the basis of a J boarding pass on the AA arrival or EXP/PLT status? The next morning arrival of the AA flight makes this a somewhat grey area in relation to Oneworld lounge access rules.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1.5MM, AC
Originally Posted by HNL
The Finnair lounge complex is located before passport control and you can access it after exiting the arriving AA flight. After your shower exit the lounge then continue the regular arrival process.
I'm doing the ORD-HEL flight next month also and was wondering about an arrivals lounge too. I'm an EXP flying biz on an eVIP.

I've not been at an airport before that has the lounge before you clear immigration/passport control/customs, etc., so I'm curious about that. On my other int'l flights I've been herded directly to passport control. Helsinki airport is different? I can wander over to the Finnair Lounge for a break before hitting the clearance lines? I have a couple of hours to waste before I even try to check in early at my hotel.

Also, is there a fast track or elite line for security, etc. for AA passengers on the return trip? Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:29 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kinsale
I'm doing the ORD-HEL flight next month also and was wondering about an arrivals lounge too. I'm an EXP flying biz on an eVIP.
There is NOT an arrivals lounge. You can pay to access to Finnair Spa that includes access to showers (which is what I have done - even though I am connecting on another AY flight) I think it's worth the $$$$$$$ - YMMV.

I've not been at an airport before that has the lounge before you clear immigration/passport control/customs, etc., so I'm curious about that. On my other int'l flights I've been herded directly to passport control. Helsinki airport is different? I can wander over to the Finnair Lounge for a break before hitting the clearance lines? I have a couple of hours to waste before I even try to check in early at my hotel.

Also, is there a fast track or elite line for security, etc. for AA passengers on the return trip? Thanks.
As I said previously - you can access the international Finnair lounge complex before you pass through immigration. Not all Finnair arrivals will permit this, but flights from the US do. If you arrive from Asia or India you will be funneled into transit and arrivals lines and would not have arrivals access to the Finnair Lounge complex.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1.5MM, AC
Originally Posted by HNL
As I said previously - you can access the international Finnair lounge complex before you pass through immigration. Not all Finnair arrivals will permit this, but flights from the US do. If you arrive from Asia or India you will be funneled into transit and arrivals lines and would not have arrivals access to the Finnair Lounge complex.
Thanks for the additional info and explanation. From the few photos I have seen, the spa might be just the thing to fill my morning up before heading into the city center.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HNL
This is great news. I did not expect this. Do you need to pay the spa fee to use the showers or are the showers available to anyone in the lounge? What is the fee?

If you check luggage I assume you wouldn't want to spend too much time in there lest your luggage go astray if it's not picked up promptly.

Thanks for the additional info and explanation. From the few photos I have seen, the spa might be just the thing to fill my morning up before heading into the city center.
Please post back once you have arrived to confirm that everything worked out. My wife and I will be arriving in late September and I want to be sure we can plan on this.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:36 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
There are showers in the lounge, i.e. you do not need to enter the spa to use them. Pretty nice amenities too.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The Glo Airport hotel landside on the basement floor offers, apart from day rooms, also showers (and sauna if prebooked) The Spa is rather nice but this might be the better option if time is an issue.

http://www.hotelglo.fi/en/lehdistoti...vantaa-airport
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I flew the ORD-HEL flight few weeks back. Upon arrival you walk by the Finnair Via Lounge. I stopped *just to use the restroom*, and I was told it was not an arrivals lounge and I was basically told to move on. Note that I was flying business and I'm a OW Emerald, so chances of using those facilities seems meager upon arrival per my experience.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
I'm hoping I can obtain access with Priority Pass Select, can't see any reason why that would not work. I'd only expect OW Emerald to work here if I had an ongoing flight on a OW airline.

I'm arriving early September and will share my experience. Thanks for all who responded!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP, AA LT Plat (2.3 mil.)Marriott PLAT, HH Gold
Am doing a turnaround on AA metal in Sept. Arrive HEL 8:30 a.m. and depart 2:10 p.m. Last time I went to HEL (in May), AA check in counter at HEL didn't open until 2 hours before. I don't want to have to go land side and wait if I don't have to.

If I have boarding pass for return flight (am planning on getting it at Admiral's Club ORD before leaving U.S. and within the 24 hr preflight period), must I go through Immigration at HEL? Can I just go to Finn Air Lounge and wait out the 6 hours?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:28 am

I would go and visit Finnland.
Helsinki or some other smaller town.

Finnland in September is not that ugly. And definitely not nicer than Via Lounge at Airport.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:30 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GWright
Am doing a turnaround on AA metal in Sept. Arrive HEL 8:30 a.m. and depart 2:10 p.m. Last time I went to HEL (in May), AA check in counter at HEL didn't open until 2 hours before. I don't want to have to go land side and wait if I don't have to.

If I have boarding pass for return flight (am planning on getting it at Admiral's Club ORD before leaving U.S. and within the 24 hr preflight period), must I go through Immigration at HEL? Can I just go to Finn Air Lounge and wait out the 6 hours?
If you have your boarding pass there is no reason to clear immigration and you can proceed to the lounge.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I flew the ORD-HEL flight few weeks back. Upon arrival you walk by the Finnair Via Lounge.
Interesting...I have done the HEL connection many times but always coming from Asia, where you are indeed shuffled to the transfer/connections security check (where you show your connecting boarding pass) before ending back up in the departures area..wonder why they would treat a U.S. connection differently than the ones from Asia...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.