First try at aadvantage shopping

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:00 pm
POH
Original Poster

Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
First try at aadvantage shopping

I used aadvantage shopping for the first time today. After I clicked through the link from aadvantageeshopping.com, there was no indication that the store I was in 'knew' I had come from AA. Same was true on order confirmation page. Is this normal and I should just be patient and wait 4 - 6 weeks for my points, or did I screw up?

POH
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
should be just fine

Welcome to a wonderful way to gather AA miles.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: AA/IC
You didn't screw up

Originally Posted by POH
I used aadvantage shopping for the first time today. After I clicked through the link from aadvantageeshopping.com, there was no indication that the store I was in 'knew' I had come from AA. Same was true on order confirmation page. Is this normal and I should just be patient and wait 4 - 6 weeks for my points, or did I screw up?

POH
If AAdvantage eShopping does not ask for your AAdvantage number before sending you on to the merchant, then that merchant has a direct relationship with AA and manages their own mileage program. In that case, you should see something on the merchant site that let's you know that you came from AA. At the very least, they will have some way to enter your AAdvantage info during checkout.

If you are asked for your AAdvantage number before leaving the AAdvantage eShopping website, then they have only an affiliate relationship with AA and you will not see any indication on the website that you came from AA. In this case, your visit is tracked by using cookies and the merchant will not ask for your AAdvantage info.

Hope this helps...
Jhereg
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:39 am
POH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhereg
If AAdvantage eShopping does not ask for your AAdvantage number before sending you on to the merchant, then that merchant has a direct relationship with AA and manages their own mileage program. In that case, you should see something on the merchant site that let's you know that you came from AA. At the very least, they will have some way to enter your AAdvantage info during checkout.

If you are asked for your AAdvantage number before leaving the AAdvantage eShopping website, then they have only an affiliate relationship with AA and you will not see any indication on the website that you came from AA. In this case, your visit is tracked by using cookies and the merchant will not ask for your AAdvantage info.

Hope this helps...
Jhereg
That helps a lot, Jhereg. Thanks. I was asked for my aa number before leaving the aa site. I guess I would like to have seen some kind of confirmation on checkout acknowledging that I came from AA.

Does it really take 4 - 6 weeks for miles to post to AA?

POH
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: AA/IC
Originally Posted by POH
...Does it really take 4 - 6 weeks for miles to post to AA?...
Yeah, 4-6 weeks is about average posting time for the base miles. Bonus miles may be posted at a later date depending on the terms and conditions of the promotion.

Jhereg
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:56 am

Caution for the future, but it's too late now.

I recently made a purchase thru AAeShopping with Eddie Bauer, and did not get the (840) miles I expected. After a frustrating canned response, AAeShopping concluded that in my research before the purchase I visited a site that deposited a cookie which established a prior claim on any rewards from Eddie Bauer. Though I went to Eddie Bauer through AAeShopping, and logged in with my AAdvantage number etc, and committed no other "sins" (like leaving and returning halfway through the transaction, etc.) the credit/commission for the sale went to the site that deposited the cookie (without my knowing it).

AAeShopping's solution for the future was that before doing any shopping, one should clear all browser histories, cookies, cached pages etc. just before entering their "store".
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:00 pm
POH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JCareyB
I recently made a purchase thru AAeShopping with Eddie Bauer, and did not get the (840) miles I expected. After a frustrating canned response, AAeShopping concluded that in my research before the purchase I visited a site that deposited a cookie which established a prior claim on any rewards from Eddie Bauer. Though I went to Eddie Bauer through AAeShopping, and logged in with my AAdvantage number etc, and committed no other "sins" (like leaving and returning halfway through the transaction, etc.) the credit/commission for the sale went to the site that deposited the cookie (without my knowing it).

AAeShopping's solution for the future was that before doing any shopping, one should clear all browser histories, cookies, cached pages etc. just before entering their "store".
Oh... that's E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the type of thing I am concerned about. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...
Old Aug 12, 2007, 2:16 am

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The above post happened two and a half years ago and nobody is carping about this since. There's searching and there's looking for trouble.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by nonyflyer
I just purchased next semesters of books with Barnes and Noble through AAShopping. I bought around $500 in books and there's a promotion for double credit or 6 miles per dollar. It's also my first time using this shopping program.

If for some reason the points do not post - will AA work with you to get credit? The scenario described above is worrisome. I did everything correctly but I don't want any issues : (
Don't worry about it. AA's eshopping works quite well and problems are rare. If there IS a problem, send them a copy of your receipt and explain that you went through their site and they'll probably fix it.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, it is very important to clear all caches, browser history, etc., before going into eShopping.

Basically, the point of eShopping is to prevent people from shopping around because they worry about not getting the mileage credit. That gives the merchants a competitive edge, and offers them a reason for participating in the program.

So, what you should do is shop around for what you want, and once you are sure of the exact item(s), go out of the site, delete cookies and cache, then use eShopping to get back to the site, and then add the items to your cart and buy directly, without clicking on any external links or using forward or back buttons on your browser.

As stated previously, it will take 4-6 weeks minimum for the miles to appear. If you wish, you can arrange to receive an email informing you that the miles have posted.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AAdvantage eShopping works pretty well IME, and you have received (even before you requested it,) some pretty good advice from truly experienced and veteran eShoppers. Start your eShopping from the AA site you have logged in to, and if you have been visiting around (particularly any referral kind of page) be sure to clear your browser cache / cookies. (You can clear 'em all, or you can hunt them down if you can figure out which cookie they planted on your hard drive.)

As ricktoronto says, if it had been a major problem, we'd have many of these threads telling us so.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
My experience, in the summer of 07, was smooth.

Logged into site, made purchase and a little over six weeks later got miles.
This was my second purchase, in this case from tigerdirect, and even though I bought drastically reduced items, the credit did come through.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG PLT| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
one technique that works well for me: i use firefox as my primary browser (has all my bookmarks and is where i make all reservations/purchases/etc.) and explorer when i want to remain anonymous; after every session i use ccleaner (available free at cnet's download.com) to clear cookies, browsing history, etc.

ymmv. good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.