Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time Heathrow to Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
So why is that? I've run into this on all the European airlines I've run into lately. Specifically, why on earth, do the European carriers care how much your carry-on lugguge weighs? I mean, it doesn't matter where the bag ends up, carry-on or checked, it uses the same amount of fuel. Or are the Euro-carriers admitting the Airbus planes they buy have flimsy overhead compartments?

I'm thinking, since the intra-Europe "business-class" seems no different from coach, other than you get to sit at the front of the plane and get a free copy of the Financial Times, this is one of the few value-adds for their "business-class" of service: you get hassled less about the weight of your carry-on than the unwashed masses do in Economy.

Other than safety , there is also the benefit that stopping people bringing their entire possessions as hand luggage, means that there is no trouble finding space in overhead luggage lockers.

On the business class side, although the seats are similar to economy , just wider, the price differential between economy and business is not ridiculous like the US difference between economy and 1st tends to be ime

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 18, 2004 at 4:15 am
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:36 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Other than safety , there is also the benefit that stopping people bringing their entire possessions as hand luggage, means that there is no trouble finding space in overhead luggage lockers.
That I understand, which is why size restrictions make sense. But the pitifully low weight restrictions do not.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
These archaic carry-on regulations predate advent of Airbus aircraft, so that isn't it. Maybe even began when they were still flying L-1049s and -1649s and DC-7Cs transocean (they had open shelves above the seats, you didn't want anything of substance up there!) Whatever, these regs have taken a life of their own, and they are enforced in other places than Europe - try a Qantas flight sometime, you'll see (13lb / 6 kg,) especially if you trave through BNE and have the travel troll there walk over and heft your bag with a gleam in her eye...

But surprisingly, we flew LHR - BRU in BA CW (A320,) and were allowed out carry-ons, as well as SFO - LHR! These were full-size TravelPro rollaboards... they asked if we had checked any bags, we said "no," and on we rolled.

Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
That I understand, which is why size restrictions make sense. But the pitifully low weight restrictions do not.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In my opinion and experience, the BA people often

enjoy embarrassing Americans who have too much carry on baggage. I'm talking actual glee here. It's their airline and their rule. I stay will within the limit but have stood in check in lines behind people who haven't and watched them get the full treatment. It is fun to watch someone trying to repack bags at a check in counter, up to a point.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
enjoy embarrassing Americans who have too much carry on baggage. I'm talking actual glee here. It's their airline and their rule. I stay will within the limit but have stood in check in lines behind people who haven't and watched them get the full treatment. It is fun to watch someone trying to repack bags at a check in counter, up to a point.
The Brits have never enjoyed all the freedoms that we yanks have enjoyed, and I have always attributed their "glee" over the carryon weight issue to their envy of those freedoms.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA
I apologize for going back to the original topic - but I am looking at a flight arriving at LHR at 06:15 am on a Monday, connecting with the only BA flight that day to KRK departing LGW at 9:45 am. Way too tight, or doable?
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Tight, with rush-hour traffic on the M25. Worse if you have to hang around LHR to retrieve a checked bag. When I've done this using Speedlink I've given myself four hours minimum even at midday (between rush hours) and it's been a near thing once or twice. If your inbound flight is late, or -- worse -- if you land OT but then sit tight for 20, 30, or more minutes waiting for a stand, as often happens at LHR in the morning, you'll be feeling the heavy stress.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:17 am

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat Pro
Take the heathrow and gatwick expresses!!!

Originally Posted by polkacat
I apologize for going back to the original topic - but I am looking at a flight arriving at LHR at 06:15 am on a Monday, connecting with the only BA flight that day to KRK departing LGW at 9:45 am. Way too tight, or doable?
I'd take the trains. Also you can get a 'share a taxi' from Paddington which is where the Heathrow Express ends up in London to Victoria for the Gatwick Express for a fixed price, which may be a sensible idea to do too

Good luck!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by xTWAnowAAer
Before you land the FA will pass out arrival cards with a pink Fastrack folder/pamphlet to put it into. You give the pink thing to the customs agent to get into the fastrack lane.
More or less. You have to be at the entrance to the FasTrack lane before you reach an agent (immigration, BTW, not customs) to give it to.

When you reach the immigration hall, keep walking along the right-hand wall to the end instead of turning left to enter the queue for the main group of agents. When you have to turn left because the room has come to an end, there will be an agent collecting those pink landing card jackets. Give it to him/her and continue to the FasTrack desks.

One nice aspect of this process is that you get to check out the queue for the main group before you enter FasTrack, so you can go that way if it's short. FasTrack is usually faster but occasionally, since there are just two desks there, backs up when two people have problems and can take ages. Also, if you don't always fly in front, this lets you save the jacket to use on your next economy-class trip, when it might make more of a difference, or to give to a friend who flew in back. (The agent who collects them doesn't care how you got it.)
Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
I think you'll find it's something called SAFETY.
phooey. are BA's J/F class travelers safety-trained to have 18kg of carry-on instead of 12 or 6 for W and Y??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.