Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel an award and rebook as paid ticket question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Cancel an award and rebook as paid ticket question

I have an award ticket on AA booked with BA avios points that I wish to cancel. How long should I wait to rebook as a paid ticket via aa.com? I don't want the reservation systems on AA to think I have 2 tickets on the same flight with my name.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:33 am

Last week I called BA to cancel an award and saw the points reinstated to my account and rebooked another flight same date while still on the phone. So the BA ticket should be gone quickly. From AA's end, I am not sure if AA captures/identifies other partner's duplicate itineraries when they do the sweeps. Can you hold the AA itinerary( assuming it is not caught at that time...and if not, the sweeps only occur every so often), call and cancel the BA itinerary and confirm it by looking at your avois balance change, and then purchase the AA ticket?

Last edited by alien; Sep 2, 2015 at 10:48 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IM will have the seat back in inventory well before you have an email cancelling the ticket. You should go ahead and book the AA paid ticket immediately.

Whether the Avios are back in your account (or in the case of a paid ticket, the $ refunded) is not material.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I have an award ticket on AA booked with BA avios points that I wish to cancel. How long should I wait to rebook as a paid ticket via aa.com? I don't want the reservation systems on AA to think I have 2 tickets on the same flight with my name.
Not an issue, you can rebook instantly.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Book a paid one without AA#
2) cancel award
3) add AA# to paid

You definitely don't want to cancel award first and then find upon clicking through that the fare is no longer available and award inventory is gone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.