Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good on AA. It's about time. It would tick me off too if I failed to know that the dimensions of my bag exceeded the published dimensions. But, I certainly wouldn't hold that against AA.

AA has made clear that it is doing this worldwide. Given the generous carry-on allowance, the fact that the rules are finally being enforced should not pose anything other than a minor inconvenience for most (buying a $0.49 measuring tape and measuring the bag before heading to the airport).
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by FNZFUND
New to me, US/AA cracking down on carry-on size at BOS this morning. My bag fit in the sizer, and the handle (9/1). 22" roll aboard was MAYBE 1/4" over, counting my FlyerTalk bag tag! Checked it in, ticked me off. Counter Agent told me it was supposed to be systemwide, FAA has been cracking down on USAir. But I probably won't have a problem in PHL. Leave yourself some extra time!
I've merged this into the extant thread discussing this topic.

~Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by hbtr
Ultimately the bin is only so big, and the rollerboard that has to go in sideways rather than wheels first makes very poor use of the available space, and that happens too often. And while a size limit might be "arbitrary" to some people, that's far less arbitrary than every GA subjectively deciding what will fit without a rule or a measurement.
Sure--if the sizer actually matched the dimensions of the bin, I think you'd see a lot less pushback. The problem is the current policy is arbitrary and unnecessary, and people don't like policies that are arbitrary and unnecessary so they try to "cheat" instead. brp's approach to a new sizer, for example, would let through the "slightly larger than the current sizer" bags while not allowing anything that wouldn't go wheels-first into the bin.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hbtr
So, this basically boils down to 1) allow a slightly larger bag size (and closer to what a lot of companies sell as "carry on size"), and 2) make the sizer a little loose rather than extra tight, right?

Seems reasonable to me.
Yup. Publish the smaller limits and give a little. Because we know that we all (and I mean the vast majority of people, not just FTers ) try to push limits just a bit. If the published size is 0.5" more, we'll try to push a little beyond that...and we will eventually exceed the bin. If they keep it as is, and give a little to fit the bin, it stops the limit pushing there.

Originally Posted by Mark_T
That's what we already have right now isn't it?

I'll try to measure the sizer when I fly next week to confirm, but any measurements of the sizer that I've seen reported exceed the published limit a little in all dimensions.
Based on your prior post and link, it seems so. But there was mention that that was an old post. It may still be the case, and that would be cool. We fly out of SFO on Thursday and I will bring a small tape as well.

If this is still the case, it's the right approach, IMO. Kinda like establishments that post 8AM as the opening time and open maybe 7:50 on a fairly regular basis.

Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm very glad to see this. It's been a pet peeve of mine for a while - people bringing way too much. It takes up the overhead space and slows the boarding process.

My trip that started on 8/27 and ended yesterday had 0 issues with this. I had my usual laptop backpack, and my BU222X carryon. Fits in everything except the canadian torture tube I was on, and never got a second glance from anyone at AUA, MIA, or DFW.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
AA to begin strict enforcement of carry on / hand baggage (28 Aug '15)

You know if airlines in general stopped charging for the first checked bag .......would it still be a problem
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
It's the wheels. I've watched the domestic boarding show from exit rows as well as F over the years. At least 20% of those in either cabin have a wheeled bag that's (i) too heavy for them to lift alone, and/or (ii) too deep. If they had no wheels, they would pack less and lighter.

The other issue, is of course, the personal item - or hat - or coat - or small shopping bag in the overhead. Inconsiderate and unnecessary. The FAs have to start enforcing this. Then - once aloft, and if there's space, pax should be free to stow that stuff up top. Me, I have the personal item under the seat. Much more convenient when working or accessing files, an iPad or Phone or just a book. And before landing I don't have to move to the aisle to pull out a bag & stow these items. I just don't get the obsession some have with throwing everything topside on a domestic flight. And it's not footroom. If the personal item is right-sized, you have plenty of underseat room except for IFE in some aisles on 738s and probably a few others like the 321.

edit: my BR U122CX fits in the DCA AA sizers. It's 22.5" high. A Red Oxx Air Boss or Sky Train also fit easily. If not overstuffed.

Last edited by AATrout; Sep 1, 2015 at 9:11 am Reason: BR comment
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:12 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I don't know, I have a 20" Victorinox that is supposedly "international" carrier compliant. Many non-US carriers are very strict about bringing baggage on board and I have never been questioned when traveling with my 20" and a laptop bag, despite it going around the world with me several times this year. It's a squeeze sometimes for me to get what I need into a 20" bag but I've figured out ways to make it work. Even budget carriers like AirAsia don't question my bag.

I'm not worried about AA accepting my bag for travel. Perhaps those who are concerned might want to investigate an investment in a smaller bag, which would also alleviate cabin baggage concerns when traveling overseas. Everyone wins.

Part of the problem I've seen is travelers with a compliant 22" rollaboard overstuffed to the point it's bulging, which doesn't fit in the bin. I contend they should publish the dimensions of the 20" case, but allow their sizers to permit a reasonable (not overstuffed) 22" case in practice. People will always push the limits, as it's human nature. An overstuffed 20" case will stand a better chance of fitting in a bin than an overstuffed 22" case.

Last edited by dll; Sep 1, 2015 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I'll try to measure the sizer when I fly next week to confirm, but any measurements of the sizer that I've seen reported exceed the published limit a little in all dimensions.
I don't have the dimensions anymore, but an old post of mine stated the length was 23in.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fotographer
You know if airlines in general stopped charging for the first checked bag .......would it still be a problem
Yes. The whiners here are largely elites who already have a "free" bag. They just don't want to check and can't measure a bag.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes. The whiners here are largely elites who already have a "free" bag. They just don't want to check and can't measure a bag.
People would probably be a lot more willing to check bags if AA's baggage handling weren't so awful.

And it seems pretty silly to argue that people can't measure when what everyone who disagrees with you is saying is that the sizer should be based on the dimensions of the bin rather than some arbitrary smaller size. It's not that we can't measure, it's that AA's measurements make no sense. (And saying that the sizer is the size that AA allows isn't a retort to this argument, it's just a nonsense tautology.)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Sant
I don't have the dimensions anymore, but an old post of mine stated the length was 23in.
This is more about re-verifying the old measurements than anything else.

Doesn't seem that anyone has measured in the last couple of years so worth checking again to be sure.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
If someone flies enough to accumulate 25/50/100k miles in a year, they (and/or their companies) clearly value their time more than a family going to disney world once a year. Adding an extra hour each way (minimum) for checking/retrieving baggage over 25-100 flights a year is not a productive use of time. They've also flown enough to know that their current bag fits properly in any mainline bin in the fleet, even if one wheel sticks out 0.1" past the end of the sizer.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ckx2
BA has an interesting concept to deal with this. Smaller items such as bagpacks receive a yellow label indicating it should be put under the seat - larger items such as carry ons receive a different label for the overhead bin. Cabin crew actively checked it and even reshuffled items and told people to put yellow labeled items under their seats in order to have more space in the overhead bin. Worked out pretty good so far
I would assume that if I carry-on only one backpack, I get the overhead tag, right?

This is often my pattern if I fly an airline where I have a one-checked-bag allowance. My carry-on is small, within the "personal item" dimensions, but it goes overhead without exception. My feet go under my seat.

On those occasions when I have two carry-ons, then I play nice and put the personal item under my seat. (If there's overhead room for it after everyone boards...great...but that's rare.)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by fotographer
Compare the boarding experience for any US airline to Australia. QF can board a 737-800 in 15 minutes flat; it takes closer to 40 minutes to board one in the US. QF doesn't charge bag fees (and delivers bags promptly to the carousel), and there are far fewer bags going in the overhead bin slowing boarding.

That's why I think a carrot and stick approach is best: yes, enforce carry-on restrictions more stringently (though I think it's the ridiculously oversided duffels that go in sideways and the passengers who put both their rollaboard and their personal item in the overhead bin that are a problem much more than slightly-oversized rollaboards that still go in wheels first), but also allow free checking of rollaboard-sized bags as a carrot to simply reduce the number of passengers who bring bags aboard.

For sure, frequent flyers will likely still bring bags on board (though I actually do check bags with AS more now since they deliver checked bags quickly and reliably), but I think it's inarguable that checked bag fees have led to a significant increase in the number of carry-on bags.

And I don't think that charging for carry-ons is at all necessary to reduce the number of carry-on bags (though such a charge would obviously have that effect).

I haven't flown Southwest in years (since they don't fly anywhere I want/need to go, not because I particularly avoid them), but my recollection is that their boarding is much faster. I know it's hard to compare their boarding system to any other airline, but is that still true? Are there noticeably fewer carry-on bags on WN?

I've flown jetBlue once or twice, and I think there are fewer carry-ons there, but it's hard to tell. And their free checked bag is going away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.