Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Help Me Design a Test To See if AA Truly Reads their Complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Me Design a Test To See if AA Truly Reads their Complaints

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by DWFI
AAG flies 500m pax per year.

If 2.5% of those people write in (which is not an altogether high number based on my experiences - and frankly, if people here are writing in 3 times a year they would need to be flying 120 segments annually to hit that ratio, which seems reasonable), you're looking at 35k messages daily and 12.5million annually.

You would need an army to be able to handle that kind of volume without computerized help.

When I have had significant feedback that I wanted heard regarding the LAX station, I emailed the LAX Premium Services manager, who I know personally.

He called me back the next day, apologized, and let me know the issue would be addressed.

I'm happy for YOU, but do you perhaps have any ideas for those of us who are not as well connected?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I'm happy for YOU, but do you perhaps have any ideas for those of us who are not as well connected?
[email protected]
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Unfortunately no. The way customer service in the world's biggest airline works is that they aggregate the amount of complaints about an issue. They will use that data to address what they think is the most pressing or cost effective way to improve customer satisfaction.

I've ran a customer service team before and it is truly difficult to have a system where a single complaint can lead to a policy change.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DWFI
I've ran a customer service team before and it is truly difficult to have a system where a single complaint can lead to a policy change.
Nor would such a system make any sense for a company trying to base its policies on data and evidence.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

So my question to you is what test can I design to determine if AA actually read their complaints and do something about them?

If you help design it I'll try it if its reasonable.
Why don't you just call and voice your complaint?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomMM
Why don't you just call and voice your complaint?
Can't.

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5903
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:43 pm

I have consistently sent in complaints regarding First Class Food Quality and each time I write that I DO NOT WANT MILES!!!!!!!

Each time I get a canned response and MILES!

I do not want to be labeled a problem passenger who is just trying to get miles out of the airline, hence why i always write that I DO NOT WANT MILES, yet it seems that my complaints either fall on deaf ears or AA is unable to circumvent the process of awarding miles as a form of compensation.

Either way it is annoying, not unexpected, but annoying. If only American were like Costco, now that would be pretty awesome. The few times I have complained to Costco, someone has taken ownership of the problem and fixed the issue to my satisfaction if not surpassing my satisfaction.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
I have consistently sent in complaints regarding First Class Food Quality and each time I write that I DO NOT WANT MILES!!!!!!!

Clearly, AA's text analysis software sees the word "MILES" in your complaint and acts accordingly
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kmersh

Bingo!

This is the unequivocal proof that AA does not read all its complaints.

It hit me after re-reading my initial posts. In all my complaints I say like kmersh, "I DO NOT WANT MILES" in big caps at the start of the email.

No human would read that and then send me miles.

Case solved.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:26 pm

This is the unequivocal proof that AA does not read all its complaints.
No human would read that and then send me miles.
Not true, actually. There are plenty of reasons a real, live CS agent would proactively give compensation to a customer who claimed they didn't want any. Happens all the time.

But if you think you've found whatever it is you were trying to find, then more power to you.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjw242
Not true, actually. There are plenty of reasons a real, live CS agent would proactively give compensation to a customer who claimed they didn't want any. Happens all the time.

But if you think you've found whatever it is you were trying to find, then more power to you.
I should have stated my complete sentences I use in my complaints. It is the very first few sentence and is:

"I DO NOT WANT MILES. What I want and will only accept instead is a clear explanation how this happened and how I can stop it happening in the future."

So its clear no agent reading that will send me miles.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I should have stated my complete sentences I use in my complaints. It is the very first few sentence and is:

"I DO NOT WANT MILES. What I want and will only accept instead is a clear explanation how this happened and how I can stop it happening in the future."

So its clear no agent reading that will send me miles.
Just because you present a clearly worded statement does not mean the individual (or computer) assigned to deal with the message will focus on what you feel is the issue and heaven forbid you have more than one issue. Figure they have a limited amount of time to determine what, if any, action is needed and they move on to the next message. Metrics in support just don't work. With the bean counters driving a lot of action they have to have numbers to support their actions, good, bad, or otherwise.

The apparent action needed to get attention is to submit the complaint and then reply when the response is non-sense. Short of knowing someone in the company, that appears to work the best.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA will not make changes they see as expensive or unnecessary. True to form once the MIA and JFK ACs get busy the WiFi connection becomes slow. AA could upgrade the service but sees no financial justification. Welcome to the world of big business. Even look at Spirit-the king of consumer complaints but yet they are a darling of Wall Street-not that you would ever catch a Wall Streeter within a mile of a Spirit flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.