Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Help Me Design a Test To See if AA Truly Reads their Complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Me Design a Test To See if AA Truly Reads their Complaints

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by arollins
1, regarding the downgrade of the phone system. I feel that the level of communication has suffered a lot and the waiting time for the prompts and to get to a live person is far too long. I didn't get a boilerplate answer, more like an explanation on how the new system works, but it certainly didn't improve the situation.
Have you called the EXP line lately? It gets you to an agent even more quickly than the old system now, without the long spiel on bleach and household cleaners. I suspect that's one instance where a surge in complaints actually did make a difference.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by rjw242
Have you called the EXP line lately? It gets you to an agent even more quickly than the old system now, without the long spiel on bleach and household cleaners. I suspect that's one instance where a surge in complaints actually did make a difference.
Not recently, but thanks for pointing that out. Will give it a try this AM on my way to work. I actually do call from time to time to check on my flight schedules and upgrades via the automated process.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by arollins
Not recently, but thanks for pointing that out. Will give it a try this AM on my way to work. I actually do call from time to time to check on my flight schedules and upgrades via the automated process.
I called last night (for the first time in a few months) and was pleasantly surprised. Got a prompt along the lines of "in a few words, tell me what you're looking for," answered "Agent", and was transferred immediately.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rjw242
I called last night (for the first time in a few months) and was pleasantly surprised. Got a prompt along the lines of "in a few words, tell me what you're looking for," answered "Agent", and was transferred immediately.
Most EXPs are travel savvy. When they call the EXP line they need a real human being. Having a plethora of prompts just makes the process too longwinded. If its something I could have resolved online, I would have. Now if AA wants to make improvements online, like online rebooking in the case of irregular ops or misconnects I'm all for it.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
While I agree many complaints receive canned responses I don't think all are and testing this is really unnecessary. I remember when AA started flying ORD-China and many of the agents were confused about TWOV and demanded visas. I contacted AA who addressed this with the station manager and provided additional training.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
While I agree many complaints receive canned responses I don't think all are and testing this is really unnecessary. I remember when AA started flying ORD-China and many of the agents were confused about TWOV and demanded visas. I contacted AA who addressed this with the station manager and provided additional training.
I'm glad you got a successful resolution, but I think that's a special case where a new product was introduced and they were probably looking for feedback.

In my case I'm referring to a problem in an exiting product/system. The interlining of planes via LAX has diminished over the last year. The AA staff/reps at TBIT are horrendous. I flew AA code share flights (but flown by QF) from Australia and then with an AA flight from terminal 4 and the staff refused to put them on the conveyor belt to interline! When I pointed out it was all AA code share she started complaining that we all buy these 3 hour connection tickets and then complain when our bags are lost.

Sure enough my bags were delayed two days in this case.

Now before some you start saying well the TBIT staff are not AA staff I don't care. I'm paying AA my ticket price and they are responsible for my bags getting to me.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It's possible to receive a canned response even if AA is listening. For instance, I received a canned response to my complaints about the phone system. But obviously AA was listening and the volume of complaints brought about changes.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

So my question to you is what test can I design to determine if AA actually read their complaints and do something about them?

Creating unnecessary " test complaints" is probably exactly why the rest of us get generic canned answers.....
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by david4455
Creating unnecessary " test complaints" is probably exactly why the rest of us get generic canned answers.....
That's utterly ridiculous.

Not that the OP's "test complaint" idea isn't as well, but let's not combat nonsense with nonsense.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Simply a misunderstanding of the entire system. Whether the complaint is initially scanned and categorized by software or a human being is irrelevant. Whether the response is canned is irrelevant.

AA, just like other large organizations, does pay a great deal of attention to complaint volume. But, it's metrics based.

Fixing the TWOV issue for China flights is binary. The ORD agents either had it right or wrong. If one person raised the issue, that was enough. No investment beyond the cost of a call/WebEx explaining the issue. OTOH. whether AA invests $1 Mill. in transfer baggage at one station or puts that money into better cookies in the AC, is not binary.

Similarly, "testing" the system is a waste of time. It's a certainty that AA uses software to scan and matches that to the PNR information it already has as well as the CRM data it has on the complainer.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
AA, just like other large organizations, does pay a great deal of attention to complaint volume. But, it's metrics based.
Indeed, and there have been a few cases where I think it's fairly evident that AA responded to customer feedback/backlash (new phone system, meal windows/quality, maybe even some progress on PDBs). But this thread seems to be more along the lines of, "AA didn't bend over backwards to PROVE that they took action in response to my extremely specific complaint," in the thin guise of an intellectual proposal.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Simply a misunderstanding of the entire system. Whether the complaint is initially scanned and categorized by software or a human being is irrelevant. Whether the response is canned is irrelevant.
Of course its not irrelevant. The overwhelming advice given on this board is under the assumption that a human reads the complaint.

If a human doesn't and a machine just scans it for keywords and generates an automated response then don't waste your time writing careful prose just write a few keywords done and be done with it.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ah Ha. I have the definitive answer to my question!

So if you weren't all so preoccupied with defending AA you would have realized the answer to my question is in my original post.

Can anyone reason the answer to my question and why given my first post?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
If a human doesn't and a machine just scans it for keywords and generates an automated response then don't waste your time writing careful prose just write a few keywords done and be done with it.
Agree 100%, regardless of whether it's a human or a machine. Just get your point across and be done with it. Same goes for this thread.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
AAG flies 500m pax per year.

If 2.5% of those people write in (which is not an altogether high number based on my experiences - and frankly, if people here are writing in 3 times a year they would need to be flying 120 segments annually to hit that ratio, which seems reasonable), you're looking at 35k messages daily and 12.5million annually.

You would need an army to be able to handle that kind of volume without computerized help.

When I have had significant feedback that I wanted heard regarding the LAX station, I emailed the LAX Premium Services manager, who I know personally.

He called me back the next day, apologized, and let me know the issue would be addressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.