Transcon service in F questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Transcon service in F questions

Hi,

First time posting on the AA forum.
I will fly SFO-JFK on the transcon service. It will be in first class.
The flight will leave SFO at 10.55pm and arrive in NY at 7.38am.
As I want to maximize my sleep on board, I have a couple of questions: (and sorry as I never flew with AA before)

Which lounge can use at SFO and do they provide pre-flight supper? If not, is the lounge food substantial or only some carrot sticks?
Whilst on board, what will be the catering proposed? Diner, breakfast or both?
Assuming I had diner at the airport, I will try to sleep straight away. Can I asked to be woken up 40 minutes before landing and still expect a full breakfast.
Finally, is there an arrival lounge that I can use in JFK for shower and change?

Thank you!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:24 am

I just flew this flight last week (in Business, not First). There will be a meal served after take-off, but it's a light meal, not dinner. I skipped it as I had no desire to eat at midnight. There is also a snack served pre-arrival, but it's not really breakfast in my opinion. Skipped that too :-)

Given the departure and arrival times, your best best will be to eat in both airports, and sleep on the plane. The FAs will leave you alone for the entire flight if you wish.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:06 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I haven't flown this red-eye, but I can speak to the lounge situation...

In SFO, you'll have access to the Admirals Club; it's a nice, but standard domestic US airport lounge. There is no pre-flight dining option in the lounge, nor will there be much food in the lounge other than perhaps a few apples, cookies, and snack/trail mix. I'd suggest eating before you got to the airport or visiting one of the dining establishments in the terminal.

As for arrival, you should be able to access the Flagship Lounge at JFK. Just head to the main Admirals Club lounge across from Gate 12. Show the agents your F boarding pass for your inbound flight, and they'll let you into the Flagship Lounge. Also, you can ask the agents in the club for a shower.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JY1024
In SFO, you'll have access to the Admirals Club; it's a nice, but standard domestic US airport lounge. There is no pre-flight dining option in the lounge, nor will there be much food in the lounge other than perhaps a few apples, cookies, and snack/trail mix. I'd suggest eating before you got to the airport or visiting one of the dining establishments in the terminal.
Alternatively, in SF (not SFO) you'll have access to some of the best food in the world. Unless your schedule really is booked up until the moment you leave for the airport, I'd say ditch the airport and airplane food altogether!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I reread your post a couple of times, and I'm not clear on one thing.

If you are flying SFO to JFK and then on to an International destination, say London as in your profile, Admirals Club access is included.

If the itinerary is strictly SFO to JFK and you are not an Admirals Club member you will not be given access at either airport.

Not sure if this would entail 1 one day pass to purchase or 2.

Meal questions have been answered, nothing to add there.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thumper
If the itinerary is strictly SFO to JFK and you are not an Admirals Club member you will not be given access at either airport.

Except that the OP is flying first class, which confers lounge access (including Flagship Lounges, where available).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
If you are flying SFO to JFK and then on to an International destination, say London as in your profile, Admirals Club access is included.

That's not correct. Passengers flying in business or first class on a transcontinental flight (JFK/LAX, JFK/SFO, MIA/LAX) have access to the Admirals Club at their origin and destination.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

F&J get lounge access on the premium transcons. I don't know the hour that many of the SFO dining options close, but T-2 has some of the best airport dining in the USA.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Except that the OP is flying first class, which confers lounge access (including Flagship Lounges, where available).
Plus the OP is a BA Silver which would get them into the AC even if they were flying coach.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by rjw242
Alternatively, in SF (not SFO) you'll have access to some of the best food in the world. Unless your schedule really is booked up until the moment you leave for the airport, I'd say ditch the airport and airplane food altogether!
SFO T2 has some of the best airport food in the US. There's even a fairly good winebar. Check this link.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:24 am

Open at 10PM??
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

i am BAEC Silver (will get back to Gold after this trip ).

My Itinerary is as follow:
LRH to SFO (via DFW on BA/AA).
Then I stay 3 days in SF for business
Then fly the transcon SFO-JFK in F AA18 and will stay 3 days in NY for business before I fly back to LHR with BA.
I hope this brings some clarity.

From the comments I note that there is no decent food in the lounge. So I will either dine in town or at the airport (based on my meetings).
I will maximize sleep on board and finally will visit the arrival lounge at JFK for a shower and change before heading straight to the office in NY for a very very long day.

Thank you all for your messages!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Incorrect, if you are on a PAID ticket, even one that is upgraded from coach to business on a three class service trans-con you get admiral club access.
Business Class and First Class passengers SFO/LAX to JFK get access.

I've never tried on an award ticket, but I've received access to the clubs every time I've been upgraded on a paid ticket on this route.

Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bastien003
From the comments I note that there is no decent food in the lounge. So I will either dine in town or at the airport (based on my meetings).
I will maximize sleep on board and finally will visit the arrival lounge at JFK for a shower and change before heading straight to the office in NY for a very very long day.

Thank you all for your messages!
If you wake up and ask for the full breakfast 40 minutes before landing you'll be lucky to get some orange juice and a roll with the exasperated look and a lecture.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you wake up and ask for the full breakfast 40 minutes before landing you'll be lucky to get some orange juice and a roll with the exasperated look and a lecture.
Indeed. The FAs like to have the galley buttoned up by the 40-minute mark in case of turbulence on descent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.