Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whining: the new way to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Whining: the new way to upgrade.

On AA5797 DFW to COS. CR9 American Eagle operated by Mesa. Has a US Airways logo but seems to be operating as an AA flight.

Two of us board in F.

One pax in coach notices the six empty seats and asks how much it would cost to upgrade. FA explains they are not set up to sell upgrades.

Pax then asks if he can leave plane to talk to GA. FA says she isn't supposed to let pax off the plane.

He grumbles for several minutes.

FAs discuss. Then tell pax he is free to sit in F.

If I had only known that whining would get one upgraded to F, I would not have busted my butt to get 100K EQPs last year.

UAdbaCO has ToDs. Mesa-dba-AA has ToWs.

Last edited by mre5765; May 30, 2015 at 8:24 am
Old May 30, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
A flight attendant on one of EAAgle CR7 flight said that at AA only ground agents can process moving passengers form Y to F and flight crews, including pilots, are not allowed upgrade passengers on flights. This policy is strictly enforced. Obviously, operational reasons such as weight and balance are excluded.

This flight attendants said especially when EAAgle started to introduce F in CR7 some flight attendants were not totally aware of how strictly prohibited at AA to move passengers form Y to F. It is pretty much flight attendants fault since the policy was clearly communicated, but many may not bother to read policies provided by corporate. This flight attendant said some flight attendants were fired because of moving passengers form Y to F.

This conversation came about when a passenger in F asked if his colleague sitting in Y can came up to F and sit with him. The passenger in F mentioned that his colleague will not drink or eat F service items.

If this is true then American corporate lurking this site likely can identify the flight attendant involved form the information OP provided, and the flight attendant can get into big trouble.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by mre5765
On AA5797 DFW to COS. CR9 American Eagle operated by Mesa. Has a US Airways logo but seems to be operating as an AA flight.

Two of us board in F.

One pax in coach notices the six empty seats and asks how much it would cost to upgrade. FA explains they are not set up to sell upgrades.

Pax then asks if he can leave plane to talk to GA. FA says she isn't supposed to let pax off the plane.

He grumbles for several minutes.

FAs discuss. Then tell pax he is free to sit in F.

If I had only known that whining would get one upgraded to F, I would not have busted my butt to get 100K EQPs last year.

UAdbaCO has ToDs. Mesa-dba-AA has ToWs.
Thnx! Need the laugh of the day with ToW's!
Old May 30, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
What are ToDs and ToWs?
Old May 30, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I would commented out loud how I fly to earn status and enjoy the benefits that come with it, while others are given the benefit without any merit. That would have made a nice flight.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One would hope that with the proliferation of two-class RJs, and the advancement of hand-held technology, flight attendants at the mainline and regional operators would eventually be able to sell that passenger an upgrade or communicate with the gate agents to sell that passenger an upgrade.

Easy solution would have been for the FA to let the passenger go back to the podium and buy an upgrade even though the FA said "they weren't supposed to let them do that."

Most of us already have mileage-earning credit cards, so that sales pitch is useless for many of us, but upgrades into empty seats are something that everyone might buy again and again (any flight where they see an empty seat and a POS/COS squeezing them in their steerage seat).
Old May 30, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
1. Whatwever. I dont care too much about other people's whining. Agree FA should have let GA deal with it.

2. The FA works for Mesa. What are MESA's rules????

3. FAs on AA planes can be accused of 'theft' by allowing pax to sit in C or F. Ive had it done once, and purser said "please dont write in and mention this- we can get in trouble"
Old May 30, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
1. Whatwever. I dont care too much about other people's whining. Agree FA should have let GA deal with it.

2. The FA works for Mesa. What are MESA's rules????

3. FAs on AA planes can be accused of 'theft' by allowing pax to sit in C or F. Ive had it done once, and purser said "please dont write in and mention this- we can get in trouble"
Mesa is a provider under contract to American; they're to enforce American's rules, not anyone else's.

But yeah, others' whining just isn't worth a milistress unit.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adambrock
What are ToDs and ToWs?
ToD started on the United board, it stands for Tens of Dollars, a term meant to describe a cheap upgrade, particularly one that was sold out from under an elite on the list.

I believe the joke is that ToW would be Tens of Whines
Old May 31, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by adambrock
What are ToDs and ToWs?
Originally Posted by CMK10
ToD started on the United board, it stands for Tens of Dollars, a term meant to describe a cheap upgrade, particularly one that was sold out from under an elite on the list.

I believe the joke is that ToW would be Tens of Whines
ToD actually started on the CO board. When I was a 1K, our new elite friends from CO warned us that the 90% upgrade rate we were seeing (you know, like an EXP gets) would plummet post-merger because of ToDs. So it did.

The question is, if an FA grants a ToW, and a GA upgrades a late arriving pax at the gate to that seat, will the ToW upgrade stand or not?

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Easy solution would have been for the FA to let the passenger go back to the podium and buy an upgrade even though the FA said "they weren't supposed to let them do that."
It is a legitimate security issue. The FA has no idea what checked (normal or red tag) bags the pax has checked, or what stuff he might be leaving on board when he leaves the plane.

The only time I've asked to leave the plane of a plane I planned on flying was when I realized I'd left my passport in the gate area. The FA wasn't going to let me go, but I made it clear she I'd cancel my reservation if she didn't. All ended well; the passport was still there, and I made my international connection just fine.

The easy solution would have been for the pax to ask the GA about an upgrade before boarding.

Last edited by mre5765; May 31, 2015 at 1:03 am
Old May 31, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
When I was an EXP a couple of years ago, an Eagle flight attendant came to me and asked why I wasn't seated in First since I was EXP. I was flying on an Avios award ticket so no dice on the upgrade. No big deal since it was a super short flight (ORD-MSN). She invited me to go ahead and take any seat up front since there was only one other pax in First. I declined since it was such a short flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.