ORD-NRT Promo Fare?

Old May 4, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
ORD-NRT Promo Fare?

After a really hectic last few months at work, I was looking to take some time off towards the end of August. Wasn't quite decided on where I wanted to go so was debating between going to visit a country in Europe vs. Japan. Europe I've been to many times where as Japan only once on a transit for a few hours. So went looking for fares hoping to find a good Y+ deal on JL (so I can earn EQMs on AA) from ORD to NRT and back. Was hoping it would be in the $2,500 to $3k range.

Saw AA was giving a promo in business ORD-NRT-ORD on the new 788 for $3121! That's almost too good a deal to pass up. Hopefully it's not an error fare. Seems far too low for a flight that long, no? At double EQP, I must say it's quite a deal!
Old May 4, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
A $3k business fare to Asia is a decent deal but not unheard of, and certainly not a mistake fare. With enough advance purchase it's actually not uncommon to see business and even F fares to AA's Asian stations in the $3-4k range.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
A $3k business fare to Asia is a decent deal but not unheard of, and certainly not a mistake fare. With enough advance purchase it's actually not uncommon to see business and even F fares to AA's Asian stations in the $3-4k range.
Okay, thanks for the info. Looks like I got a genuine deal then. Should help with making EXP again this year.

After buying the ticket on what was an impulse decision (clearly), I learnt that it is typhoon season in Japan during that time. Hopefully they stay away. Oh well, at best it will be a fantastic holiday, at worst, a fantastic mileage (err..."point-age") run!
Old May 5, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Don't worry. Whatever you save on airfare you'll spend once you get to Japan. Absurdly expensive!!
Old May 5, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Don't worry. Whatever you save on airfare you'll spend once you get to Japan. Absurdly expensive!!
I'm really not sure why people keep saying that. I spent 4 days in Tokyo, accommodation was under $200/night and not once did I spend any more on a meal than I would every night of the week in New York.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I consider NYC absurdly expensive, too.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
With the favorable FX shifts that happened at the end of last year, traveling to JP has never been more affordable for Americans in recent history.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I dunno.....there's plenty of 100 yen McDonalds around. 320 yen Subway subs shops.
But, yes, I agree. A Starbucks is about 5X more expensive with triple the caffeine than its US counterparts.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
With the favorable FX shifts that happened at the end of last year, traveling to JP has never been more affordable for Americans in recent history.
I agree, but the favorable currency is not more than other foreign countries such as Australia or Europe.

Japan is an expensive country and Tokyo is an expensive city like other major cities across the globe like NYC, Sydney, Paris...
Old May 5, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Astronomer
Okay, thanks for the info. Looks like I got a genuine deal then. Should help with making EXP again this year.

After buying the ticket on what was an impulse decision (clearly), I learnt that it is typhoon season in Japan during that time. Hopefully they stay away. Oh well, at best it will be a fantastic holiday, at worst, a fantastic mileage (err..."point-age") run!
I was there last summer, and there was some heavy rain, but it was fine. Also, you may find hotels more affordable then. We LOVE Japan and Tokyo specifically! Enjoy!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I was in Kyoto last October, when a USD bought 108 yen (in comparison to today's 120 yen) and was really shocked to find some outstanding restaurants serving memorable meals at affordable rates. Multi-year deflation was this tourist's friend.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Well the exchange rate definitely looks favorable right now. I think the hotels will come out of the Starwood points and I don't see myself going to high end restaurants every night. Any way, any more talk of Japan and this thread will probably be put in a different forum.

Going back to the topic of promo fares, it does look like there are some good promo fares in business by AA for late summer. I found fares for ORD-FCO-ORD for 3.2k. Fares in Y though seem to not be that cheap.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I'm really not sure why people keep saying that. I spent 4 days in Tokyo, accommodation was under $200/night and not once did I spend any more on a meal than I would every night of the week in New York.
Agreed. Keeping with the off-topic but Japan is only expensive in certain respects. Once you get past hotels and train tickets there is not really that much expense unless you are wanting to buy a bunch of designer stuff or use taxis everywhere. In my visits to Japan I have rarely spent more than $10 on a meal. Japanese food is much more expensive here in DC!!! People here pay $15 for what is an 800 yen bowl of train station ramen over there. Most of the good sights are free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.