Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT

Lately, the last few weeks, it seems like AA has eliminated the upgrade window almost completely. For my last few flights inventory has been abundant and still no upgrade in advance of 4 hours. For example on a flight in 5 hours all categories are at 7 (F7 through A6, T7) and still no upgrade. And this is what I have been seeing for the past 10 days. The results are the same so not a big deal, but is anybody else seeing this. Im EXP.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I cleared at T-24 last week as a PLT but granted it was a leisure flight (Sunday LAS-LAX).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The upgrade window is the earliest point at which you could clear. That doesn't mean it will happen then. It can go right up until boarding time.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of late clearing on empty flights during all the weather. I assume to allow for disrupted flyers.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
Lately, the last few weeks, it seems like AA has eliminated the upgrade window almost completely. For my last few flights inventory has been abundant and still no upgrade in advance of 4 hours. For example on a flight in 5 hours all categories are at 7 (F7 through A6, T7) and still no upgrade. And this is what I have been seeing for the past 10 days. The results are the same so not a big deal, but is anybody else seeing this. Im EXP.
Don't know if this applies to your specific situation, but whenever Y is oversold, the system stops processing upgrades until very late in the game.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by sukn
Don't know if this applies to your specific situation, but whenever Y is oversold, the system stops processing upgrades until very late in the game.
Which is probably the primary reason. For the past several years FTs have complained more and more about upgrades clearing later. Whether its fact or fiction is up to debate.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Quote:

Originally Posted by sukn

Which is probably the primary reason. For the past several years FTs have complained more and more about upgrades clearing later. Whether its fact or fiction is up to debate.
No neither is the case here. You don't have F7 to T7 on an oversold flight (at least 7 saver awards) plus you don't have the lowest fare classes available. I'm familiar with the general trend of complaints, but this feels different. I've never seen f7 and not clearing. Like everything else in the last 10 days it cleared at t-4 but on the outbound, 6 of us cleared at the gate which is really strange.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I was on an A321T with J10 and I didn't clear until T-5.... usually I clear a few days out if it's J10. C inventory was 7 out a few days prior to departure but I didn't want to spend a SWU on what I knew would clear... But yes the trend seems to be later and later.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thenecropolist
I was on an A321T with J10 and I didn't clear until T-5.... usually I clear a few days out if it's J10. C inventory was 7 out a few days prior to departure but I didn't want to spend a SWU on what I knew would clear... But yes the trend seems to be later and later.
J10?? Interesting...

Where can you see any inventory > 7 ???
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
321T is unique because there's real demand for last-minute premium cabin bookings.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was on 1441 jfk-las on Fri. 3/13, EF showed F7 for days before dep.; I cleared at T-4. On the return flt. 44 on 3/16, also F7, I cleared at T-100.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
321T is unique because there's real demand for last-minute premium cabin bookings.
This
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by B7e7US
J10?? Interesting...

Where can you see any inventory > 7 ???
Sorry I meant J7, but seat map only had 10 seats selected. Sorry, new to Expertflyer and I know that seat map is not an indication of inventory.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
T-100 seems a fond distant memory.

My major annoyance is missing the t-24 meal selection.

It used to be that I would see this for tight F cabins, or even when Y was getting oversold ...but it is clear that they are much more restrictive. Not absolute, as in 'there is a new blanket policy', but virtually never clear at 100.

Good news, if you are EXP or an F flyer and make last minute changes, there is a much higher likelihood of F seats will be there up to the end.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Some recent T-24, but most are even later. These are not flights with much paid F demand. Not sure what is going on, but it seems pretty ugly right now.

I also dislike most missing the meal ordering window.

Finally, getting a lot more 'guarantee the upgrade' sales message on the aa.com order screen which I have never seen prior to this year. So, clearly, a lot of tweaking going on behind the scenes.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.