Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just as a comparison, my two flights on US metal, purchased from US, cleared at the 100 hr mark. One with F empty and the other completely full, at the time of upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dlflyer2
Is this the new American?

It is my experience that upgrades are not clearing at the traditional windows even when flights are not full. Particular flights show availability in all classes, first class cabin 60-80% unassigned, but upgrades do not clear in advance. Eventually, the upgrades may clear but it is the last hours or at the gate.
I've noticed this as well. It seemed to have started during the snowstorms, and has snowballed (ha!) from there. Previously about 80% of my upgrade requests would clear during the traditional windows and 20% just before flight time; now it's reversed.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Wanted to start a discussion because that has been my experience. Seems like the process may be broken.

Watching a flight that shows F7 A7 P3 Y7 H7 B7 K7 M7 L7 W7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 with no weather, irrops, or oversold flights. It is > 4hours to departure and no upgrades.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: US Airways, Hilton, Marriott
I am an EXP Plat and I have a flight Monday that has full availability in F and still no upgrade or email. Thinking of calling to see what can be done.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
For me, some routes clear at T-100 hours, and some clear any time after ward.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:09 pm

I have a couple of flights over the weekend; F5 and no upgrades yet.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:30 pm

I am experiencing the same issues. However, AA has not issue any kind of communication, but it seems like everyone is on the same boat. I am also EP.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Is this the new American?

It is my experience that upgrades are not clearing at the traditional windows even when flights are not full. Particular flights show availability in all classes, first class cabin 60-80% unassigned, but upgrades do not clear in advance. Eventually, the upgrades may clear but it is the last hours or at the gate.

Even United seems to be doing a better job with the upgrade clearance at the traditional window for premium passengers.
Why does it matter when it clears? Your place in the queue remains the same (except if someone grabs an A space (miles or SWU) upgrade, but I think its fine if they do, and I like that they keep that option open).

It is nice to clear 24 hours before if it is a meal flight, but its hardly a disaster if it doesn't.

I like my upgrades, but I don't quite understand the sense of entitlement some folks have - you'll get it if the dice lands right and you won't if it doesn't.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
Same experience here but I agree with SeattleDavid. I fly out of DFW and all of last year I missed 3 upgrades all year. This year I've missed one. I rarely clear at 100 hours out and I'm lucky if it is at 24 hours out. It's more like 4-5 hours out or at the gate. Personally AA is running a business here and if I were in their shoes I would also try and sell a couple of extra F class seats rather than giving them up free. It usually doesn't work, but it's worth a try!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
No need to pontificate. It does matter. It matters for seat choice, meal choice and it is an integral part of the program.
It is becoming a pattern and it matters enough that I would choose UA over AA on the same route for the ability to upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
I'm sorry, but to me, if seat choice and meal choice are that important, you pay for it up front for that guarantee. Just like at a hotel, if there is a certain room I want, I pay for the upgrade so I can assure myself the room. I never count on a freebie the day of arrival. We're entitled to upgrades on a space available basis. The upgrade window opens at 100 hours, but doesn't mean upgrades must start to clear at that point. Nothing in the guide to benefits sets limits as to how many seats are available vs. when upgrades should clear. Certain routes have a lot of last minute, day of departure sales for F class seats, so if there are still 7 open seats, I don't blame AA for holding back complimentary upgrades. This is a business folks and if you're not happy with AA practice on this, UA, DL and others are waiting in the wings.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I don't think it's broken- just got a Y to J e500 321 upgrade for Saturday right at 72 hrs as a Platinum! But even when I was EXP last year the busy flights would get held until ~t-24 or later even with F1 or F2. They're just not releasing the X and R till later.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I don't think anything is "broken" per se, but I do agree that AA 500 mile/EXP complimentary upgrades are clearing later than they did a few years ago. Most of my upgrades now seem to clear either at T-4.5h (just prior to everything going to the airport list) or at the gate. The only upgrades that seem to clear at T-100 are completely wide-open, non-elite heavy flights at non-peak times -- think MCO-MIA on a Saturday evening.

OTOH, I have an upcoming US metal flight that I booked directly through US as an AA EXP, and both segments (SAN-PHX and PHX-STL) cleared almost 5 days out (prior to T-100).

I suspect that when the airlines are fully merged, AA's seemingly more complex system of revenue management will prevail, and we'll continue to wait until the last minute for upgrades. The positives of that system are that there are last-minute revenue seats available and greater upgrade chances for high-level elites or those in paid premium cabins in the case of IRROPS, but I do miss the days when most of my upgrades seemed to clear closer to the beginning of the upgrade window. It was nice not having to sweat out the upgrade lottery, wondering whether I should burn a SWU (or miles/copay) or risk ending up in the back of the bus.

Overall, I suppose I can't complain, though -- still batting 1.000 on complimentary upgrades in 2015.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
It would have been nice as a new AA Plat to have cleared prior to my one flight on a multi-destination trip where I was going on the road for 12 days and my bag was 48 lbs when I left home and then got company stuff at a meeting and then flew to my other destination and it was 52 lbs and got charged $100 for an overweight fee. I cleared F at the gate and now I'm out $100. I can see where it would be beneficial for some if the upgrades cleared prior to arriving to the airport.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
... I would choose UA over AA on the same route for the ability to upgrade.
Good luck! Let us know how you make out under TOD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.