Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
I've never seen f7 and not clearing. Like everything else in the last 10 days it cleared at t-4 but on the outbound, 6 of us cleared at the gate which is really strange.
I've seen F7 at T-4 a lot in the last year. SFO-DFW, SFO-ORD, etc. It happens.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:39 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thenecropolist
Sorry I meant J7, but seat map only had 10 seats selected. Sorry, new to Expertflyer and I know that seat map is not an indication of inventory.
I was getting all excited!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
I have a theory that the late clearing of domestic upgrades (X) maybe being driven by the late clearing of international SWU and miles+copay upgrades (C). Typically, if someone applies for an SWU on a leg that includes both international and domestic segments, clearing of both is held off until the international portion is available, even though the domestic segment could often clear immediately or at least earlier.

Previously, you could waitlist for both X (sticker) and A (SWU) on domestic flights, so it was a non-problem, but they removed that ability a while back. Therefore, I have a suspicion that they might hold off on releasing X until anyone waiting in the wings for A has cleared.

Make sense?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
IME, I am getting upgrades at T-100 for flights with little F demand and/or low issues on service disruption/pax switching flights.

For example, last week my LIT-ORD cleared at T-100 but my ORD-LGA which was F7 cleared same day. I did a SDFC on ORD-LGA as I arrived early and that cleared at the gate (flight was F7 and I switched 30 minutes before scheduled departure/50 minutes before actual).

The above pattern has been pretty consistent this year.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Previously, you could waitlist for both X (sticker) and A (SWU) on domestic flights, so it was a non-problem, but they removed that ability a while back. Therefore, I have a suspicion that they might hold off on releasing X until anyone waiting in the wings for A has cleared.
Has this changed recently? I did this just last January.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
For a 3/17 PHX/DFW segment, I got upgraded on 3/13. For 3/5 PHX/DFW segment, I got upgraded on 3/1. So there's definitely still a window. Just doesn't mean you'll get it that early all the time.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Based upon antidotal evidence from FTs the window has been getting closer and closer over the past few years. As an EXP last year out of MIA many of upgrades, if all, were at the gate. So far as a PLT I'm actually 100% for sticker and copay with the former clearing from T72 to T4.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Djokison
Has this changed recently? I did this just last January.
About two and a half years ago by the looks of it. This thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ests-cant.html discusses and post #13 there appears to give a definitive answer from someone who typically post correct and relevant information.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've had about 80% of my upgrades within the last month happening at T-4hrs. The other 20% clear at the EXP window...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:28 pm

Flying ORD - BOS midday tomorrow, upgrade still "requested."

The return on Friday mid-afternoon cleared at T-100.

Flying a same day turn ORD - LGA on Sunday. Leaving early Sunday, upgrade still "requested."

Return from LGA cleared at T-100.

Interesting to note, the two flights that haven't cleared show F7 A6 (ORD-BOS) and F7 A7 (ORD-LGA) and they're both meal flights! (I know it doesn't matter as the catering sucks and I barely touch it now but I find it funny)
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by JMN57
IME, I am getting upgrades at T-100 for flights with little F demand and/or low issues on service disruption/pax switching flights.

For example, last week my LIT-ORD cleared at T-100 but my ORD-LGA which was F7 cleared same day. I did a SDFC on ORD-LGA as I arrived early and that cleared at the gate (flight was F7 and I switched 30 minutes before scheduled departure/50 minutes before actual).

The above pattern has been pretty consistent this year.
In general I am seeing this as well. Flights which have a higher potential F demand seem to be clearing later even if they have very low load factor.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Another data point as a PLT:

MIA-BWI on Monday afternoon, 3/16 sticker UG cleared at T-12.

BWI-MIA on Saturday afternoon 3/21 just cleared at T-55.

The legs are part of MDE-MIA-BWI-MIA-MDE.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I get that it is inconvenient both in terms of meals and planning for upgraders, but as someone who has had frequent cancellations due to weather or otherwise (and I pay for F), the holding back of upgrades has been a blessing.

This issue was one of my main concerns in the US/AA merger as US is/was well known for not holding back F seats for irrops or last minute bookings.

As a recent example, I was flying BOS-JFK-SFO last week. My BOS-JFK flight cancelled, so I had to reroute. In the past, I would have looked at the cabins and not had any potential solutions to get me to my destination other than in a middle seat. Instead, I had quite a few options in F that also allowed me to arrive on time. The fact that I had to trade riding in a premium cabin on a 321T versus standard domestic F is likely a high-class problem.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:08 am

Update to my situation posted a little bit upthread.

Got the e-mails while I was sleeping...

ORD - BOS cleared about T-4.5 this morning.
ORD - LGA Sunday morning cleared about T-76.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Upgrade premium windows gone?

Is this the new American?

It is my experience that upgrades are not clearing at the traditional windows even when flights are not full. Particular flights show availability in all classes, first class cabin 60-80% unassigned, but upgrades do not clear in advance. Eventually, the upgrades may clear but it is the last hours or at the gate.

Even United seems to be doing a better job with the upgrade clearance at the traditional window for premium passengers.

Last edited by dlflyer2; Apr 15, 2015 at 10:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.