Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Layover time at MIA for Caribbean island hopping?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Layover time at MIA for Caribbean island hopping?

Hi

I want to go from Cayman to Antigua by redeeming AA miles. I will have to make connection at MIA. I wonder how long the layover would I need? would I still need to go through immigration (I am US Citizen) and custom even I just make a connection at MIA?

Also why the tax and fee is so high for returning to US from Caribbean?

thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can see AA's schedules from GCM to ANU at aa.com.

Many Caribbean nations have high airport taxes as tourism is their primary source of revenue.

All persons arriving the U.S. from another country must clear U.S. immigration and customs, even if merely connecting to a second foreign country.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Depending on the date the GCM to ANU path of travel is fraught problems with arrival in GCM after the flight to ANU is long gone so it might be an overnight. Good news with MIA is that allows for the daunting MIA connection time.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbbi
Hi

I want to go from Cayman to Antigua by redeeming AA miles. I will have to make connection at MIA. I wonder how long the layover would I need? would I still need to go through immigration (I am US Citizen) and custom even I just make a connection at MIA?

Also why the tax and fee is so high for returning to US from Caribbean?

thanks!
My question out of the gate is why? As you've no doubt realized, this is going to be a considerable hassle. If this is a vacation trip, I think I'd stick with just one of these islands.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with VickiSoCal. We did similar once, combining Nevis and Antigua, figuring we had 12 days and it was so far to go we might as well do 2 islands. Wasn't worth it to spend an entire day traveling between hotels and planes.

Not to mention that, in this case, I'm pretty sure there's only a single morning flight from Miami to Antigua, so you'd have to spend the night in Miami anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.