Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
(LAA) 777-300ER / "77W" Experiences & Questions AA 137 / AA 138 DFW-HKG-DFW
NOTE: Changing to AA 125 and 126 Nov 2016

(with thanks to Dr. HFH for starting this thread)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There's a thread for upgrade experiences on these flights, but none for experiences actually taking these flights, so I thought that I'd start one. These are arguably AA's premier flights right now, -- longest route, new aircraft, etc. So share your onboard experiences here, good, bad and otherwise!!
Discussion about the DFW-HKG route is here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]
Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT Globalist, Marriott GLD, Car National Exe
MCE vs. Y

I have a question and wondering if anyone could give me some advises regarding to the seat selection for the AA #137 (DFW – HKG). I am currently AA Plat, I selected an MCE seat for the outbound when I booked the ticket. I checked the seatmap this morning, look like all the MCE is full. Now, I am contemplating whether to pick the seat in the last few rows in Y, and hoping the seat next to me is empty; so I can get a better rest on a 16hrs flight. What is the chance that I would get the empty seat? Or any advice if I should keep my MCE?. Currently, the open seats are: 43 (A,C), 43 (E,G,H), and 42 (J,L). My Flight is Thursday before Labor Day. Thank you very much for your help.

Q
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by quanh79
I have a question and wondering if anyone could give me some advises regarding to the seat selection for the AA #137 (DFW – HKG). I am currently AA Plat, I selected an MCE seat for the outbound when I booked the ticket. I checked the seatmap this morning, look like all the MCE is full. Now, I am contemplating whether to pick the seat in the last few rows in Y, and hoping the seat next to me is empty; so I can get a better rest on a 16hrs flight. What is the chance that I would get the empty seat? Or any advice if I should keep my MCE?. Currently, the open seats are: 43 (A,C), 43 (E,G,H), and 42 (J,L). My Flight is Thursday before Labor Day. Thank you very much for your help.

Q
I would go to ExpertFlyer and set a Seat Alert for for every seat in the MCE cabin. There will be some seats in MCE that open up when upgrades start clearing (if they do). Then you can jump on one.

I wouldn't want to do 137 in any Main Cabin seat on the 77W. But if I had to, it would for sure be an aisle.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
I would go to ExpertFlyer and set a Seat Alert for for every seat in the MCE cabin. There will be some seats in MCE that open up when upgrades start clearing (if they do). Then you can jump on one.

I wouldn't want to do 137 in any Main Cabin seat on the 77W. But if I had to, it would for sure be an aisle.
Thanks econometrics!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by quanh79
Thanks econometrics!
^

26/52 J seats still open on the seat map right now on Sept 3. Some may be sold, just not assigned yet. Regardless, that's a lot of seats, and you'll definitely have some MCE seats open up. Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by econometrics
^

26/52 J seats still open on the seat map right now on Sept 3. Some may be sold, just not assigned yet. Regardless, that's a lot of seats, and you'll definitely have some MCE seats open up. Good luck!
He already has a good MCE seat (I assume an aisle one), he wants to know if a Y seat with an empty one next to it would be even better. I would say it is doubtful and also very risky. The only time I might risk such an approach is if there are at least 7-8 empty Y middle rows the day before/of the flight, and try to go for an empty row to myself, in a very low season TATL route. However, if this doesn't work you have so much to lose with a 17 hour flight that I would personally stick to the MCE seat.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
He already has a good MCE seat (I assume an aisle one), he wants to know if a Y seat with an empty one next to it would be even better. I would say it is doubtful and also very risky. The only time I might risk such an approach is if there are at least 7-8 empty Y middle rows the day before/of the flight, and try to go for an empty row to myself, in a very low season TATL route. However, if this doesn't work you have so much to lose with a 17 hour flight that I would personally stick to the MCE seat.
^
Thanks nk15!

My current seat is 18J. I will stick with it till the t-24 and see if more MCE available.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Any suggestions on which side to sit on for DFW-HKG in late February to avoid the sun for the most part? Thought I saw a post in here recommending the left/A side, which now I can't find, but the majority of the flight it seems like the sun will be streaming in from the left.

I'd guess on HKG-DFW the left/A side is the preferred choice.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AA since 07/03/1985
I have this flight,137 on Sunday the 30th. Seat 1A, I'm pumped about the flight. I'll be in HK until the 18th. So I will to watch the Cowboys play at McSorley's, hopefully.
I will report on the trip when I return, or possibly inflight if the WiFi permits.
I'll be in the AC dallas preflight if anyone wants to chat.

I'm in 1A for this flight. Question about the PJ's. DO people wear these things around the plane during the flight? sound a bit silly.. Seems like an endless line to the restroom for changing, what to do with street clothes etc.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 27, 2015 at 8:00 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability; removed off-topic image
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Just a data point. Non status solo traveler flying DFW-HKG today.

Used VIP from a CK, and was waitlisted until check-in, when upgrade was processed.

He is one happy camper.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
137 Is A Mess Today

So, started out with some sort of maintenance delay. No big deal who wants to fly a broke plane...not me. They then switched aircraft and had to work on something else. Then the FA's went illegal and the pilot and the pilot announced that they had a crew ready and no further delay than the then 4PM posted departure time. Well, as soon as he got off the intercom at the gate and walk behind the door the time changed to 6.30PM departure. The people that scored today were the ones that got a $1000 voucher for taking another flight as we apparently had a weight restriction issue and they needed like 25 people to get bumped.

So, I will probably be staying the night in HKG. Does anyone have experience with what hotel they normally stick people at when they get overnighted due to such issues?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
So, started out with some sort of maintenance delay. No big deal who wants to fly a broke plane...not me. They then switched aircraft and had to work on something else. Then the FA's went illegal and the pilot and the pilot announced that they had a crew ready and no further delay than the then 4PM posted departure time. Well, as soon as he got off the intercom at the gate and walk behind the door the time changed to 6.30PM departure. The people that scored today were the ones that got a $1000 voucher for taking another flight as we apparently had a weight restriction issue and they needed like 25 people to get bumped.

So, I will probably be staying the night in HKG. Does anyone have experience with what hotel they normally stick people at when they get overnighted due to such issues?

I personally love the Regal Airport Hotel. It is the only hotel that has a direct connection (bridge) to the airport, so you can walk easily to/from the transportation options to visit the city, as well as walk over at any hour, 24 hours a day, and use the airport WiFi and restaurants.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir

I pulled the rip cord at the first whiff of problems. I was in no mood to stick around for the 137 drama as I knew the crew were on a tight window and would probably go illegal at some point.

The agents in the club were great and re-booked me on to the NRT flight that left at 1:30pm. I am in the JAL First Class Lounge now waiting on my connection to KUL.

Enjoy your overnight in HKG.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
I pulled the rip cord at the first whiff of problems. I was in no mood to stick around for the 137 drama as I knew the crew were on a tight window and would probably go illegal at some point.

The agents in the club were great and re-booked me on to the NRT flight that left at 1:30pm. I am in the JAL First Class Lounge now waiting on my connection to KUL.

Enjoy your overnight in HKG.
Well, I thought of that to be honest but I don't know that I would want that long fight in Y on JAL to KUL. I am actually going to KUL myself but will be arriving about noon instead of midnight.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I personally love the Regal Airport Hotel. It is the only hotel that has a direct connection (bridge) to the airport, so you can walk easily to/from the transportation options to visit the city, as well as walk over at any hour, 24 hours a day, and use the airport WiFi and restaurants.
Normally I would not like that property if I was purchasing as it is usually very expensive and I prefer to be in the city but arriving at 1AM and next flight at 8.40AM....that would be perfect. Lets hope that is what it is. I will report back to folks what hotel and how the arrival at HKG works out. I am sure the folks at HKG will be prepared, they are usually really good.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Well, I thought of that to be honest but I don't know that I would want that long fight in Y on JAL to KUL. I am actually going to KUL myself but will be arriving about noon instead of midnight.
I was on MH from NRT to KUL. It was not bad at all. I had a ghetto lay flat bed and sleep most of the way to KUL. At KUL now waiting for yet another connection to my final destination. I opted for the NRT routing as I did not want to miss this next connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.