Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary changed by AA:

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
Itinerary changed by AA:

Hi, I just got an email from AA stating that my itinerary has changed. I booked a YYZ-DFW-HKG-DFW-ORD-YYZ. The return from HKG-DFW-ORD-YYZ was all supposed to happen in one day, but now they are saying that the ORD-YYZ will be the next morning, meaning I am stuck in ORD overnight. Am I able to get compensation for this, such as a hotel stay?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:58 pm

Here's what you do before giving them a call:

Go online on aa.com, and search for brand new flights that you are happy with, as long as they have the same starting (YYZ) and stopping (HKG) airports on your original dates. You actually might be able to find routes with just one stop instead of two (DFW/ORD).

Once you have new flights figured out, give AA a call and ask to be put on those since they changed your flights. If they refuse, then ask for overnight hotel.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this a cash or award ticket?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
No, AA won't pay for a hotel stay enroute.

As said above, go to AA.com and look for other flights that would suit your needs, and then call and ask to be placed on those flights. Note: if you find routings that include a CX or JL flight, AA might be willing to place you on those flights instead of their own metal (but aren't required to).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This thread will likely get better feedback here in the dedicated American Airlines forum since the question is AA-specific.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TheSinister
The return from HKG-DFW-ORD-YYZ was all supposed to happen in one day
You probably got caught up in an automated rebooking process due to a flight number change or time change. I see same-day connections that work fine checking sample travel dates in Feb and Aug. Just call AA and tell them to rebook you same-day to match your original itinerary (providing there is inventory). If no inventory, you could refund the ticket if the overnight stay doesn't work for you. I also see some nonstop DFW-YYZ flights that would work.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:40 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is it possible to change to a CX codeshare? Do they look at the price difference to decide? Does one's status with AA matter?

I have the same schedule change and basically I want to change to YYZ-LAX-HKG-LAX-YYZ if at all possible (also depart from a night before) since they've put me both on a invalid connection on the outbound and a overnight on the inbound as below.

Schedule Change
SAT 25APR
AA 3079 YYZ 8:25 AM > ORD 9:16 AM invalid connection
AA 2337 ORD 8:25 AM > DFW 11:00 AM
AA 137 DFW 12:20 PM > HKG 6:00 PM +1

MON 27APR
AA 138 HKG 1:30 PM > DFW 3:55 PM
AA 2331 DFW 5:40 PM > ORD 8:06 PM
AA 3612 ORD 7:05 AM +1 > YYZ 9:42 AM +1 involuntary overnight connection at ORD

If not, should I wait until maybe a week away to call AA or call them asap? I was thinking if I call in later then I may have a better chance on getting a higher fare class (for EQP) if they'd only allow me to change to YYZ-DFW-HKG-DFW-YYZ

Last edited by jix; Feb 2, 2015 at 4:54 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by wrp96
No, AA won't pay for a hotel stay enroute.

Perhaps a tangent, an perhaps not applicable to OPs ticket...

from AAs condition of carriage. (international tariff, section 035):

0035 PASSENGER EXPENSES EN ROUTE

MEALS, HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS, GROUND TRANSPORTATION AND TRANSIT TAXES
Applicable to AA transatlantic/transpacific service for passengers who have purchased First Class, Business Class or full Economy Class tickets. Hotel expenses, charges for ground transportation service (except as provided in Rule 30), meals other than those served aloft, airport service charges and transit taxes are not included in passenger fares:
AA will bear layover expenses when its services are used for intercontinental transportation, when the passenger is connecting to/from other international services and same-day connecting services involving AA are not scheduled or available. AA will only participate in proration of expenses when services are provided at airports designated by AA and at specifically designated hotels (including when AA is the receiving carrier). Hotel accommodations will only be provided when connecting time exceeds six hours and when arranged in advance of arrival at the transfer point.
What does this mean? Note that biz and first do not have any fare distinctions other than just 'purchased'....

OP- Agree with above advice. AA should be able to put you on flights that might not otherwise have the proper inventory had your request been YOUR idea.

Know what you want before you call.

Also, this is important- if you cannot get what you want DO NOT SETTLE, say 'OK, leave it as is I need to ..blah, blah". Then try again. I believe you get one rebooking per change, you dont want to say "yeah I guess so" and then come back here and find they could have done better.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Feb 2, 2015 at 10:06 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jix
Schedule Change
SAT 25APR
AA 3079 YYZ 8:25 AM > ORD 9:16 AM invalid connection
AA 2337 ORD 8:25 AM > DFW 11:00 AM
AA 137 DFW 12:20 PM > HKG 6:00 PM +1
AA can still get you to HKG, so I don't see them booking you on partners. Sometimes the rerouting computers don't accommodate passengers appropriately when there are other options.

AA 1259 0 YYZ
04/25/15 7:59 DFW
04/25/15 10:29 319

AA 137 0 DFW
04/25/15 12:20 HKG
04/26/15 18:00 77W

MON 27APR
AA 138 HKG 1:30 PM > DFW 3:55 PM
AA 2331 DFW 5:40 PM > ORD 8:06 PM
AA 3612 ORD 7:05 AM +1 > YYZ 9:42 AM +1[B] involuntary overnight connection at ORD
AA 2308 0 DFW
04/27/15 20:05 YYZ
04/28/15 0:10 319
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: OW Emerald
What's the relationship between TheSinister and jix? They are both writing about this in the first person.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:59 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by tom911
AA can still get you to HKG, so I don't see them booking you on partners. Sometimes the rerouting computers don't accommodate passengers appropriately when there are other options.
Yeah I figured as much, was hoping for a better timing and routing via CX codeshare but oh well. I know I can get the YYZ-DFW-HKG and back easily if I call.

So, question, if I wait longer until all the cheaper fare class are sold on the route, does it mean I'll likely get reticketed into B fare (I had Q fare booked) and hence a higher chance of upgrade into the next cabin? I should have PLT status by the time I take the flight.

What's the relationship between TheSinister and jix? They are both writing about this in the first person.
I just have a similar question and wanted some feedback.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, Hilton Honors
In my experience, if AA changes the itinerary, then if you call them and give them something you prefer, they change it to what you ask - assuming there is inventory. So, it might be advisable to do it faster than later.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jprajesh
In my experience, if AA changes the itinerary, then if you call them and give them something you prefer, they change it to what you ask - assuming there is inventory. So, it might be advisable to do it faster than later.
And by inventory, it doesn't mean fare bucket... just as long as the cabin is available (and even then, sometimes you can push them...)
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by jix
basically I want to change to YYZ-LAX-HKG-LAX-HKG if at all possible
They are highly unlikely to change the routing to this.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Something similar just happened to me today. I landed in ORD (luckily as the weather in NYC was awful today) to find my return flight ORD-LGA Wed night was cancelled and I was rebooked for Thursday AM at 6am. I thought it was strange to cxl a flight that far in advance even if there will be weather. Called EXP line and the agent was showing my original ORD-LGA Wed evening was still operating and she had no idea why I was booted off that flight even after putting me on hold a few times. She got me back on that Wed evening flight with my UPG too. very strange!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.