Search

View Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
View Upgrades Availability

Hi all... I'm looking to book my wife and myself on a flight LAX-MIA with the end destination being EYW in March. With my work schedule my options are somewhat limited. I prefer to have a direct flight from LAX-MIA and vice versa but I am not having much luck finding any sAAver availability. Is there any sites/ways to view which flights are upgradeable from a revenue ticket via miles? Or do I just need to come up with a list of flights and call the AA desk to ask?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dad to GO; Jan 29, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Expertflyer.com will show you this information. Its a subscription service - but has a free trial period (5 days I think). If it is a two class of service plane, you'll need to find "A" availability and for a three class plane, you'll be looking for "C" availability.

Also, when you upgrade on AA you will do so with "miles" not points.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:46 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Expertflyer.com will show you this information. Its a subscription service - but has a free trial period (5 days I think). If it is a two class of service plane, you'll need to find "A" availability and for a three class plane, you'll be looking for "C" availability.

Thanks for the info... and DUH I'll correct my post.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
ExpertFlyer is well worth the monthly fee. You can see exactly the fare buckets available on a given flight. Once you know a given flight has the upgrades you want, buy a Coach ticket, put it on "hold", then phone immediately to get the upgrade and purchase the ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
ExpertFlyer is well worth the monthly fee. You can see exactly the fare buckets available on a given flight. Once you know a given flight has the upgrades you want, buy a Coach ticket, put it on "hold", then phone immediately to get the upgrade and purchase the ticket.
And just to clarify, the purpose of this is to guarantee that you will have an upgraded ticket at purchase (yes, tickets on hold can be upgraded into C no problem, and this way, there is no chance that someone will take that C inventory in between your purchasing the ticket, the ticket actually ticketing, then you calling in to apply the upgrade and have your ticket reissued).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec

"miles" + co-pay.

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:24 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

View Upgrades

When I'm using expert flyer. And I see a 777 with availability in (A) but not in (C) am I able to upgrade from a coach seat with mikes or does there need to be (C) availability since its 3 classes.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
When I'm using expert flyer. And I see a 777 with availability in (A) but not in (C) am I able to upgrade from a coach seat with mikes or does there need to be (C) availability since its 3 classes.
For three class aircraft, "A" inventory is for business>first upgrades. You cannot double upgrade. You need C to upgrade from coach to business.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
No - you need C inventory for a Y->J upgrade and A for J->F. These days, it is quite normal for A class to be available well in advance, but for C to not be released until a few days before the flight.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:13 pm

Is my understanding correct that AA"s website won't show you "A" availability which is why you need to use a service like Expert Flyer?

Also, for DCA-DFW-HNL, is the DFW-HNL segment a two-class aircraft so I would need to look for availability in "A" to upgrade from lowest fare economy to First using 15,000 miles plus co-pay each way? And if DCA-DFW uses three classes then there needs to be C availability?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by prkzoom
Is my understanding correct that AA"s website won't show you "A" availability which is why you need to use a service like Expert Flyer?
You can often see A availability when you search by price and look under the First (Flexible) column. But it's so much easier to use EF.

Also, for DCA-DFW-HNL, is the DFW-HNL segment a two-class aircraft so I would need to look for availability in "A" to upgrade from lowest fare economy to First using 15,000 miles plus co-pay each way?
Yes.

And if DCA-DFW uses three classes then there needs to be C availability?
Theoretically correct, although I'm not aware of any 3-class (or any class) 777 flights into or out of DCA.

Thanks.
You're welcome!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
You can often see A availability when you search by price and look under the First (Flexible) column. But it's so much easier to use EF.
I just did a test booking DFW-HNL as a First Flexible ticket and the booking code showed as "P". Yes, I agree using Expert Flyer will be easier to find "A" seats.

Thanks for your response!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When i do a revenue booking and am signed in, all the flight options displayed will also have a small notation "Upgrade Available" under each flight with upgrade space at the time of booking. Not sure if this is just because I'm an ExecPlat, but this should show for anyone since miles could be applied by a non-ExecPlat instead of SWUs.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
When i do a revenue booking and am signed in, all the flight options displayed will also have a small notation "Upgrade Available" under each flight with upgrade space at the time of booking. Not sure if this is just because I'm an ExecPlat, but this should show for anyone since miles could be applied by a non-ExecPlat instead of SWUs.
Only for EXPs, and only for SWU upgrades. Also largely useless because it doesn't differentiate between Y>J and J<F availability.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Only for EXPs, and only for SWU upgrades. Also largely useless because it doesn't differentiate between Y>J and J<F availability.
It did not when introduced but now it does.
Annoyingly, it does not display upgrade options if you ran out of SWU. I considered changing flights to get a better schedule (or switch from 772 to 77W) but could not see availability on AA. EF was essential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.