Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can tennis racquets / rackets be carried on?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, onePass
Can tennis racquets / rackets be carried on?

Sorry....most of what I found were older posts. We are traveling to Aruba and my husband wants to take our racquets. Will we be able to carry these on? We do not have traveling cases for these to be checked.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-inform...p?locale=en_HK

Originally Posted by AA
Tennis equipment

Tennis rackets and tennis balls.

You may carry your tennis equipment onboard if it fits with the carry-on size / weight requirement.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nalismom
Sorry....most of what I found were older posts.
To state the obvious, the official information is on www.aa.com and not on FT posts.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On the other hand, we recently had a thread in which a member was 1) allowed to carry his racket(s) on board, and was then told there was no room in the overhead bins for them.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Respectfully Dave and Hillrider.... There are different pages for baggage which are accessed with different information......the page that Dave references seems to be a OneWorld page which clearly states tennis equipment can be carried onboard.

However the www.aa.com site accessed by myself residing in the US brings up a totally different page which looks like this:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...eAllowance.jsp

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ce.jsp#!sports

In the case where there would be no overhead space for them what can we expect at that point? We are traveling First/Business.

Last edited by nalismom; Jan 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:00 pm

Respectfully Dave and Hillrider.... There are different pages for baggage which are accessed with different information......the page that Dave references seems to be a OneWorld page which clearly states tennis equipment can be carried onboard.
With respect , the page I listed is on aa.com (the clue is in the URL) and the page states

Originally Posted by AA.com
Sport items accepted for travel on American Airlines

If you're traveling on other airlines, you must contact each airline in your itinerary to check their policy and transportation charges. Find out information for travel on other oneworld partners

If you're traveling on an American Airlines operated flight the following sports items are accepted for travel
Tennis equipment

Tennis rackets and tennis balls.

You may carry your tennis equipment onboard if it fits with the carry-on size / weight requirement.
The page http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ce.jsp#!sports indicates how AA will charge for them if checked in

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...eAllowance.jsp indicates the general allowances for checked luggage
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Well Dave something must be wrong with the page I pull up because when I go to aa.com then to drop down menu under 'Travel Information' and click on 'Baggage' it does not take me to a page that looks like the one in your link nor does it give me the information for carryon sports equipment - it brings up the information as shown in my referenced link.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:24 pm

Well Dave something must be wrong with the page I pull up because when I go to aa.com then to drop down menu under 'Travel Information' and click on 'Baggage' it does not take me to a page that looks like the one in your link nor does it give me the information for carryon sports equipment - it brings up the information as shown in my referenced link.
Did you try the link I provided. It is not from AA's USA site , but has AA's carry on policies
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes Dave I did and assumed it must not be the USA site. I thank you for that but it is confusing as to why AA would not have the same information on the U.S. accessed site.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:46 pm

Yes Dave I did and assumed it must not be the USA site. I thank you for that but it is confusing as to why AA would not have the same information on the U.S. accessed site.
Ahhh, a good question - but I would have no concerns relying on AA's China Hong Kong Special administrative region site
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
On the other hand, we recently had a thread in which a member was 1) allowed to carry his racket(s) on board, and was then told there was no room in the overhead bins for them.
Were they carrying on the tennis stuff and another carryon bag?
My take on them saying it is OK if it fits in the overhead means that would be the only item you are putting there.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mvoight
Were they carrying on the tennis stuff and another carryon bag?
My take on them saying it is OK if it fits in the overhead means that would be the only item you are putting there.
Iirc, the member was boarding last and he was told the bins were full.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JDiver
Iirc, the member was boarding last and he was told the bins were full.
Iirc the guy was competing and couldn't check them... He was waiting for an upgrade, but didn't get one. When he finally boarded there was no room.

IMO this just happened to be a carryon of a tennis racket, NOT a specific issue with carrying on tennis racquets...

He refused to fly and took a later flight. FA or GA being a dragon IMO
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Iirc the guy was competing and couldn't check them... He was waiting for an upgrade, but didn't get one. When he finally boarded there was no room.

IMO this just happened to be a carryon of a tennis racket, NOT a specific issue with carrying on tennis racquets...

He refused to fly and took a later flight. FA or GA being a dragon IMO
So he boarded late in the process and the overhead locker was full ; how is it the agent or attendant's fault if he was not prepared to check it in at that point

If fitting it in the overhead space is critical, then should take advantage of being able to board as one of the 1st passenger rather than wait n see if might get an upgrade
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If fitting it in the overhead space is critical, then should take advantage of being able to board as one of the 1st passenger rather than wait n see if might get an upgrade
Exactly right, and for the OP, this is your answer, board early, don't hang around for any reason.

There isn't a problem carrying on your rackets, but they are not in addition to your normal carry-on allowance, they and anything else you carry with you must be within your allowance. Like anything you carry on, they have to fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

Similarly, just like anything else you carry on, if you cannot put it in one of those places it will be checked into the hold for you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.