Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is Citi going to send IRS 1099 for points/miles earning for CC bonuses / spend?

Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

I am part of an small invitation only discussion group between Citi and AA where they ask questions and send out surveys to users - some sort of on the ground market research. I recently received a survey about 1099's which, frankly, scared the hell out of me. They asked only a few questions after asking us to pick which cards we had:

Have any of your miles credit cards sent you a 1099 tax notice for miles that were rewarded to you? Select all that apply.

Have any of your points credit cards sent you a 1099 tax notice for points that were rewarded to you? Select all that apply.

We’re all set! We told you this one would be quick!! Is there anything else you’d like to tell us at this time?
I obviously answered no to all of that and voiced my concerns strongly against that in the comments. Has anyone else heard of something like this? I think we may need to preemptively stop something like this happening as best we can.

Edit - we know this already happens for bank account bonus points but these questions were about points from credit card spend and signup bonuses.

Last edited by drdavidge; Jan 24, 2015 at 11:14 am
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:46 am

I just hand these to my accountant. Taxes are a fact of life. I'd rather pay more taxes and have a lot more income that vice versa.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by drdavidge
I am part of an small invitation only discussion group between Citi and AA where they ask questions and send out surveys to users - some sort of on the ground market research. I recently received a survey about 1099's which, frankly, scared the hell out of me. They asked only a few questions after asking us to pick which cards we had:

I obviously answered no to all of that and voiced my concerns strongly against that in the comments. Has anyone else heard of something like this? I think we may need to preemptively stop something like this happening as best we can.
Citibank is already doing this in some cases. Read this tax case that the IRS won in 2014 and you will understand more:

https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHisto...ern.TC.WPD.pdf
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:05 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Here is a link to an article about this decision:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...d-by-citibank/

My reading of this is that when Citi decided to send 1099s for "Thank you points" they basically made the decision that this was income. The failure to report the income from a 1099 is what most likely caused this issue.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 am
Original Poster

This is different - we knew Citi sends them for bank accounts, but these questions were targeted to credit card signup bonus and spend - something they don't send 1099s for now.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:21 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by drdavidge
This is different - we knew Citi sends them for bank accounts, but these questions were targeted to credit card signup bonus and spend - something they don't send 1099s for now.
The case was about their 2009 tax return. They did receive a 1099 and if you read the case Citi didn't help the tax payer in the least bit.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by abk
Here is a link to an article about this decision:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...d-by-citibank/

My reading of this is that when Citi decided to send 1099s for "Thank you points" they basically made the decision that this was income. The failure to report the income from a 1099 is what most likely caused this issue.
Sure but they can "basically make the decision" that card points should be income as well and the IRS is likely to back them. A grey area thus becomes rather black and white. There are many voices that are pushing for that (for good reasons) and others that are pushing against it (for good reasons).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:29 am
abk

The first card issuer to make this decision without being forced to by the IRS will see it's card business go down the sewer if everyone doesn't follow suit.
Not sure why Citi would want to do this on their own motion. This is one of the few perks shared by everyone and for a card issuer to make the decision on their own would be condemned by everyone with a frequent flyer/hotel/ or other loyalty program.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by abk
The first card issuer to make this decision without being forced to by the IRS will see it's card business go down the sewer if everyone doesn't follow suit.

Exactly, which is why there are voices against it. If you alter incentives then you may see a dramatic change in consumer interest. So some voices might suggest "Let's test this in the banking sector first where the customer base is stickier and the regulatory oversight is greater."

Not sure why Citi would want to do this on their own motion.

I guess you have never met a C-level corporate attorney.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:07 pm
abk

Sadly, having once practiced law, I have met my share of C level attorneys but I have a hard time seeing this as a by product of someone down the food chain making this type of decision on their own.

I spent a few minutes digging into this on the internet and this apparently started on a travel blog (View from the Wing) where they were discussing a change to the accounting procedures for recognizing income at the card issuer level. The part about taxing the individual appears to me to be speculation as to what might happen down the road if they do that by others.

Last edited by abk; Jan 24, 2015 at 12:16 pm Reason: added blog name
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last August's Tax Court case had nothing to do with airline miles earned from credit card issuers, either sign-up bonus miles or miles earned on monthly purchases. They were Citibank points awarded for a deposit account.

"Free" toasters handed out for opening a bank account have always been income, and the airline ticket in this case was no different.

Will Citi take the position that AAdvantage miles awarded by Citi on AA-branded credit cards are reportable income? Who knows?

One thing is certain: The Tax Court case linked above is irrelevant to the issue of credit card miles.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA

One thing is certain: The Tax Court case linked above is irrelevant to the issue of credit card miles.
For tax policy as of today you are correct. They are unconnected. As for corporate internal policy debate you are incorrect.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: AOPA
The thank you points on deposit accounts are considered interest earned.

So far the credit bonuses are considered rebates.

If 1099 becomes norm, I don't think the mileage programs will last too long because there will be a reduction in demand of miles from banks, and less income generated from selling miles by the airlines.

Pretty much bad for everyone.

Last edited by teddy25; Jan 24, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If Frequent Flyer schemes went back to their roots as schemes rewarding people for travel rather than frequent spending at supermarkets et al, I don't see that it would be bad for everybody
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If Frequent Flyer schemes went back to their roots as schemes rewarding people for travel rather than frequent spending at supermarkets et al, I don't see that it would be bad for everybody
Wouldn't that be something, eh?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.