FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   overhead bin luggage size (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/164590-overhead-bin-luggage-size.html)

richarddd Jan 1, 2004 7:22 am

overhead bin luggage size

What's the largest size (LxWxH) bag that will fit into all overhead bins?

My wife has an Atlantic brand carryon, supposedly meeting all airlines size rules, that has always fit in overhead bins. It would not fit in the bins over the center seats (C-G) of coach on a recent CDG-JFK flight. The bag fit fine in the bins over the windows (HJ).

[This message has been edited by richarddd (edited Jan 01, 2004).]

AAFA Jan 1, 2004 10:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richarddd:
What's the largest size (LxWxH) bag that will fit into all overhead bins?

My wife has an Atlantic brand carryon, supposedly meeting all airlines size rules, that has always fit in overhead bins. It would not fit in the bins over the center seats (C-G) of coach on a recent CDG-JFK flight. The bag fit fine in the bins over the windows (HJ).

[This message has been edited by richarddd (edited Jan 01, 2004).]
</font>

The biggest bag AA gives their flight attendants is 23" long (including the wheels),10" high (at overstuffed capacity, without unzipping the extra zipper that makes it even higher), and is 14 1/2" wide.

That is the maximum sized bag you can buy to make sure it fits top side on any plane that AA flies. The F-100 is a tight squeeze, but it makes it. Naturally, different planes can fit larger bags. This length is the longest bag that will fit wheels first into the new extended sized bins.

If you unzip that extra zipper to make it larger it will not fit on any of our airplanes, except possibly the middle bins on the Bus, and you will be forced to gate check it. That is, if you can get it through the security check point in the first place.

Hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by AAFA (edited Jan 01, 2004).]

richarddd Jan 1, 2004 11:12 am

The bag is listed at 9", but is actually about 10.5"-11", so maybe the extra inch or so made a difference. At least it fit in the side bins.

I just ordered a discontinued Tumi carry-on listed as 8", so maybe it's really under 10" :-)

Very helpful, thanks

elCheapoDeluxe Jan 1, 2004 11:47 am

I own a 21" bag that technically meets the requirements for a carry-on. Every time I look at it I wonder why someone would be allowed to try to cram this bag into a bin? What if the bins were full? This thing would NOT fit under the seat.

Trying to avoid checked luggage is a noble effort, to be sure. But I think that if you can't get it in a 17"-18" carryon, it should go under the plane.

[This message has been edited by elCheapoDeluxe (edited Jan 01, 2004).]

SAT Lawyer Mar 13, 2004 4:38 pm

My wife and I have traveling backpacks that measure 24" x 16" x 8.5". In the past, we have always checked them. However, on an upcoming trip to Europe, we would like to carry them on board and place them in the overhead bin, if at all possible. Will we be able to fit the two backpacks into the overhead bin of an MD-80 on the A/B side? I'm sure if they fit into an MD-80 bin, they will more comfotably fit into the larger 777 bin (again, A/B side).

And before anyone asks, (1) yes, I have checked AA's official carry-on allowance information, which advises a 45 linear inch maximum (ours is 48.5 linear inches), and (2) yes, I am somewhat sheepish about joining the ranks of those who bring larger bags aboard the plane as carry-ons.

[Edited to add the linear inch maximum. I guess we are theoretically over the limit by 3.5 linear inches. But what I want to know is that will our bags be too big for the overhead bins in practice?]

Finally, assuming our bags will fit in the overhead bins on our flights, is there any benefit to carrying them on as opposed to checking them -- aside from the obvious benefit of not risking AA losing them -- bearing in mind that we are making a LGW connection from AA to EZ? For example, will it allow us to remain airside?

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited Mar 13, 2004).]

paul5E Mar 13, 2004 9:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAFA:

If you unzip that extra zipper to make it larger it will not fit on any of our airplanes, except possibly the middle bins on the Bus, and you will be forced to gate check it. That is, if you can get it through the security check point in the first place.

Hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by AAFA (edited Jan 01, 2004).]
</font>
AAFA, Great advice it's really great to have you on the forum.

The only exception I can think of is the overhead bins on the 777. In J at least my expanding Travelpro PLT3 roll-aboard will easily fit expanded, if I happen to come back from Europe with a few extra goodies!

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by paul5E (edited Mar 13, 2004).]

saint Mar 13, 2004 9:37 pm

I also have the Platinum Travelpo 22' Rollaboard. It easily fits on any 777, 767 but sometimes on 757, Super 80's, etc. I've really had to cram it in there but it fit. It's the best suitcase I ever owned. I have the big 29' Travelpro Platinum edition check in suitcase too. A bit steep at almost $400 though. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

dancingbear Mar 13, 2004 9:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAFA:
[b]
The biggest bag AA gives their flight attendants is 23" long (including the wheels),10" high (at overstuffed capacity, without unzipping the extra zipper that makes it even higher), and is 14 1/2" wide.

That is the maximum sized bag you can buy to make sure it fits top side on any plane that AA flies. The F-100 is a tight squeeze, but it makes it. Naturally, different planes can fit larger bags. This length is the longest bag that will fit wheels first into the new extended sized bins.

[B]</font>
Those are definitely the magic dimensions.

I've got a bag that's almost exactly that size (10" deep, 14" wide, 23 1/4" long) and it's a *perfect* fit, wheels-first, into the extended MD80 (DEF-side) and 757 bins. It's a hair too long for the 737 bins, though, so it has to ride sideways on the 73 (as with the standard, non-extended MD80 bins).

This bag has lots of pockets so I have to watch what I pack.. I can usually get away with overstuffing it somewhat, but when I overdo it, I need a battering ram to get it into the MD80 or F100 bins!!

(If you've got a just-over-10"-deep bag and you find yourself boarding an old MD80 with the standard bins, be aware that the bin doors are badly designed - you probably won't have any trouble getting the bag in, but you'll have a devil of a time getting it out: the edge of the door, when fully open,
will catch the top part of your bag, preventing its removal. Close the bin-door halfway and you'll be able to finesse your bag out of the bin.)

Edited to concur with the original poster: I don't think this bag, even though it's withing the "magic dimensions" specified by AAFA, will fit in the bins over the center seats on a 767. I've always had to put it in a bin over a window seat. (It *looks* like it should fit, but somehow I don't think I've ever managed it.)

[This message has been edited by dancingbear (edited Mar 13, 2004).]

JDiver Mar 13, 2004 10:01 pm

Notice the B737-823 bins are just a tad short / access door to slanted to allow the Travelpro to fit in wheels first. What dunderheads did they hire at Boeing to design this??? (I surely hope the 7E7 will resolve some of these issues...)

studley Mar 14, 2004 8:27 am

That is the maximum sized bag you can buy to make sure it fits top side on any plane that AA flies.
</font>
I have this size bag, as TravelPro makes it, and I love that it fits wheels first (sometimes referred to as "vertical" by some of the FA's on my flights) in the aircraft with the updated bins. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif It fits everything AA flies, as AAFA stated. (Edited to add more information.)

That is, it fits everything I've flown to date except the ex-TWA MD-80's. I had to gate-check it for the flight I was on a few weeks ago.

It also doesn't fit any of the Eagle RJ's, or in the sizing apparatus at the gate (but that template needs to be changed, since IMO, they're using older dimensions for it).

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.

[This message has been edited by studley (edited Mar 14, 2004).]

ben1979 Apr 4, 2004 11:04 pm

i'm interested in getting the victorinox medium mobilizer carryon with the dimention 22"x14"x10", which makes the total dimension 46"

i know that most airlines has either the 22"x14"x9" limit, or a 45" total limit

i'm wondering if i purchase the 22"x14"x10" case, will i run into any problems when i try to bring it on board? will most AA/BA/Alaska plane's overhead bin have enough clearance for it? how about airline personnels? are they cery strict enforcing the rules?

thanks in advance

songbird Dec 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dancingbear (Post 1523585)
... a bag that's almost exactly that size (10" deep, 14" wide, 23 1/4" long) and it's a *perfect* fit, wheels-first, into the extended MD80 (DEF-side) and 757 bins. It's a hair too long for the 737 bins ...(as with the standard, non-extended MD80 bins)...
Edited to concur with the original poster: I don't think this bag, even though it's withing the "magic dimensions" specified by AAFA, will fit in the bins over the center seats on a 767. I've always had to put it in a bin over a window seat. (It *looks* like it should fit, but somehow I don't think I've ever managed it.)

[This message has been edited by dancingbear (edited Mar 13, 2004).]

Oh, shoot. I assumed that center seat bins would be larger than the side bins. :O

I will be traveling to Europe and back on AA 763s and BA 767s in the winter, and I'll have a hand baggage "challenge." (Musical instrument.)

Of the not-extra-price economy seats on these planes, will the sides really have more bin space than the center?

Antarius Dec 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Holy moly. This thread is 10 years old.

Anyways, the 767 middle bins are smaller than the sides. The bin size doesn't depend on the seat price/preferred or not.

mvoight Dec 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by songbird (Post 21989935)
Oh, shoot. I assumed that center seat bins would be larger than the side bins. :O

I will be traveling to Europe and back on AA 763s and BA 767s in the winter, and I'll have a hand baggage "challenge." (Musical instrument.)

Of the not-extra-price economy seats on these planes, will the sides really have more bin space than the center?

It doesn't matter. Bins are shared space. They are not tied to a specific seat. That said, if you are sitting in row 35, don't put bags by the seats in row10.. Take them to the back of the plane

songbird Dec 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 21989979)
Holy moly. This thread is 10 years old.

That's just me checking first before starting a new thread. :)

Anyways, the 767 middle bins are smaller than the sides.
Thanks!