Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA has no plans for a BlackBerry 10 app.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold

During an exchange on twitter with @americanair they said that they had no plans to develop an app for the new BlackBerry 10 os.

I know that these phones are not available in the US yet (I live in the UK and have a Z10), but this seems a poor show on AA's part. I used the app on my old Torch (os 6) and had expected one for my new phone too.

BlackBerry's are often the choice of business folk, so it would seem a no brainer that AA should create an app.

How shall we (collectively) persuade them to develop one?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:41 am
Suspended

Blackberry hasn't for bankrupt yet?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PHCorkill
How shall we (collectively) persuade them to develop one?
Go buy 50 million BB 10 phones, to equal even a 1/5th the Android devices in use worldwide today.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Can we please not turn this into a BB bashing thread.

Pertinent answers only please.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Can we please not turn this into a BB bashing thread.

Pertinent answers only please.
Stating low sales numbers for BB, versus other devices, is not really bashing, just a statement of fact. AA thought the cost involved was not worth it. So, is AA bashing BB? Maybe RIM needs to make an Android BB
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

*sigh*

I asked how we might get AA to develop an app, not reasons why they wouldn't.

As I said in my original post, this version of the BB is not available in the US yet, so not surprising that sales there are low. The Z10 has been pretty popular where it has been released and is a completely new experience.

AA had an app for earlier versions and Qatar, for example, have one for the new one. They are fairly easy (as I understand it) to port over from Android. Why not be ahead of the curve, not lagging behind?

Any BB users out there?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:18 am

*sigh*

Any BB users out there?
and that's why you won't get AA to develop a BB app.

Last edited by Ritz; Mar 13, 2013 at 8:25 am
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
*sigh*

I asked how we might get AA to develop an app, not reasons why they wouldn't.
And you don't see these as hand-in-hand questions? If even the folks here can't come up with a compelling reason (other than "because I want them to") it's going to be a tough sell. Part (a major part) of developing any strategy is to clearly identify why it might not work.

Of course, coming up with some ideas on why it might is a good idea, too...

Bueller...Bueller...?

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:27 am

On a lighter -related- note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dmhF1rqaZk
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Will be interesting to see what happens once the Z10 is readily available in the US. I was considering getting one, although this might be a dealbreaker - I use the AA app a lot.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
AA's current app was first released to iPhone and Android. Months later they released it to Blackberry. I think they'll wait and see what the Blackberry new OS adoption is.

And ... I' a bb user so I hope its sooner rather than later. At the moment, I think they have higher marketing priorities. The issue about apps for the new bb isn't limited to AA.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I also plan to get a BB10 once released in the USA, and hope they eventually produce an app for it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
AA's current app was first released to iPhone and Android. Months later they released it to Blackberry. I think they'll wait and see what the Blackberry new OS adoption is.
They also came out with a Windows Phone app (as did Delta, but not (yet) United). Interestingly, a number of OW carriers have released WP apps (BA, QF, MH) -also LH and AF/KL in other alliances.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AA; Amex Plat, Chase SPR
Internally, AA switched over from issuing BB's as corporate devices to iPhones and Samsung products this year, which is relevant. Often the loudest cries for technology changes come from within, and considering this change, odds aren't looking good.

Also, I hate it break it to you, but your statement that Blackberry's are often the choice of business folk is simply no longer the case. It's a dying breed, and it's extremely unlikely that you'll see a BB app developed.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Will be interesting to see what happens once the Z10 is readily available in the US. I was considering getting one, although this might be a dealbreaker - I use the AA app a lot.
I'm guessing what will happen will be what nearly every tech and financial analyst is saying will happen:

1. The Z10 comes out in the US.

2. Few consumers buy it, and virtually no large corporations buy in because they signed long-term contracts with either Apple or Samsung these past three years while Blackberry was twiddling their thumbs wondering when the world changed.

3. Everyone moves on, and Blackberry files for bankruptcy within 3 years.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:58 am

BlackBerry's are often the choice of business folk, so it would seem a no brainer that AA should create an app.
Yup, they sure are. Wait, its not 2006?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.