Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RTW / round the world "Explorer" travel / ticket (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
RTW / Round The World: oneworld and Global Explorer
(Not to be confused with extinct Explorer Award

There are two kinds of "round the world" products offered by American Airlines (in conjunction with other oneworld and partner airlines).

1. oneworld Explorer: This ticket offers travel to and within three to six continents and is priced on the country of origin, class of service and number of continents visited; it is not mileage based (you can fly and earn a lot of miles with perspicacious planning).

Other basics include:
  • Limited to oneworld airlines
  • Your trip must be ten days long or more
  • A oneworld Explorer ticket is limited to 16 segments
  • Limited to up to four segments in one continent - six in North America
  • Two stopovers allowed in country of origin
  • Can not transit your city of origin
  • The general directionality - east or west - must be maintained
  • Three continent fares not available with origin in Southern Hemisphere and Africa
N.B. one world geographic terms must be consulted - "Europe" for this purpose includes some of west Asia and the Middle East

2. Global Explorer: This ticket is mileage based for pricing.

An advantage here is the ability to include non-oneworld airlines in your ticketing as long as they offer oneworld code shares: "Aer Lingus, Air Fiji, Alaska Airlines, Gulf Air, Kingfisher, Malaysia Airlines and Maridianafly; Qantas code-share services operated by Air Tahiti Nui, Vietnam Airlines, South African Airways and Jetstar are also permitted.”

1 Dec 2015 adds new partners: "Jetstar Asia, Jetstar Japan and Jetstar Pacific are adding their networks to Global Explorer, the round-the-world fare offered by oneworld® member airlines and selected partners outside the global alliance. Jetstar’s Australian airline already participates in the fare."
Resources:

oneworld Explorer information and FAQ (oneworld website)

oneworld Global Explorer information and FAQ (oneworld website)

Note: The best place to discuss and find information for both oneworld Explorer and Global Explorer travel is the FlyerTalk oneworld Forum.

oneworld Explorer FAQ (FlyerTalk oneworld forum)

article by The Points Guy
Print Wikipost

RTW / round the world "Explorer" travel / ticket (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
AAdvantage for my RTW trip

Hello everybody. I've asked on the Oneworld and Qantas forums about a frequent flyer program my around-the-world trip and the recommendations seem to be to use AA's frequent flyer program due to better redemption rates compared with other airline's programs.

This holiday trip is for me, my wife, daughter on a child ticket and son as a lap-infant. We live in London, but Mrs Puff is from Hong Kong and I'm an Australian citizen, so most of our regular travel is UK-HK-Aus. If I sign up for AAdvantage, it is likely that I would like to redeem my miles on BA, Qantas or Cathay Pacific and not on AA. I'm only interested in J or F redemptions; for economy travel I just buy cash tickets.

Here is my itinerary. It is a One World Explorer DONE6 ticket, i.e. business class, booking class D. Starts in January 2015, ends in July or August.

JNB-QF-SYD
SYD-JL-NRT
NRT-UL-CMB
CMB-CX-HKG
HKG-KA-RGN
RGN-KA-HKG
HKG-AA-LAX (operated by CX)
LAX-AA-ORD
ORD-AA-CUN
CUN-AA-JFK
JFK-AA-BDA
BDA-AA-MIA
MIA-AA-SCL
SCL-LA-GIG
GIG-BA-LHR
LHR-BA-EBB

In addition and on separate tickets, we will also be doing in economy:
SYD-MEL-CBR-SYD on Qantas
SCL-IPE-SCL on Lan Chile

So.... how about AAdvantage for a FF program for this trip?

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 27, 2015 at 9:53 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Creanpuff other posts on the same topic below.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...itinerary.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post23843304

The answer will be same:- AA is a lot better than QF. AA awards cost less in miles/points than QF and have low co pay $$. Unless the AA award is on BA when a cash surcharge applies.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum,AS MVP
No problems booking award tickets using the AAdvantage web page. Just did it a few weeks ago for my wife and daughter.

However, while there is no problem booking BA flights with the system, the taxes are MUCH higher than for the AA ones. I think there were some other thread a while back discussing this. One nice benefit with the AA awards it doesn't matter how many legs you fly, only the zones.

Also, I also have an infant son (soon 2), and adult/child/infant all use the same amount of miles. So in your case, you would need to book 4 award tickets. You can not add an infant to an award ticket, so it may make sense to pay for one ticket and add the lap infant to that ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyHall
However, while there is no problem booking BA flights with the system, the taxes are MUCH higher than for the AA ones. I think there were some other thread a while back discussing this. One nice benefit with the AA awards it doesn't matter how many legs you fly, only the zones.
That was one thing I wasn't sure about with AAdvantage- so if say I wanted to fly on an award booking from LHR->POM (Port Moresby) then this would, assuming award seats were actually available, count as a single Europe-SW pacific even though the routing would be something like LHR-HKG-CNS-POM, i.e. 3 x flights?

Last edited by creampuff; Nov 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyHall
However, while there is no problem booking BA flights with the system, the taxes are MUCH higher than for the AA ones...
The taxes are exactly the same. The carrier imposed surcharges (~profit) are not the same. Never confuse real taxes, as paid to governments, with carrier imposed surcharges (~profit). Those that do are being sucked in by the airlines.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"The taxes are exactly the same."

Not quite.

The presence of surcharges on AAdvantage award tickets for TATL travel on BA metal triggers certain U.S. taxes that would not apply to "free" award travel on AA metal.

But those additional U.S. taxes pale in comparison to the carrier surcharges for travel on BA metal.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:09 pm

Sorry, I may have lost my mind here (very possible) - but is OP not referring to a Oneworld Explorer award ticket, which AA stopped issuing last April? Does that not present an issue?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sorry, have I lost my mind? Is OP not referring to a OneWorld Explorer award ticket, which AA stopped issuing last April? Does that not present an issue?
No , the OP isn't

The OP is referring to the OneWorld Around the World fare which is a paid ticket

If it was an award ticket , there would be zero points to be earned
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No , the OP isn't

The OP is referring to the OneWorld Around the World fare which is a paid ticket

If it was an award ticket , there would be zero points to be earned
Huh, interesting. I had thought this whole post was about what program to transfer points into to use for redeeming the award listed. Especially given that the OP mentions that the trip is in J, that they usually redeem points for J and pay for economy, and that they will be doing separate paid economy tickets. So that kind of threw me off.

That makes more sense then.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Yup, to confirm, these are paid tickets. I've had a recommendation on the Qantas forum ( I've had a QF FF account for a long time) not to use Qantas but to use an AA FF account for this trip.

I think we (me, wife, daughter) will make it from zero to AA Plat on this ininerary, is that correct? It's around 55,000 miles flown.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:45 am

Assuming all flights occur within 1 calendar year , 55,000 flown miles will get to 82.5k qualifying points

50k qualifying points ( plus 4 AA sectors meets the Platinum requirement )
100k qualifying points is the requirement to attain Executive Platinum status

If you do another 18.5k points before the end of the calendar year, wil then get EP status
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Should I consider a AA Platinum Challenge?

The first Qantas JNB-SYD flight in D-fare class business should give over 10,000 EQP (I think).

Is there any way to do an Exec Plat challenge? Can my 4 year old daughter do a Platinum Challenge?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:02 am

Yes, I would definitely consider the platinum challenge and no reason why the 4 year old could not sign up too

The 1 flight on its own will meet the challenge , which means that you will be eligible for status bonus on that flight and all subsequent flights which are on carriers where the bonus is applied

I think it would easily be worth the $250 signup fee
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes, I would definitely consider the platinum challenge and no reason why the 4 year old could not sign up too

The 1 flight on its own will meet the challenge , which means that you will be eligible for status bonus on that flight and all subsequent flights which are on carriers where the bonus is applied

I think it would easily be worth the $250 signup fee
OK thanks. I'm not sure about this bit:
According to here
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...enges-matches/
"If you begin your status challenge before June 16 and end up completing it, status is valid through February of the following year.

If you begin your status challenge on or after June 16 and end up completing it, status is valid for the remainder of the year, the entire following year, and until February the year after.

So generally you’re best off completing a challenge in the second half of the year in order to maximize status."

In my case the JNB-SYD flight is in January 2015. However, even without the challenge I would qualify for Platinum anyway with my itinerary based on miles flown. I'd just get Platinum after the first flight with a Plat Challenge instead of towards the end of the trip without, which means more FF miles throughout the trip if I do the challenge.

So if I do a Plat Challenge and qualify after my first JNB-SYD flight in January 2015, would I have platinum status until Feb 2016 or Feb 2017?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by creampuff
So if I do a Plat Challenge and qualify after my first JNB-SYD flight in January 2015, would I have platinum status until Feb 2016 or Feb 2017?
You will have platinum status through Feb. 2017. All flight activity in the 2015 calendar year is applied towards for the 2016 membership year which starts on March 1, 2016 and ends Feb. 28, 2017.
And the $250 ( or thereabouts) fee for the challenge is definitely worth it - you'll be getting around 45,000 RDM more out of your trip (the 100% platinum status bonus) with the challenge than if you'd just qualify the regular way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.