Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
No one who knows anything about executives or who has ever been involved with management team building thought for a second that Parker was smart or better suited to grow AA than Horton.

What he did over bankruptcy, to grow the company's revenues was really a job well done. The unions hated him, and the bankers just needed this thing to go long enough to sell their shares to be made whole. They could care less about the long term growth and felt that unions happy would allow things to stay on course long enough to get paid.

Not the first, nor the last time a bad decision is made for today's gains, at the expense of the long term health of a company. Its called being a publicly traded company.

Cheers,
AA777

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's easy to see correlation, but establishing causation is not so easy.

Yes, DL is firing on all cylinders and making huge profits despite its less-than-friendly frequent flyer program changes.

UA, on the other hand, is a different story. Since March 3, 3012, the Shares integration date, UA has underperformed relative to both AA and DL.

When AA filed for Ch 11 in November, 2011, the Wall St stockpushers unanimously predicted that AA would shrink by at least 10% (some fools predicted 15% or more) and thus AA would see its revenue decline by at least $2.5 billion in 2012 compared with 2011.

What actually happened was vastly different from the predictions of JamieBaker/HunterKeay/et al: AA's 2012 revenue was up by almost a billion dollars over 2011, and AA shrank very little. Over at UA, 2012 revenue was $42 million higher compared with 2011. It wasn't just AA; US and DL also saw their 2012 revenue grow substantially compared to UA.

Against that backdrop, I would have predicted that Parker would stay the course and continue to dance with the one that brung him for at least a couple more years, you know - not piss off the elites, both native and recent arrivals from UA. Continue to look attractive to customers fleeing UA (and maybe even DL given its very recent changes to Skypiles).

Instead, he's angered the AA elites long before he's even integrated the computer systems, perhaps jeopardizing the huge revenue growth that AA and US saw in 2012 and 2013 (especially compared with UA).

Maybe his aggressive changes will bring in even higher profits in the short-term. We'll see.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Uh oh, there you go again, letting facts get in the way of people's opinions

Cheers,
AA777

Originally Posted by hillrider
That's exactly why Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices.

Laws take precedent over contracts, and many are written with this in mind. Lemon laws are one such example: the sales contract may state that the "sale is final", "sold as is", "no warranty", "no rebates", etc., but this is all made irrelevant (void) by the lemon law.

If the DOT rules that the changes are deceptive, anything in AA's unilateral contract of adhesion that says otherwise is completely irrelevant. And the U.S. Supreme Court reminded us of this.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Let's see, the list of airlines that I can think of that have devalued miles and/or benefits in the past few years, many with little or no notice:

AA AC AF AS AV B6 BA DL KL LH VX WN UA US

In a competitive environment where all the other airlines are devaluing their miles and, over time, explicitly linking benefits to revenue as best they can, not doing so is leaving money on the table, sad to say.
What is happening in the airline industry is the antithesis of a "competitive environment." In a competitive environment, businesses seek to attract new customers and retain existing customers with economic benefits superior to those offered by their competitors. Reducing benefits because others are doing so is plainly emblematic of an anti-competitive environment. Indeed, we can all agree, there is nowhere to turn.

The remaining apologists for the airlines industry among the frequent flyer community, and their opposition to long overdue re-regulation of this wreck of a business model, are facilitating the bad acts of Messrs. Parker, Smisek et al. and the so-called "race to the bottom." Sad to say.

--mcz

"We don't care because we don't have to."
--The Phone Company
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/76/76aphonecompany.phtml
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
That's it -- I'm going to go Amtrak.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
Wonder what kind of Amtrak points I could get for a Philly - Shanghai run?

Cheers,
AA777
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Just cancelled my Citi Executive AAdvantage card 2 weeks into having it. Perhaps the 100k miles will be good on AA in the future but, given Tuesday's events, there are surer bets elsewhere. The 1M+ miles I already have in the bank are risk enough.

And I'm one of the a-holes who clipped Kellogg's box tops for miles...

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Seems non-controversial that AA miles will be worth less (not worthless) in the future, which is what you said. Heck, any loyalty currency is ultimately going to be worth less over time, which is why it's not best to hoard. Since a devaluation of sAAver is bound to happen before long, AA miles will certainly have lower value over time.
Yup... and it may be a time not to accumulate any more while it continues to settle rapidly in the near term. I doubt this is the last move.

Last edited by sinanju; Apr 10, 2014 at 12:16 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
"First they came for the economy passengers but I did not speak up because I was not an economy passenger.

Then they came for the F passengers but I did not speak up because I was not an F passenger.

Then they came for the Emerald status members but I did not speak up because I was not an Emerald status member.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak up for me."

Pardon the paraphrasing as it's obviously not on the same level but if you don't act now then your precious saver awards will be the next to be axed.
Wow!!! You seriously want to compare the plight of the over-entitled frequent flyer to those who perished in the Holocaust? Classic!

For all of those out there who held on to the belief that a stand-alone AA was going to leave its FF program unchanged, you were living in a fantasy world. When the FF programs were at their most generous, airlines were bleeding billions of dollars. But hey! If I still get into F on my Y ticket, it's all good! Well, the industry figured out how to be profitable. Moreover, it was less than a decade ago that oil trading at $60 a barrel was considered the threashold point from when an airline would move from the black into the red. Today, airlines are doing quite well with oil hovering around $100 per barrel. And this is an inveitable consequence of that. And I'll use the demise of MRTC as a prime example of this. Passengers loved it; but not enough to pay more for it. So it went bye-bye. Now, if AA wanted to continue being "different" than the rest, and it wasn't costing them money to do so, they would have kept it.

Last edited by Fanjet; Apr 10, 2014 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
My revenge? Extra credit card churn...not that I need the miles.
How so? AA got paid for those miles sold to Citi. You only hurt Citi not AA by getting more credit cards only for the bonus.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Some personal exchanges have been redacted or removed. Let's keep things on track here folks.

As a reminder (from the newly revised FlyerTalk Rules):

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

<snip>

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle.
~Moderator
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:13 am
Suspended

To be clear, my issue is not that AA have chosen to devalue their AADVANTAGE program. Loyalty programs are proving a liability now the economy is improving and they have printed so many miles for CC and other third parties. As a result AA have been removing Saaver inventory for AA international flights for the last 2 years. Airlines can make a business decision to remove consumer value if they think it will improve their business.

My issue is the way it has been implemented. If a frank letter along with website notice 30 days ahead explaining steps were needed to ensure profitability of the new AA and it's survival, I would have been disappointed but understood.

To send out a distorted email claiming they had already improved things, publishing the new increased charges on the website after implementation and deliberately hiding the removal of international gateway stopovers is at best unprofessional. For a loyalty program to be implemented in such a disloyal fashion is shocking.

When the US Airways take over and the arrival of Parker was announced I hoped the voices of doom were mistaken. I am now looking for a status match back at UA. Since the CO merger they have added back routes they previously cancelled and despite weakening the value of their miles they still have a program run with some integrity.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Ahhhh...the poor huddled AA FF's have finally had their fill of broken promises, contracts and trust with this BK morphed entity...start filing complaints Ad Nausem and irritate the hell out of these so called 'pillars of corporate society', AKA worlds largest 'airline'...
As we all know, the Gov is a shell game providing lip service and little else for the traveling public.
Sadly, the olde AA is but a shell of its former self, honorable, proud and kept its promises...
It's now UNWORTHY of the proud Name of American....should be renamed Air Zimbabwe !!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Originally Posted by Robl
I submitted a detailed DOT complaint just now using their online form. I hope others here at FT do the same.
^^^
DONE !!!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
Which, a few weeks ago, announced the end of pre-departure champagne, amenity kits, and wine tastings for sleeper car passengers

However, I am genuinely looking forward to my WN flight (bought instead of AA, for the first time in years). They're minimalist, but good at what they do.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:48 am
Suspended

Well AA say it is for consistency. So I make the presumption One World is asking members to adopt the lowest common standard, I.e. BA. I hope this does
Not mean we will see extortionate charges for "free"
Tickets as BA charges.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Background:
I was sitting with my son - who needed an award ticket. I agreed to front the CC and pay the BA "fees". Got to the end and the website said - The names on the ticket and credit card must MATCH. AA needs a work around for that - but that's off topic for here.

I called reservations and the PLT agent was delightful. And agreed that they have also been adversely affected by the changes. And she wondered why the Explorer awards disappeared as she understood the interest for those who took the time to book them. As son is non-elite, the computer charged us US$25. Which the agent did agree should have been $35

My remaining 2014 flights may be credited as leading to:
QF Emerald - CX ruby - anything left over to AA?
or
AA Emerald? (with no soft landing)

AT least I have till mid May to consider the final answer.

Unhappily wandering (at the moment)

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.