Wiki Posts
Search

Which 777 flights have sleeper seats???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Which 777 flights have sleeper seats???

I know it is for transatlantic markets but how can you tell which flights do have the sleeper seats??? Is it only for certain routes???
Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:49 am
Suspended

If it's a 777, it has sleeper-seats in F regardless of market served. Perhaps you meant which 777's currently have the 1-2-1 "suite" configuration?
Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:51 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
If it's a 777, it has sleeper-seats in F regardless of market served. Perhaps you meant which 777's currently have the 1-2-1 "suite" configuration?</font>
I guess I misunderstood. I thought it was only the flights with the 1-2-1 configuration that were sleeper seats. What is the difference between the two configurations besides the layout itself? Do any of the 763's have sleeper seats?

I have a goal to fly first in a sleeper seat. It is what I am saving my miles for

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-04-2003).]
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:03 am
Suspended

All 777's have fully-flat sleeper seats. Some are so-called "coffin" type seats-- in 1 2-2-2 configuration. The "Atlantic" version (and, I think this is the future config for all AA 777's? Have we concluded this?) has flagship "suites"-- which are nicer, especially if you are traveling alone.

I just took AA950, GRU-JFK and it had the "Atlantic" config-- even though there's only one FTer who considers GRU-JFK to be a "transatlantic" flight -- and the suites are definitely nicer than the non-suites. By how much? That's subjective, of course. I enjoyed it very much. BTW, as of last week there still was a flagship-config 777 servicing LAX-MIA. Nice.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the explanation! One more question about booking an award flight on one of these. If I used miles for a first class seat, would I be guaranteed to be in a sleeper seat? I have read about some flights being considered 2-class flights where you could possibly end up in Business class. If I am going to burn that many miles, I would want to be sure I got the sleeper seat.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Thank you for the explanation! One more question about booking an award flight on one of these. If I used miles for a first class seat, would I be guaranteed to be in a sleeper seat? I have read about some flights being considered 2-class flights where you could possibly end up in Business class. If I am going to burn that many miles, I would want to be sure I got the sleeper seat.</font>

Since all 763s are being converted to J/Y (no sleepers), book carefully (like on a 777) if you want to be certain of a flat seat. In the interim, some 763s will still have flat seats, but they are going away.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:22 am
Suspended

deleted

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 01-04-2003).]
Old Jan 4, 2003, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
So, what 777 serves the MIA-EZE route?
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:17 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
So, what 777 serves the MIA-EZE route?</font>
Currently, the nice one.

Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:18 pm
Suspended

oops-- dupe.

Old Jan 5, 2003, 11:11 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:

Since all 763s are being converted to J/Y (no sleepers), book carefully (like on a 777) if you want to be certain of a flat seat. In the interim, some 763s will still have flat seats, but they are going away.
</font>
Even for International flights? If you go to aa.com they are still advertising these as if they all have sleeper seats. It was even a featured link today on one of the pages to encourage flying first class.

Old Jan 5, 2003, 11:20 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Even for International flights? If you go to aa.com they are still advertising these as if they all have sleeper seats. It was even a featured link today on one of the pages to encourage flying first class.
</font>
AA is eliminating F on 763's. 777's will all have 3-cabins, 763's will be Y and J only.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

</font>
Yep, even for international flights. All 49 of AA's 767-300s should be converted by mid-year 2003 to 30J/182Y. No first class. The good news? 60 inches of pitch, even to Hawaii.

Want a really nice seat? Fly somewhere on a 777 (all of which now have, and will continue to have, fully flat sleeper seats. Rumor has it that the 777 recongiguration will be to suites, not coffins (Atlantic will be standard, not Pacific).

You should know by now that AA.com will be the last to be told.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Want a really nice seat? Fly somewhere on a 777 (all of which now have, and will continue to have, fully flat sleeper seats. Rumor has it that the 777 recongiguration will be to suites, not coffins (Atlantic will be standard, not Pacific).

777 it will be then. So if I want to upgrade from economy to FC on one of these 3-class planes, using miles at 25k for upgrading one class, I could use 50k miles for one way??? Do award upgrades go through right away?

You should know by now that AA.com will be the last to be told.

Funny you should mention that. I called the Gold desk Friday to ask about the online check-in and they knew nothing about it. He kept insisting that you still needed to be at the airport 60 minutes ahead of time to checkin. </font>
btw, thanks for all the helpful responses!

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-05-2003).]
Old Jan 5, 2003, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't upgrade from economy to First on a three class plane offering three class international service, and no 3 class planes are sold as two classes except for the domestic trips like ORD-LAX, ORD-SFO, LAX-EWR, JFK-MIA and several others. Plus, those flights might be operated with a 762, which wouldn't get you a flat first class seat.

If you want International First in a sleeper seat, then you have to upgrade from purchased business class or pay for First.

My recommendation? Schedule ORD-LAX and upgrade it with stickers. Odds are that a star might be up front with you (I've shared First with plenty of celebs on that route, though not as many as JFK-LAX). After dinner you can stretch out that sleeper seat and nap the rest of the way to LA.

Have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.