Flagship Lounge Access on Transcon F

Old Aug 21, 2001, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Flagship Lounge Access on Transcon F

The last two time I've flown transcon out of Boston, the Admirals Club staff has shown me to the Flagship Lounge. Apparently, they explained when I very carefully and precisely asked about the rules, an F (or P - premium) passenger on a transcon ("coast to coast, even if it's not flagship or three-class service," so my recent BOS-SJC was fine) can use the Boston Flagship Lounge. Only comparable city is Miami, they explain, because it wouldn't be possible to have a transcon flight from Chicago or DFW (those being in the middle of the country, obviously).

They agree that a passenger in J on three-class service still isn't allowed to go even to the Admirals Club, notwithstanding that the same fare basis would be F on a two-class plain.

Well, this is all a little weird, to my mind, but seemingly quite consistent -- at least consistent among the last two times it has happened to me.

Incidentally, there was sushi (w/ fish, not just California Rolls) in the Boston flagship lounge yesterday around 6pm. I know the dates and times of sushi in the Chicago Flagship Lounge have been of interest to some, so I thought I'd pass this along.

(Edited to fix a typo.)

[This message has been edited by bedelman (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old Aug 21, 2001, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I found the Flagship Lounge access in Boston a little strange as well. When I got a Business class trans-pacific award ticket, I was booked in first class for the trans-con leg.

I expected to get AC access, but was pretty surprised to have the ticketing agent tell me I would be welcome in the Flagship Lounge as well.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 9:30 am

Forgive my ignorance (or if this has already been discussed on an earlier thread), but what is the difference between the flagship lounge and the Admirals Club? I am already an AC club member, no familiarity with the flagship lounges.

Old Aug 21, 2001, 10:23 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
The Flagship Lounges are AA's premium FC lounges. You are allowed access to a Flagship Lounge if

(a) You are EXP and traveling that day on any int'l itinerary outside of N. America
(b) You are flying that day in FC on any OW carrier on an int'l trip outside of N. America
(c) You are OW top-tier with any program other than AA and traveling domestically w/i the US that day on AA.
(d) You are flying domestic flagship P* class

I had a long talk w/Michelle in Special Services in BOS about this many moons ago, when she was trying to increase traffic to the Flagship Lounge (just after it opened). At that time, only P class pax on trans-cons were allowed access, but I can easily see that having been made more liberal and now apply to F class as well. I suggested that they should treat trans-cons the same as Int'l flights (they're both "flagship service" after all), and that all EXP's on trans-cons should get in, the same as all EXP's on int'l get in. She liked that idea, but was fairly certain it wouldn't fly with the higher-ups.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 10:49 am

Thanks for clarifying how you get in, however the curious part of me wants to know....when you get in, what is it? Similar to AC? More services? Less?

Old Aug 21, 2001, 10:59 am

I am totally new to this also, and have never had the privilege of flying first class. I am finally flying first class in October to Hawaii, and was wondering if that counts as international flight? (from BOS->ORD->LIH) and would I be able to access the flagship lounge? sorry if this is a stupid question... I have no idea how these things work...
Old Aug 21, 2001, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bedelman:
Only comparable city is Miami, they explain, because it wouldn't be possible to have a transcon flight from Chicago or Miami (those being in the middle of the country, obviously).</font>
Miami is in the middle of the country?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bedelman:
They agree that a passenger in J on three-class service still isn't allowed to go even to the Admirals Club, notwithstanding that the same fare basis would be F on a two-class plain.</font>
Interesting point here. I also find it weird that you would get (presumably) 1.5 Q-points for the F fare on the 2-class equip, but only 1.25 Q-points for J on a 3-class, for the same fare. This issues arises when considering flying JFK-LAX vs. EWR-LAX. Maybe this has been discussed before, but any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by ijgordon (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old Aug 21, 2001, 11:53 am

Plupup - Hawaii is still part of the US therefore not international.

What I don't get is that Canada, Central America and some of the Carib islands never have been part of the US but are classed as domestic! I figure, need a passport then it's int'l.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 12:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdix:
Plupup - Hawaii is still part of the US therefore not international.

What I don't get is that Canada, Central America and some of the Carib islands never have been part of the US but are classed as domestic! I figure, need a passport then it's int'l.
</font>
You never know. American considers, for flight attendants, anything over an ocean to be international flying. If I work a flight from LAX-HNL it is international and if I work JFK-SJU it's international.

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can think that MIA is in the middle of the country.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 12:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA in CA:
Thanks for clarifying how you get in, however the curious part of me wants to know....when you get in, what is it? Similar to AC? More services? Less?
</font>
'was in the one in ORD once. Something like the ACs outside of North America -- free alcohol, very good munchies selection, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
The amenities really vary greatly by the club. The newer ones are nicer than the older ones. All of them have free food/drink. The level of the food is MUCH higher than any munchies offered in the AC. You also get little things like free domestic (and at least in DFW int'l) calls.

MIA -- the oldest, is already starting to look a bit tired. Nothing that great there.

DFW -- the newest, is VERY nice. Last time I was there they even shined my shoes for me -- the pair I wasn't wearing.

BOS is a *great* club, but it's a bit too small. Given the space they had to work with, though, I'd say they did a fabulous job with it.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

ijgordon and AAFA, sorry for the Miami typo. I'll revise that immediately. Meant to say DFW, as it's ORD and DFW that have flagship lounges but are in the middle of the country, and so have no transcon service (per the definition from the BOS flagship lounge staff person).

Can anyone else back up my report of current BOS policy? If a couple more folks can, I'm sure fewmiles will be ready to update the appropriate page on his (superb!) site.
Old Aug 22, 2001, 7:08 am

Aloha,

Pulpup, we flew first class, roundtrip to Hawaii. On the return, we flew from Honolulu to Dallas/Ft. Worth. My wife and I tried to gain access to the Admirals Club in Honolulu. We even had "F Class" boarding passes. They DENIED us access.

The two reason, 1). We were not members of Admirals Club program. 2). We were not flying "Internationally" from Honolulu.

From everything I have been told, the Hawaiian trips from the mainland are ALL DOMESTIC because Hawaii is part of the 50 United States of America. So I was totally taken aback when she said we could that. I did not think American flew "Internationally" from Honolulu.

If I were you. I would try to gain access, it doesn't hurt to try. Have fun on Kauai.
Old Aug 27, 2001, 10:38 am

Location: Dallas, Texas, USA. AA Exec. Plat., Inter-Continental Six Continents Club "Executive", Hyatt Gold Passport "Diamond"
Just wanted to add one other tiny point about Flagship Lounge access. If your international trip starts with a domestic leg in a city that has a Flagship Lounge, you'll be allowed to use the lounge in that city, too.

For example, I often fly DFW-Miami-Rio de Janeiro, so I use the Flagship Lounge in both Dallas and Miami.

What I enjoy most about the Flagship Lounge is that it is more intimate. The folks in Dallas see me often, so they often recognise me by name, which is a nice touch. The snack selection is certainly better than what the Admirals Club has to offer, though it's still weak compared to what other Oneworld partners offer.
Old Oct 27, 2001, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I just noticed that the Flagship Lounges page on AA's web site (http://www.aa.com - Programs & Services - Airport & Fleet Information - Premium Lounges and Services - Flagship Lounges) explicitly says transcon F passengers can enter.

Oddly, though, rather than saying "passengers on full-fare paid F tickets booked at a F fare basis," it says "When you travel in our First Class cabin on an American Airlines non-stop transcontinental ... flight."

So seemingly a person who upgraded with electronic upgrade certificates from a coach fare to First on a two-class transcon would still be eligible... Someone should try this, bringing with them (to the BOS or MIA Flagship Lounge) a printout of this page.

I know this isn't the policy the staff at the lounges seek to follow, as it's precisely contradictory to what I've been told on other occasions. ("F passengers only. No upgraders. [What about RTW A-class fliers, I ask?] Uh, not sure.") So it would indeed be interesting to see what they do...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.