Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:34 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

MODERATOR NOTES

Please use this thread to discuss upgrade availability on specific flights for calendar year 2014, and for now, booking into 2015.

• For general information, see this FAQ entry: What are the chances that my upgrade will clear?

• For specific information herein, try using Search this Thread for your relevant airport code(s), as well as for the previous archived threads:

• Tools like ExpertFlyer and KVS can be useful in seeing upgrade availability as well as seats for sale available in the cabin you seek. The Travel Tools Forum has extensive threads about these tools.
sica4 has generously started a system for tracking upgrade percentages. Please see THIS PREVIOUS POST or click HERE to contribute.

Please do not ask members to post proprietary information (e.g. ExpertFlyer data) regarding upgrade chances (a thoughtful, helpful member may post information, but you are not allowed to request it). Subscriptions and free trials for these services are available.

The AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 2014 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I read some posts about SWU availability being limited on the 77W. Planning to book AA 50 on Feb 17 in Y and use an SWU to upgrade. I am EXP and am traveling by myself. F is completely empty, J is empty save for 4 seats, MCE is about half full and Y is pretty empty.

Thoughts? Seems good, but have no personal experience with upgrading TATL on AA.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've had upgrades come through on transat 77Ws, from booking to walking up to the hate, er, gate counter. It can happen, but IMO it's more challenging due to the reduced F cabin size.

Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 2014 at 3:44 pm Reason: typoe
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
I've had upgrades come through on transat 77Ws, from booking to walking up to the hate counter. It can happen, but IMO it's more challenging due to the reduced F cabin size.
But the J cabin is bigger. I'm looking to go from Y to J, not J to F
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:55 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
I've had upgrades come through on transat 77Ws, from booking to walking up to the hate counter.
It's probably a typo but it's still funny.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm a brand new EXP. Any experiences on how easy it is to clear complimentary upgrade DFW to HNL these days?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I'm a brand new EXP. Any experiences on how easy it is to clear complimentary upgrade DFW to HNL these days?
I would say that it is not impossible but it's not a given. The flights that connect through LAX are an easy upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:07 am

Can someone check for me 1/4 on AA 297? Plat here but u/g have not cleared yet.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
But the J cabin is bigger. I'm looking to go from Y to J, not J to F
Yeah but there are also people trying to go from J to F.
If F is booked 3/8 and J 48/52, after they process any J to F upgrades it might be 7/8 and 44/52 leaving you more room for your Y to J.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That flight and to OGG I always use SWUs. For me for all practical purposes its an International long haul flight. I can't ever recall an empty F seat and the upgrade list always seems to run several columns.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:55 am

AA 39 lhr-mia on feb 12, 23 seats available in business

AA 56 mia-lhr on jul 13, 50 seats available in business

Request for swu for 2 are waitlisted, no status, will they clear?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by anchor79
Right now it’s F0 Z0 A0 on Expert Flyer. But the seat map shows the usual 2H/2J blocked and of the remaining 28, 12 are “available.” Y is packed.

I was on AA73 inbound and AA102 outbound last week, and at around T-8 like you are I had F1 and F2 respectively. Unlike your situation with 297 today with lots of “available” A had only moved from 0 to 2, and there were far fewer “available” than you have now on 297. My upgrade cleared on both.; I think you are in good shape.

Last edited by AATrout; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:25 am
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by anchor79
Expert Flyer showing no availability; flight shows completely full on FlightStats;
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DWFI
Yeah but there are also people trying to go from J to F.
If F is booked 3/8 and J 48/52, after they process any J to F upgrades it might be 7/8 and 44/52 leaving you more room for your Y to J.
Fair enough.

Thanks DFWI and JDiver
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by karthi525
AA 39 lhr-mia on feb 12, 23 seats available in business

AA 56 mia-lhr on jul 13, 50 seats available in business

Request for swu for 2 are waitlisted, no status, will they clear?
For 2 pax w/o status, I would work on the assumption that if they clear, it will not be until *very* close to departure.

I wouldn't be at all optimistic about AA 56: you will be traveling on the weekend, in high season, on the overnight flight , on the 77W, on a route that has a lot of paid premium traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.