Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Thank you to all who helped explain the details of the "overbooked economy class" on AA176 12/22. I saw that AA finally released C inventory on the flight, and my friend's upgrade request was cleared. The end result was what I had hoped for, I was just surprised that AA held out so long to release C inventory when Business class was so empty. I appreciate all the help!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAMCI
Thank you to all who helped explain the details of the "overbooked economy class" on AA176 12/22. I saw that AA finally released C inventory on the flight, and my friend's upgrade request was cleared. The end result was what I had hoped for, I was just surprised that AA held out so long to release C inventory when Business class was so empty. I appreciate all the help!
I have noticed upgrades clearing later and less award inventory 11 months out on premium cabins on popular routes. I think it is just a business decision to try and increase profitability by selling more and giving less away free. Can be irritating but I think understandable after bankruptcy. I have to say I do detect on these forums the view that regular flyers have a right to book cheaper tickets and always be upgraded. I have always seen them as a bonus.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
So the lazy GA not only screwed two EXPs, he/she left two standby pax stranded. Great work.

Did you check the upgrade list on the app during any of this? Others have previously reported seeing the "cleared" checkmark by their names but never got called up.
Yep, I was checking that expecting to see a check mark next to my name so I could gather my stuff.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I have booked tickets FLL to DFW for my family of 4 on 12/27. Economy.

Can I request upgrades for my entire family using stickers? Or are you limited to 1 companion? If I can only use stickers on 1 companion, can I use miles+copay for the other 2, while they adopt my upgrade priority?

I didn't even think about it because 4 is a lot to clear, but I looked on EF and First class has 2 seats taken so far.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by riastradh
I have booked tickets FLL to DFW for my family of 4 on 12/27. Economy.

Can I request upgrades for my entire family using stickers? Or are you limited to 1 companion?
You are limited to just one companion using "stickers"

You can also request a complimentary upgrade for one companion when he or she is traveling on a full-fare ticket (fares beginning with Y or B, excluding military/government fares). If they purchased any other type of fare, he or she can still be upgraded with you, but we will deduct an upgrade from your account for every 500 miles of travel. The only caveat is that your friend must be traveling with you; to be fair to other travelers, we can't confirm upgrades when your friends are traveling by themselves.

If I can only use stickers on 1 companion, can I use miles+copay for the other 2, while they adopt my upgrade priority?
You can use miles + copay for the others. They won't be able to use your status. If you are on any other flight except for 1449 (departing at 6:45 am) there is ample availabiity for a mileage/copay right now - so the issue of status isn't relevant.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro
AA108 or 136, Weds/Thurs or Fri: best chance of sept LAX-LHR upgrade

Hi All,

I'm flying LHR-LAX in March returning ~10th Sept (to break up a RTW), purchasing coach. I have some flexibility and can pick a rare date with (currently C4) LHR-LAX upgrade availability so that should clear on purchase.

On return, I can fly Weds/Thurs or Fri and on either flight (AA108 or AA136). I was also pondering if the 77W DFW-LHR flight clears more often as I could route the return via that.

Any opinions on which is more likely to clear an SWU upgrade? By default I was going to fly Thursday on AA108: 6pm.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by zoombee
On return, I can fly Weds/Thurs or Fri and on either flight (AA108 or AA136). I was also pondering if the 77W DFW-LHR flight clears more often as I could route the return via that.
LAX-LHR is among the hardest SWU to clear - but DFW-LHR isn't much easier on the 77W flight. Mid week will be better than Friday pm.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
LAX-LHR is among the hardest SWU to clear - but DFW-LHR isn't much easier on the 77W flight. Mid week will be better than Friday pm.
Thanks.

(fyi: avoiding JFK-LHR as I find it too short to sleep and avoiding the 777 DFW-LHR as I figure a higher risk of flying Y in a good 77W MCE seat I can sleep in more or less OK is preferred to a higher chance (but no guarantee) of flying J on an older 777)
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Hi All,

I'm flying LHR-LAX in March returning ~10th Sept (to break up a RTW), purchasing coach. I have some flexibility and can pick a rare date with (currently C4) LHR-LAX upgrade availability so that should clear on purchase.

Any opinions on which is more likely to clear an SWU upgrade? By default I was going to fly Thursday on AA108: 6pm.

Many thanks!
if you have a bit of flexibility on your outbound, AA is adding a second LAX-LHR flight, end of March.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...flight-to.html
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
You are limited to just one companion using "stickers"

You can use miles + copay for the others. They won't be able to use your status. If you are on any other flight except for 1449 (departing at 6:45 am) there is ample availabiity for a mileage/copay right now - so the issue of status isn't relevant.
Thanks! Yes I see that the availability is very broad. I have to think about whether $75+15K miles is worth it for a 2.5 hour flight.

I could just get two upgrades but don't want to split up the family.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM
Thanks! Yes I see that the availability is very broad. I have to think about whether $75+15K miles is worth it for a 2.5 hour flight.

I could just get two upgrades but don't want to split up the family.
You may also be charged a close-in award fee for the two mileage upgrades. They are charged for non-elites. I have no idea whether they would be waived if the miles would be coming from your account.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by skye1
if you have a bit of flexibility on your outbound, AA is adding a second LAX-LHR flight, end of March.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...flight-to.html
Oh, tnx. Hadn't spotted it isn't already two daily flights: seems I'm defaulting to the new flight for LAX-LHR (~6pm) in Sept. (My outbound is LHR-LAX: most weeks in March have a day with at least 1 x C1)

OK, with the number of flights about to double and a booking ~9 months in advance with no MCE seats reserved (i.e. I should be top of the waitlist): I'll stick with the direct return flight and live in hope . Find the 77W MCE seats pretty good so it's a fair fall back.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Oh, tnx. Hadn't spotted it isn't already two daily flights: seems I'm defaulting to the new flight for LAX-LHR (~6pm) in Sept. (My outbound is LHR-LAX: most weeks in March have a day with at least 1 x C1)

OK, with the number of flights about to double and a booking ~9 months in advance with no MCE seats reserved (i.e. I should be top of the waitlist): I'll stick with the direct return flight and live in hope . Find the 77W MCE seats pretty good so it's a fair fall back.
No worries. From talking to several reliable EXP agents, and from a few years of personal experience living in the UK, upgrades for weekened travel days (fri, sat, sun, mon) aren't cleared (if space is available) until day of depature, so don't freak out if your travel is on a Friday, you can see that space is available, and yet your upgrade hasn't cleared as of Friday morning. If going LHR-LAX, it gives you all morning to go Oneworld Lounge-Hopping at Heathrow.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Asking experts for prognosis and advice

I am using SWU for daughter’s ticket. We are on separate PNR and she has no status. Our PNRs are linked. Her itinerary is MIA-LAX-DFW-HKG, with the MIA-LAX already flown in F. LAX-DFW-HKG in econ (the SWU has already been applied). Travel date 03/12/2015. Should I at least call and put her on MCE without altering the time stamp? My itinerary MIA-SFO-DFW-HKG (with MIA-SFO already flown). My upgrade was cleared at time of booking.
What are her chances?

Today, I booked 2 tickets ICN-DFW-SFO return (wife and I are both EXP). AA cleared only 1 of us with SWU, and had to split tickets to do so. So now I am waitlisted for upgrade (with SWU). Travel dates are way out into next October. Wonder why my UG didn’t get cleared right away? Should I keep calling? I am not a subscriber to KVS or EF.
Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I tried to look on the forum but couldn't find anything,
I'm to fly BCN JFK these days, I applied a SWU But J0, on the other end there is LHR JFK (with a BA BCN LHR codeshare) that indicated C7, flight arrive at the same time in JFK.
My ticket is not flexible as far as I know, would the EXP desk accept to change the routing for free or should I just suck it up in Y and hope that someone in J cancel his strip last minute?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.