Questionon International Flight and EXP

Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Questionon International Flight and EXP

I'm currently EXP and I'm looking to book a Round Trip Flight on Nov 18th for the following: ORD-LAX-SYD-CHC

When I go to start the reservation process, it says all the flights are American Airlines and has an AA FF#, however, the LAX-SYD is operated by QANTAS, and the SYD-CHC is operated by Jetstar, and vice versa on the return.

In addition, when I go to select seats, it only lets me select seats for ORD-LAX flight and the LAX-ORD flight.... none of the others.

Question 1: Am I going to receive my EQM miles for these?

Question 2: I'm curious how booked up Business Class / First Class are because I want to use my SystemWide Upgrades to bump up, but it won't let me see any of the seating charts. If it's an American Flight, why won't it?

Question 3: Can I use my systemwides on this flight?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
LAX SYD is an AA codeshare, operated by Qantas. It has an AA flight number, but will be QF metal. No, you can't use a systemwide to upgrade.

Yes, you will get EQM on AA codeshares.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by usafltg
I'm currently EXP and I'm looking to book a Round Trip Flight on Nov 18th for the following: ORD-LAX-SYD-CHC

When I go to start the reservation process, it says all the flights are American Airlines and has an AA FF#, however, the LAX-SYD is operated by QANTAS, and the SYD-CHC is operated by Jetstar, and vice versa on the return.

In addition, when I go to select seats, it only lets me select seats for ORD-LAX flight and the LAX-ORD flight.... none of the others.

Question 1: Am I going to receive my EQM miles for these?

Question 2: I'm curious how booked up Business Class / First Class are because I want to use my SystemWide Upgrades to bump up, but it won't let me see any of the seating charts. If it's an American Flight, why won't it?

Question 3: Can I use my systemwides on this flight?
You will receive EQMs on the non-AA flights, but you can only use SWUs to upgrades segments that are on AA metal; i.e., ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Regarding your other questions....

Yes you will earn your EQM on any AA coded flight number using codeshare partners.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...quirements.jsp

If you want to assign seats call the EXP desk and see if they can assign seats for you. If not, you can ask them for the Record Locator Number for the operating airlines that are flying those segments and then go to their web-site and see if you can assign seats.

Last edited by FrontOfTheCurtain; Oct 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
If you want to assign seats call the EXP desk and see if they can assign seats for you. If not, you can ask them for the Record Locator Number for the operating airlines that are flying those segments and then go to their web-site and see if you can assign seats.
Or take your ticket number and call the operating carrier directly, rather than finding your record locator from the EXP desk.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
usually when I book my tickets to BOM from ATL, the LHR to BOM serviced by BA, after I have purchased the ticket, when on AA.com, looking at my reservation, it directs me to the BA site off the AA site to select seats, I have noticed that BA automatically assigns the emergency bulk head aisle seat, which I believe is a pay extra seat on BA.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by fotographer
I have noticed that BA automatically assigns the emergency bulk head aisle seat, which I believe is a pay extra seat on BA.
oneworld Emeralds, including AA Executive Platinums, are able to select exit rows and bulkheads at no cost.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
usually when I book my tickets to BOM from ATL, the LHR to BOM serviced by BA, after I have purchased the ticket, when on AA.com, looking at my reservation, it directs me to the BA site off the AA site to select seats, I have noticed that BA automatically assigns the emergency bulk head aisle seat, which I believe is a pay extra seat on BA.
There are different arrangements between AA & BA due to the JBA. Both AA & BA implemented the feature of being able to pre-assign seats for their code-share flights, which does not mean that it is possible on other AA code-share flights.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Kimpton Inner Circle, Starwood Gold, Global Entry, Precheck
For the Qantas portion, you will be redirected to the Qantas site (similar to what is described above with BA). I flew coach LAX-SYD / SYD-LAX. I was able to change to a bulkhead a day or two before the SYD-LAX flight, but the exit row selection is an additional charge.

FWIW, on the SYD-LAX leg, I received a nice "Emerald OW premium customer" welcome from the head flight attendant and offered a premium drink before departure.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Usafltg, suggest you read the T&Cs of your ExecPlat status that will clearly spell out the flights eligible to use eVIPs with, as well as the AAdvantage partner charts which also clearly spell out what mileage you will earn when flying a ONEWORLD partner but using AA flight numbers. It's amazing how much information you can find on the AA.com website, or in the ExecPlat Guide that came with your membership card and luggage tags. Many answers to questions like yours can also be found in the stickies found at the top of this forum too. You'll discover both the aa.com web site and this FT forum's wikis can be a font of knowledge. Welcome to FT and the world of AA ExecPlat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.