Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As far as cargo...AA having the only wide-bodies on SFO-JFK and LAX-JFK is (was) a huge plus. If they transition to all narrow-bodied aircraft on those routes, then they're just like everyone else (and make my job quite a bit harder.)

Originally Posted by pinniped
Well, I understand that flying fewer humans could open up capacity for a heavier cargo load...but if the optimal mix of pax/cargo was more on the cargo end of things, why aren't all airlines running their aircraft this way? In the process, they could market all sorts of "premium" services?

I just assumed that self-loading cargo (us) was more profitable than inanimate cargo...hence cramped seats and other lovely aspects of flying Coach in modern times.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbison
As far as cargo...AA having the only wide-bodies on SFO-JFK and LAX-JFK is (was) a huge plus. If they transition to all narrow-bodied aircraft on those routes, then they're just like everyone else (and make my job quite a bit harder.)
For containerized cargo, the A321 handles LD3s, and with only 102 passengers on board, there should be some cargo capacity. For cargo on pallets, on the other hand . . .
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm still thinking with just 36 Y seats, unless fares on AA are far above its competitors, 36 Y seats will be filled up very quickly. Generally its the leisure traveler that is booking six months out.

It sounds like AA really wants to hand off the low yield stuff to other carriers. Remember in the 2006 documenatry when the JFK/LAX flight was examined and it only made a net profit of $200 (of course that was one sole flight six years ago).
Putting aside the MCE vs. regular Y, I think the idea is that the average fares will be higher. They will be less incented to offer deep discount fares in advance to fill the seats because they know that as flight time approaches the business travelers (who can't book business) will start to show up. They're (1) less sensitive to price in general than leisure travelers, and (2) less likely to meet the advance purchase requirements of the cheapest fares. So AA may now be selling the last 60-70 Y tickets in the 3 weeks prior to departure. But they need/want to sell 30-40 more before that. With these new configurations, they have no need to sell those 30-40 in advance and can just sit and wait for the higher-fare customers to come by.

At the end of the day, it's basic supply and demand. Reduce supply (smaller Y cabins, even if they add a frequency or two), and assuming external demand remains constant, you can command a higher price.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbison
Yes, presumably your freight costs will go up. See my comment above about supply and demand.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Although with 1,000 Y seats being taken out of daily capacity (probably a little less since another frequency or two might be added) I'm not sure how cheapo Y fares there will be. Its seems as though AA is ceding that part of the market to B6 and other carriers. Even as it is I'm not finding much below $500ai RT for the JFK/LAX route. Of course, possibly to get a cheaper fare (and better chance at upgrading) one will now need to connect rather than take the direct flight.
This is a good point. A couple of extra flights would be welcome, but that is still a lot of seats disappearing. As you also point out, the non-stops on other carriers are not likely to get any cheaper. This announcement will still make me be willing to pay a small premium for AA even if I would most likely be in Y. The benefits of EXP should give me Y+, priority security (including Pre-Check), priority boarding, checked bags (in the event I ever did that), and a drink.

It's too early to know what the upgrade rates will be and how fares will shake out, but at the moment AA is presenting me with what looks like a solid transcon product in Y. This is something they aren't doing presently on the 762s. That is enough to make me want to stay with them despite a potential/likely reduction in upgrades.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks good, looks really good. Still, I can't wrap my mind around an AA without 767-200s, not to mention an AA with narrowbody Airbus! Oh well, the times they are a-changing.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
Looks good, looks really good. Still, I can't wrap my mind around an AA without 767-200s, not to mention an AA with narrowbody Airbus! Oh well, the times they are a-changing.
Agreed!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, presumably your freight costs will go up. See my comment above about supply and demand.
That's not the issue at all...Some freight can only move on a larger aircraft. AA has a monopoly on this space; often with such demand there's a backlog to book it. There is plenty of "supply"/carriers to move normal-sized freight/freight that can be containerized trans-con.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
^^^

Even with the possibility of more restricted upgrade space transcontinental, this is very good news. And I'd guess that the more restricted upgrade space might not be as as limited as it might seem, since it's quite likely AA will add one or more flights to the SFO/LAX-JFK routes.

More generally, it looks like the new planes throughout the domestic fleet bring some nice improvements.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by pinniped
I just assumed that self-loading cargo (us) was more profitable than inanimate cargo...hence cramped seats and other lovely aspects of flying Coach in modern times.
Not to break your heart, But us self loading cargo flying on Y tickets are less profitable than cargo. The C and F paid (depending on the pricing of those tickets), can be more profitable than the other cargo being hauled...

YMMV....or in this case...Your cargo may vary..
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Those pics look amazing, wonder if they will be able to retro 737's.

Originally Posted by TWA884
More photos:

First Class:

Business Class:

Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Given that cabin layout constraints are most likely responsible for the disproportionate F:J seat count vs the 762, might we see AA relax the sticker upgrade policy to allow upgrades from paid J? Could help soften the blow of unsold F seats by opening up more J for sale and/or disappointed elites hoping to jump from Y to J. Even if it's limited to full fare tix, could be a win-win solution (and didn't AA permit this a long time back? I know UA once did).

Does anyone think AA will supplement these flights with non-flagship service (from JFK or additional EWR) to make up for lost Y and give elites on cheapo tix other upgrade opportunities?

My hope is we'll see a few wide bodies (which could go J/Y only) or 2/3 additional AFS frequencies to soften the loss of J/Y seats.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:30 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
One question for the jetbridge experts: Is it feasible to board A321s from the 2L doorway or will everyone be traipsing thru F on their way back? Some airlines found that the left engine was too vulnerable to a jetbridge accident to continue boarding from 2L - apparently, the A321 has less margin for error than the 757.
It's feasible. As an example, US and many airlines operating the A321 do not use 2L for the reasons you suggest.

An old thread on airliners discusses it a bit more.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4628659/
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
...might we see AA relax the sticker upgrade policy to allow upgrades from paid J? Could help soften the blow of unsold F seats by opening up more J for sale and/or disappointed elites hoping to jump from Y to J. Even if it's limited to full fare tix, could be a win-win solution (and didn't AA permit this a long time back? I know UA once did)...
Or why not double upgrade with (double) stickers from Y to F???

If I was AA, I would probably not do what you suggest (stickers from J to F)...the harder it is to get to F, the more people will want to get in there and pay for it...or burn some miles+copay or SWUs...Let those F seats fly empty! Like QF or CX do?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Or why not double upgrade with (double) stickers from Y to F???

If I was AA, I would probably not do what you suggest (stickers from J to F)...the harder it is to get to F, the more people will want to get in there and pay for it...or burn some miles+copay or SWUs...Let those F seats fly empty! Like QF or CX do?
Just from my experience now its seems that J is always full, even on a Saturday night redeye, but routinely it seems that F goes out with an empty seat or two. I've even been double op up twice over the past few years on both the LAX and SFO routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.