SWU within 100hr window as EXP

Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA ExP
SWU within 100hr window as EXP

Probably discussed, can't find it, multiple Admirals Club agents couldn't answer for me....

I am EXP. I fly JFK-LAX almost exclusively. I try to use my SWUs for redeyes.

Very often, these do not clear at the time of booking and I've never had one clear post-booking before 100 hours.

My question is: once I get inside the 100 hour window, should I get off the SWU standby list? Will I ever get an upgrade with the SWU that I wouldn't have gotten with my EXP status?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
I would stay on the list. I regularly see SWU inventory open prior to sticker inventory.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I had UG cleared at time of booking (usually couple of months ahead of flying) in both directions of this route. It was however, always as part of an international itinerary (e.g. LAX-JFK-ZRH etc... and return).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by dgsplace
My question is: once I get inside the 100 hour window, should I get off the SWU standby list? Will I ever get an upgrade with the SWU that I wouldn't have gotten with my EXP status?

Thanks in advance.
AA is stingy about releasing C on this route but this is the approach I would take inside the 100-hr mark. Call reservations; find out how many Business seats are still left for sale and whether your sticker upgrade chances are good. If Business has seven or more seats, I would risk the sticker upgrade and save the SWU.

In the past you could be on both lists, but now you have to pick one or the other. So if you switch to stickers, ask the agent what your upgrade time stamp will be. I'm not sure if you will retain your SWU time stamp.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by dgsplace
The 100 hour window for EXP is for the sticker upgrades, not eVIP/SWU.
T-100 means nothing for eVIP/SWU.

I think the correct strategy for you is

1. request sticker UG at the time of booking. No request for eVIP.
2. set C-alert on EF
3. When C becomes available, call AA and use eVIP if you want.

Last edited by supergrandslam; Jun 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by supergrandslam

2. set C-alert on EF
This means others that booked later and waitlisted for a eVIP will clear before OP. Its possible for eVIPs to be cleared without EF showing any C availability. I've set alerts for my own flights where I was wait listed and I was upgraded without any EF alert (other than my backup seat availability alert).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Also, to OP, I've been on SFO-JFK before with my EXP upgrade request and seen the upgrade award show up on EF so that I've then called in with my SWU to jump the line and confirm my upgrade.

So, in addition to my above comment, keep in mind that they may release miles or SWU upgrades before processing elite upgrade list.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. set C-alert on EF
Are you sure that works? If only C1 is available, but they time you call AA, they may have started a processing a waitlisted eVIP from someone else, and then your eVIP may fail. Especially since EF's C alerrts can be rather slow many weeks out* (which is when C might suddenly appear). I've certainly had cases where I got the eVIP upgrade confirmation email from AA hours before I got the EF C notice, and by the time I got the EF C notice and reacted to it, the C was actually gone! If I hadn't been on that waitlist, I don't know if I could have reacted in time!

Waitlisted eVIPs are done in the order requested (within an elite status level). So there is a benefit to requesting an eVIP at the time of booking.

* EF explains on their website that their alert checks are done less frequently when the flight is far out in time, and more frequently as the flight gets closer to departure time.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
I've used SWUs to jump to the head of the line, before, within the 100 hour window--a couple of times, even while I was at the airport. Availability came up on Expert Flyer, I called immediately. It was a hassle because I'd already checked in, but they did it for me.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
mikelat and sdsearch

I am not against what you posted if op really wants to use his eVIP for JFK-LAX.
To maximize UG odds, just request ug with eVIP at the booking.
There is no reason to cancel the request at T-100.

But why did op ask about T-100?
I read that op actually doesn't want to use eVIP for JFK-LAX.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA ExP
mikelat and sdsearch

I am not against what you posted if op really wants to use his eVIP for JFK-LAX.
To maximize UG odds, just request ug with eVIP at the booking.
There is no reason to cancel the request at T-100.

But why did op ask about T-100?
I read that op actually doesn't want to use eVIP for JFK-LAX.
I do want to use eVIP for JFK-LAX or LAX-JFK. I just dont want to use unnecessarily.

Appreciate the all the advice.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by sukn:20944718
In the past you could be on both lists, but now you have to pick one or the other.
There is considerable experience and proof to the contrary. Much like your recent statement that CK trumps EXP for upgrades.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by djibouti
There is considerable experience and proof to the contrary. Much like your recent statement that CK trumps EXP for upgrades.
The policy to prohibit being on the sticker and SWU list simultaneously went into effect six months ago. If you don't believe me, why not just pick up the phone and ask an informed agent? Same with the CK situation. If you think they are not going to the top of the list, ask the CK desk. It really is simple as that.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:28 pm

Or I could not waste my time and trust the multiple recent and reliable reports on this forum.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by djibouti
Or I could not waste my time and trust the multiple recent and reliable reports on this forum.
Go for it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.