Wiki Posts
Search

American or Qantas to Australia?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2001, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
American or Qantas to Australia?

I have the option of redeeming exactly the same amount of miles on American or Qantas to get to Australia, in First. It seems to me that Qantas would be nicer, however, on American I would get 1/4 the way towards million mile qualification due to a way the program works. I'm also AA Platinum, not that I think that matters.

Now my question is, given those facts, is American first class to Australia still pretty nice, or is the Qantas experience so much better I should forfeit the closer-to-Lifetime Gold opportunity?
Old Mar 6, 2001, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
AA doesn't fly to Australia any longer. AA flights to Oz are codeshares with QF.

Both AA (codeshares) & QF flights earn miles towards AA million mile status -- but if you're in discounted coach, you only earn 70% of the mileage in QF.

For me, I compare the prices offered by AA & QF and take the most reasonably priced one, knowing that the seat will be on the very same QF aircraft.

------------------
My Aviation Pages
My Travel Pages
Old Mar 6, 2001, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
AA still flies to Australia? You sure this isn't a codeshare? If so, book it as AA and you'll get the best of both worlds- QF aircraft and service plus credit as if you flew AA.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 1:20 pm

Originally posted by pitflyer:
I have the option of redeeming exactly the same amount of miles on American or Qantas to get to Australia, in First. It seems to me that Qantas would be nicer, however, on American I would get 1/4 the way towards million mile qualification due to a way the program works. I'm also AA Platinum, not that I think that matters.

Now my question is, given those facts, is American first class to Australia still pretty nice, or is the Qantas experience so much better I should forfeit the closer-to-Lifetime Gold opportunity?
For a few miles more I'd go with CX and get a free stopover in HKG
Old Mar 6, 2001, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
I flew to Sydney for the Olympics, fully booked on AA, but it is codeshare with Qantas. I sure didnt mind... Qantas has some very nice planes... although I think that is the last time i will EVER fly that distance in coach (university trip book by the school: IAD-LAX-AUK-SYD, then SYD-LAX-IAD).

-Eli

------------------
Washington/Miami
AAdvantage Gold
Old Mar 6, 2001, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Quantas F is excellent.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Best of both worlds then, I did not know that. Thanks for not making me dig through that horrendous AA.com site to figure that out.

USAirways over 125k First Class award ticket to Australia on both American and Qantas. Looks like I should just go with American, get to fly on Qantas, and get the credit towards lifetime.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 6, 2001, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally posted by pitflyer:
Best of both worlds then, I did not know that. Thanks for not making me dig through that horrendous AA.com site to figure that out.

USAirways over 125k First Class award ticket to Australia on both American and Qantas. Looks like I should just go with American, get to fly on Qantas, and get the credit towards lifetime.

Thanks again!
Qantas is good! I've flown that route in F many times and it has a codeshare arrangement with AA. If you are using AA miles instead, I would explore the CX option. CX is even better than QF in F and you can stop in HKG. If you are using US miles then I think AA/QF would be the choice I would take.

I don't think you will get credit towards lifetime status on AA for an award ticket??
Old Mar 7, 2001, 7:58 am
Suspended

No miles given on a strictly award ticket. You can buy a cheap economy and get miles and use an award to upgrade but only to next class of service though.
Old Mar 7, 2001, 8:00 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I too really like Qantas - desite their recent difficulties!
Old Mar 7, 2001, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally posted by drtravels:
No miles given on a strictly award ticket. You can buy a cheap economy and get miles and use an award to upgrade but only to next class of service though.
Our friends at QF no longer offer upgrade awards to AAdvantage members, as I found out from painful personal experience last year.
Old Mar 7, 2001, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I'm not expecting miles from the trip. It's a trick that has to do with combining US and AA miles...
Old Mar 7, 2001, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I'm with Eli. That many hours in coach is excruciating. We flew in business class using award miles a couple of years ago. While we were comfortable, F is the way to go if you have the miles.
Old Mar 7, 2001, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
It's a very long flight...and is probley one of th THE best uses for FF awards to F. Same thing for HKG! And the flight's a treat if you like to deat, drink, and be pampered.
Old Mar 7, 2001, 9:12 am

CX has a much better F class, however, the trip from the East Coast to Australia via HKG will add about 8 hours flying time and another 18 hours layover time (the JFK or LAX flight arrives into HKG at 6am and the Australia flight departs HKG at night).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.