Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
Judge approves American/US Airways merger

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...27&id=16286650
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The proposed severance package includes $19.9 million in cash and stock as well as a lifetime of free first-class tickets on American for Horton and his wife.
WOW!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
That's exactly what I said too. That's more like an adamantium (yes I'm a nerd) parachute.

Another point is that the reorganization period extension was approved. I'm glad these extensions are limited -- by law, but they are taking the time to get as much right as they can. Hopefully.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
WOW!
HOWEVER, that severance package was not approved by the judge. The reasoning is that this merger is occurring during bankruptcy and not after exiting. It is not appropriate at this time. Doesn't mean it won't be approved later, but right now it's an 'eh, no' for Horton. Makes you think about why he was so adamant to wait on a merger until AA was out of BK...hmmmmmm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
This ruling is far from closing the deal for the merger:

1. This approved of the merger comes from the federal bankruptcy judge (Sean Lane) which is not the same as DOJ approval which is required and will be determined by a (different) federal judge, probably in August.

2. By rejecting Horton's severance at this time, the conditions of the merger cannot be fulfilled. If later approval does not come the merger will need to be renegotiated.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
Interesting news. Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Any more bad news?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by beerup
This ruling is far from closing the deal for the merger:

1. This approved of the merger comes from the federal bankruptcy judge (Sean Lane) which is not the same as DOJ approval which is required and will be determined by a (different) federal judge, probably in August.

2. By rejecting Horton's severance at this time, the conditions of the merger cannot be fulfilled. If later approval does not come the merger will need to be renegotiated.
Yes thanks for pointing that out. Many do not understand how this process works. This is just one of many steps to come. In the end it will get done. There has been no signficant political push back, so it will get approved by the DOJ.

This was just a necessary interim step since AA is still in BK so he must rule on such things. I also dont expect Horton in the end will have much to worry about his severance package. The board of directors can always sign off on that after the exit and will not need any judge to approve it.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
This is not the DOJ hurdle. I still think this merger, while good for US stockholders, is anti-competitive. We'll see what happens there.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
This is not the DOJ hurdle. I still think this merger, while good for US stockholders, is anti-competitive. We'll see what happens there.
The DOJ will not make any major waves about it. They would already be sending signals if there were. All things point to it will be a relatively easy approval. So folks not in favor will just have to get over it.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by grahampros
The DOJ will not make any major waves about it. They would already be sending signals if there were. All things point to it will be a relatively easy approval. So folks not in favor will just have to get over it.
Agreed - there will likely be some minor contingencies (loss of some slots at DCA) to help appease consumer groups.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by grahampros
I also dont expect Horton in the end will have much to worry about his severance package. The board of directors can always sign off on that after the exit and will not need any judge to approve it.
Indeed - Horton earned the $20kk by throwing himself under the bus, making the tough decisions to resolve labor issues, something NONE of his predecessors were willing to do.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Indeed - Horton earned the $20kk by throwing himself under the bus, making the tough decisions to resolve labor issues, something NONE of his predecessors were willing to do.
Agreed it was long over due it had to be done in the end. That was foreseeable as far back as 05 but ultimately the board made the decision and Horton was the chosen guy to do it. Arpey was just not cut out to make the tough choices that had to be made. It dragged on far to long.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Agreed - there will likely be some minor contingencies (loss of some slots at DCA) to help appease consumer groups.
Sounds about right, probably some slots at DCA perhaps LHR from the EU is about all that will happen, but AA/US already know that and have accounted for it.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I posted this on the ongoing main thread shortly after 4p ET when Bloomberg posted the story. Why did OP start another thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.