Help with flight notifications

Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Help with flight notifications

The other night when I was on the road my flight got cancelled at 1:30 am. My wife got woke up with a call to my home phone. I also got a call to my cell. I want to be able to disable calls to my home phone from like midnight to 6:00 am. Is that possible?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Sorry but no.

I have it just go to my cell phone.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan
Sorry but no.

I have it just go to my cell phone.
Thanks. I know that NWA had these settings back in the day. Boy I sure do miss everything about them, but am much happier at AA than I would be if I had stuck with Delta.

I guess I will turn off the calls to home, but since my work provided AT&T phone works like crap from home I would prefer to get calls on my home line when I am at home. I don't want her getting bothered in the middle of the night again.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
I have both my home and cell phone numbers included as well. I had not thought about disturbing my wife with a home call while I was away.

We had one trip when our outbound flight was canceled and my cell phone ringer was off (I set it to vibrate at night). My wife received the call on our home phone while I was in the shower. We were able to rush to the airport for flight that left one hour earlier. If we didn't get the phone call we would have missed our connecting flight that day and lost 1 day of a 4 day getaway.

So there are benefits of the redundant notifications...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by ksucats
Thanks. I know that NWA had these settings back in the day. Boy I sure do miss everything about them, but am much happier at AA than I would be if I had stuck with Delta.

I guess I will turn off the calls to home, but since my work provided AT&T phone works like crap from home I would prefer to get calls on my home line when I am at home. I don't want her getting bothered in the middle of the night again.
can you have the notifications go to your personal cell phone if it gets better reception at home than your work cell phone?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btwayland
can you have the notifications go to your personal cell phone if it gets better reception at home than your work cell phone?
I don't have a personal cell phone. I would never want to carry 2.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Why not just have text messages sent to your cell phone? Not sure but it seems to me the same reception level is not required for text as voice.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by magic111
Why not just have text messages sent to your cell phone? Not sure but it seems to me the same reception level is not required for text as voice.
Mine are text, but I still hear the little "ding." Of course, if there's a cancellation, I want to know about it as soon as possible so I can do something about it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Well this is a new one (for me)

Today I received a flight notification (text) for a flight I'm scheduled to depart on two days from now! This prompted my heart to skip a beat, and a quick trip to AA.com to ensure the reservation wasn't screwed up.

Other than upgrading from business to first I haven't made any changes since I booked it. Strange...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum
I was having the same problem with these middle of the night calls. I called the Platinum desk and described the problem. They transferred me to another department who took care of the problem. I no longer get AA wake up calls

I was told there was no way to disconnect the service except to call AA.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ksucats
I want to be able to disable calls to my home phone from like midnight to 6:00 am. Is that possible?
Since we've dug up this thread: OP, you can sign up for a Google Voice account and give that number to AA. GV allows you to ring different phones based on time-of-day.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I agree with the Google Voice solution. It's the best one. You can also forward it to voice maill.

As for me, AA can call me anytime and wake me up if they cancel a flight. The few minutes making alternate arrangements (which may or may not be the flight they protected me on) is worth it. I can easily go back to sleep, but I am also usually protecting upgrades, routings, or critical seat assignments that if I didn't receive my cancellation call from AA, I would have trouble arranging.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
I agree with the Google Voice solution. It's the best one. You can also forward it to voice maill.

As for me, AA can call me anytime and wake me up if they cancel a flight. The few minutes making alternate arrangements (which may or may not be the flight they protected me on) is worth it. I can easily go back to sleep, but I am also usually protecting upgrades, routings, or critical seat assignments that if I didn't receive my cancellation call from AA, I would have trouble arranging.
Since this got dug back up & I am the OP, I am not familiar with Google Voice. Can I forward it to my home phone depending upon the time of day?

Again, my situation is I want calls for cancellations to go to my cell 24-7. My cell doesn't work great at home, so I want calls to my home number also, but not in the middle of the night as to not wake the entire family.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
If it was a cancellation or something similar, that wouldn't have bothered me. It was the standard gate, departure time, baggage claim, etc. text they send before every flight. I received three of them about ten minutes apart, as if I were schedule to fly today instead of Thursday. International trip, for what it's worth...

Sorry for dredging up an old thread; I just hate starting new ones!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wolf539
Today I received a flight notification (text) for a flight I'm scheduled to depart on two days from now! This prompted my heart to skip a beat, and a quick trip to AA.com to ensure the reservation wasn't screwed up.

Other than upgrading from business to first I haven't made any changes since I booked it. Strange...
Similar thing happened to me earlier this year. Seemed a complete mystery at first, as I wasn't due to travel on that flight for another week. Turned out that I had put a reservation on hold for the day I got the call, never ticketed it, but the automatic flight notification thing had kicked in anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.