Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information
Print Wikipost

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bula! You can not earn EQ miles or points on FJ unless you purchase it as an AA codeshare. USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Access to Admirals Club/US Airways Lounges 22 Mar 2014"]Link [/URL][/B]to aa.com page on Fiji Airways. (Nor can you if you fly it as a QF codeshare, as FJ is not a oneworld carrier, nor is there an exception.)

You are likely seeing the lowest available fare buckets on FJ sold by FJ, and AA is not selling those.

Originally Posted by BrianV
Sorry to revive this, I'm trying to read through this, but I purchase a flight directly from fijiairways.com, it does say points earned on AA. Does this include EQM? I thought I read somewhere else that the flight had to be booked as an AA Codeshare to get EQM, but now I can't find anything on that. Regrettably, aa.com and fijiairways.com prices for the same flights are significantly different.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Bula! You can not earn EQ miles or points on FJ unless you purchase it as an AA codeshare. USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Access to Admirals Club/US Airways Lounges 22 Mar 2014"]Link [/URL][/B]to aa.com page on Fiji Airways. (Nor can you if you fly it as a QF codeshare, as FJ is not a oneworld carrier, nor is there an exception.) ...
I was under the impression that QF codeshares (as a result of the Emirates tie-up) now had universal exceptions. That is, if it is QF flight number, it will credit to AA. Note that most of the QF discount Y fare classes don't credit very much...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks! I knew that was true for EK, but I think one should check the QF Forum for QF rules regarding miles earning for QF; that would be a bonus if it di,d , though as you say, not always. Whether it will credit to AA, that's not a question I can answer - my previous experiences on FJ did not credit to AA when flown as QF in Tabua (Business) class.

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I was under the impression that QF codeshares (as a result of the Emirates tie-up) now had universal exceptions. That is, if it is QF flight number, it will credit to AA. Note that most of the QF discount Y fare classes don't credit very much...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Anyone see award space between SYD - NAN? Any method of booking this?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:06 pm

I just recently flew LAX-NAN-SYD. Had to call AA to book. I had no problem getting 2 seats in J and changing the dates a couple of times.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by footastic
Anyone see award space between SYD - NAN? Any method of booking this?
If you join QFF (free membership for US residents) then you can see Fiji Airways availability online. You may be able to fly to SYD via AKL if there are no direct flights from NAN. Use the multi-city facility.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Mileage posting time to AA from Fiji Airways / FJ

Does anyone have experience around the posting time of FJ flights to partner programs? I flew over 2 weeks ago and still haven't had anything appear in my AA account. I wasn't able to find an answer here through searching, so I thought it would be a nice topic to have started up.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
In the AA magazine earlier this month EQM was not checked on the partner comparison in regards to Fiji Airways. I had expected to see a check with an asterisk which states EQM only on AA codeshare/AA flight number.

I've got an excuse to go to Fiji and getting EQM may be the deciding factor on whether I go.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by BrianV
In the AA magazine earlier this month EQM was not checked on the partner comparison in regards to Fiji Airways. I had expected to see a check with an asterisk which states EQM only on AA codeshare/AA flight number.

I've got an excuse to go to Fiji and getting EQM may be the deciding factor on whether I go.
Well, you always, always earn EQMs if you have an AA flight number.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Hi,
is there any other way to get Air Fiji award other than with AA and AS miles ?
Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eddy421
Hi,
is there any other way to get Air Fiji award other than with AA and AS miles ?
Thanks
Also with QFF points, if you have them. Buying them is not really an option but they can be transferred to you for free if you know someone really nice.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I was under the impression that QF codeshares (as a result of the Emirates tie-up) now had universal exceptions. That is, if it is QF flight number, it will credit to AA. ...
That is the case-- a QF #'d flight will yield full AA EQP/EQM/EQS (yes, on the eligible QF fare classes) even if its operated by another carrier. It is a unique exception to QF (and, some say (including me) JL and AY) They just haven't updated AA.com yet, but all is confirmed with AAdvantage. QF is the "most" confirmed. But I have little doubt about the others based on extensive research.

As far as using Fiji goes, one thing to keep in mind (before buying a lot of miles, etc), they can be quite reasonable on the way back-- i.e. I recently purchased for a friend AKL-NAN-LAX-JFK and it was a pretty good deal: (popped up on expedia while searching for "premium economy" oddly.)

Auckland (AKL)-Nadi (NAN)
Duration: 2hr 55mn
Fiji Airways
Flight: 410
Economy/Coach Class (11A), Meal, AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A330-200

Nadi (NAN)- Los Angeles (LAX)
Duration: 10hr 45mn
Fiji Airways
Flight: 810
Business Class
(02K), Breakfast, AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A330-200

Los Angeles (LAX)- New York (JFK)
Arrive 10:00 pm
Terminal 4
Duration: 5hr 20mn
Virgin America
Flight: 412
First Class
(02F), Airbus A320,

$2,816.50
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:02 am

Fiji Airways Trip report

A detailed report about the A330 used by Fiji Airways on LAX-NAN;
http://thedesignair.net/2014/02/19/t...february-2014/
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Talking Bula class

Originally Posted by grussellt
A detailed report about the A330 used by Fiji Airways on LAX-NAN;
http://thedesignair.net/2014/02/19/t...february-2014/
Thanks for the trip report -
I am still busy monitoring awards ticket for a HKG-NAN and very happy to find finally a detailed review about the "Bula" class..
Design of the amenity kits / eye masks looks pretty cool for sure
More seriously, looks like a decent option vs the few alternatives I got...
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
To answer my own question to help people who may have the same question in the future:

I credited to AA. Miles posted 30 days after the last flight in the round trip itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.